Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove x73 suspension and revert to normal ride height? The car had the x73 option from the factory but my driveway is too steep and moving isn’t an option. Would new parts need to be bought or is the height simply adjustable to raise the vehicle?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is a rental. It's a steep driveway that goes down to a flat garage entrance. I may need to build a ramp anyway, but I first want to figure out is removing x-73 ride height even an option?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yes its an option. You can swap the sport suspension parts for the standard suspension just like many have done the opposite way that want the sport suspension. Take a look at Suncoast to see what parts are involved since they sell the X-73 setup.

I think your best bet would be to find someone with the standard suspension that wants the sport suspension and work out a trade with them.

Its essentially different struts, coils and sway bars. Its all bolt on parts so very doable as many have done the opposite of what you are wanting to do. Expect about 8 hours labor charge to do the swap not including any parts cost, plus a new alignment afterward so $1000-$1,300 or so for the swap depending on the shop

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A independent Porsche mechanic said “
The standard X73 shocks come with shock body and spring height collars which can be spun up/down to raise/lower the car. The front should have a near 1:1 motion ratio, meaning 1" on the collars should equal 1" of ride height at the wheels. (It's actually more like 0.97:1, but it's close enough to 1:1). The rear will have a ~0.65:1 ratio, so 0.65" at the spring collar should be about 1" at the wheels.

Once the ride height is set in the general desired height, the vehicle will be put on a set of 4 independent scales and fine tuned in ride height so that the cross weights are even.

A custom alignment will be done afterwards to finish the job. (Or a factory alignment if you prefer).”
This surprised me as I figured new parts would need to be bought. Anyone else agree with this?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have never heard of the sport suspension being ride height adjustable in any way, so that is news to me if true. That is typically how a full aftermarket coilover adjustable suspension works and why many pay a lot of money for that capability. I have never heard anyone talking about adjusting an X-73 suspension in any way, so anxious to hear what others have to say.

Its the springs that are lowering the car as far as I know no differently than installing H&R lowering springs which is not an adjustable setup. Even the adjustable coilover suspensions have a minimum drop factored in , so they will still be lower than a stock suspension even at their highest setting

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish my x73 was ride-height adjustable but it isn't. I fitted the x73 and previously had the base setup (the highest option, +20mm from x73, whereas pasm is +10mm). Labor was $895 at indy. I have the entire set sitting in my other garage, which is the 4 struts and 2 anti-roll bars.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Why are we/you making more complicated than it needs to be; just change the springs to stock non x73 springs.
I'm I missing something here ?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Why are we/you making more complicated than it needs to be; just change the springs to stock non x73 springs.
I'm I missing something here ?
The 981 is much more labor intensive to swap springs vs the previous 987 models. Its pretty much the same work just to do the springs as it is for the entire suspension, so you may as well install all the proper parts while its all torn down. The labor cost and work will be the same either way

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can you share any photos of the driveway, so we can offer more ideas?

Personally I'd try to find (or fab your own) ramps. I'd never modify my car that way to accommodate a driveway. Losing X73 will reduce enjoyment (subjective I know) 100% of the time, but deploying ramps is only a momentary inconvenience (that doesn't change the vehicle in a negative way).

These are some Race Ramps (extensions) that worked for my driveway. You could even stow these in your trunk if you wanted to use them elsewhere (other steep driveways you encounter while driving).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is pic of my VW, that I can get in the driveway. I tried my friends 987.1 and he could almost squeeze it in but didn't want to push it. Basically the driveway is steep, then down to a flat garage entrance. The top of the driveway also might be an issue, as it leads to a flat street that has a bump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish my x73 was ride-height adjustable but it isn't. I fitted the x73 and previously had the base setup (the highest option, +20mm from x73, whereas pasm is +10mm). Labor was $895 at indy. I have the entire set sitting in my other garage, which is the 4 struts and 2 anti-roll bars.
How many miles were on your car when switched to x73?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also have quite a steep driveway and have X73. When I come to the driveway or get off it I go on at pretty aggressive angle so as not to scrape the bottom. Might be one thing you can do?

I also have a set of the standard suspension sitting in my garage as I installed the X73 myself. It is quite the labour intensive process. I'll post pictures of how steep it is shortly and what angle I attack the driveway when I go on it and leave the house.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
First off, I don't have the stock tire sizes. I run Michelin PSS at 245/40/19 and 275/40/19 at the front, so that might give me a few mm of height given the larger overall diameter of the tires.

For clearance you can see that there should be 7 inches off the ground from the front bumper. A portion of the front bumper angles upward but then there is rubber guard at the bottom that extends one inch down so in reality it's 6 inches off the ground. The side of the front bumper is 5 inches off the ground and the side of the car is asking 5 inches off the ground.

I've also attached photos of how aggressive the angle is that I attack the driveway at. It also looks like I scrape but when I back out I never hear anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off, I don't have the stock tire sizes. I run Michelin PSS at 245/40/19 and 275/40/19 at the front, so that might give me a few mm of height given the larger overall diameter of the tires.

For clearance you can see that there should be 7 inches off the ground from the front bumper. A portion of the front bumper angles upward but then there is rubber guard at the bottom that extends one inch down so in reality it's 6 inches off the ground. The side of the front bumper is 5 inches off the ground and the side of the car is asking 5 inches off the ground.

I've also attached photos of how aggressive the angle is that I attack the driveway at. It also looks like I scrape but when I back out I never hear anything.

WOW, that is a steep driveway you have. I am amazed you never scrape.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
He would if he tried to drive straight in or out. The trick with any low car is to approach the dip from an angle if at all possible. This may or may not be possible in every situation through

If the dip is right in front of the garage opening for example, then you are screwed using that method and will need some sort of ramps or fillers to level things out like were shown earlier in the thread.

Before you do anything drastic, first make sure what you are hearing drag is really the front bumper and not just the rubber skirt hanging down. As stated there is about 1 inch flexible rubber flap under the car that serves as a warning that things are getting close that you may be hearing, but the car itself may not actually be hitting

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would definitely scrape and drag the bumper if I went straight in. If I had a GT4 bumper I would scrape I think still even if I went at an angle just because the overhang of that bumper is longer.

@ICNU is right. You just need to get at it from an angle and depending on how low you are and how steep it is, you'll have to come at it an even more aggressive angle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The difference between X73 and standard is not enough to give you a comfortable clearance solution in my opinion. About 3/4" barely. If you truly wish to make the car driveway proof, I think you need to go about it from many angles, pun intended. First, change your springs to add some height - maybe get 1.5" height. Talk the H&R guys. Second, decrease your camber adjustment - at alignment shop. Third, increase the profile size of your tires go to 40/20s or 45/19s., and Finally, remove the small hard plastic chin spoiler, and replace with the flexible - All Fit flexible splitter material. It is an easy install, screws firmly in place, and many race teams use it as air dams. It flexes on curbs, and comes back like new. All total, I think you will find 2' - 2 1/2", much better result than a full suspension swap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts