Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my 987 Cayman’s sagging fabric headliner with Alcantara. I want to replace the fabric portion of the rear hatch trim, as well, to match the new headliner. I have been able to find the process for removing the complete trim piece (including the plastic surround) in the factory manual but there is no mention of separating the fabric portion. Can someone provide me with information on removing the fabric section? Does the entire trim section require removal or can just the fabric panel be removed?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am replacing my 987 Cayman’s sagging fabric headliner with Alcantara. I want to replace the fabric portion of the rear hatch trim, as well, to match the new headliner. I have been able to find the process for removing the complete trim piece (including the plastic surround) in the factory manual but there is no mention of separating the fabric portion. Can someone provide me with information on removing the fabric section? Does the entire trim section require removal or can just the fabric panel be removed?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just took mine off. There are 2 screws hidden under rubber covers closest to the hatch. Then take a pry tool and carefully pull all of the clips out. You will inevitably break one or two clips. I had to superglue a couple back on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just took mine off. There are 2 screws hidden under rubber covers closest to the hatch. Then take a pry tool and carefully pull all of the clips out. You will inevitably break one or two clips. I had to superglue a couple back on.
Bougie, thank you for your reply. I am interested to know if it is possible to remove the center fabric section without removing the plastic surround. If not, is it fairly easy to remove the fabric section once the entire piece is removed? Is the fabric panel removed by releasing the 15 or so clips that also hold the trim to the hatch or is it attached some other way?

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
The outer trim is thermally bonded to the pad section at those circular spots along the perimeter. Those "spots" have to be ground down to separate the trim the from pad section. Reattachement is by abs welding, bonding with adhesive or even using a sheet metal screw and washer (that I have seen). I just took mine off recently and had it redone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slicked1 - Thank you, that is what I thought from looking at the pictures. Does anyone here have a DIY process that they have used successfully? This is my wife's car and I don't want to screw it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to try the small sheet metal screw and the washer. Seemed like the safest play of the options out there. Buzz one off with the die grinder and see what depth of hole you still have. I bet you could use a #6 pan head sheet metal screw to resecure the spot. I'd also coat the joint with black silicone prior to reassembly to keep everything solid. You could use 5 min epoxy at each joint, but would need to use various clamps to hold it together during cure. I didn't care for that idea since you risk damage from the clamp on that pathetic soft touch paint. The screw and silicone will give you plenty of working time with little potential for damage.......food for thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts