Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a thread about replacing items of trim with real carbon fiber, there's mention of how to remove the side intake surrounds, but no photos. I did this yesterday and took some photos, so here's the how to.

Here's what the intake surround looks like from the back:

And here's a photo showing the location of clips and tabs. Clips have hooks that engage and retain, while tabs are simply there to locate the item. There are six clips (three on either side) and five tabs. Note the tabs are all on one side and the top.

The corresponding holes in the body are shown here:

To remove the surround you should pull from the inside, with your fingers underneath the surround. Start at the bottom of the outside edge as shown in the photo below. Move up that edge to the top. Pull the top tab out next. This will leave only the inside edge clips holding, and these are the hardest to remove. You will find it easiest to twist the surround outwards while pulling on the inside clips. They are tight but will come out.

Once you've done whatever you have to do to the surround (I cleaned the bodywork, and wrapped the surround in CF textured vinyl) you simply push the piece back into the body starting with the top tab, then the inside edge, then the outside edge (where you started the removal) last.
Mine looks like this:

Cheers!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice work doc, have you considered other parts like the front lip or the rear diffuser? I think it looks great.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Well done!. Thought about going with real CF but really like how this turned out
In a thread about replacing items of trim with real carbon fiber, there's mention of how to remove the side intake surrounds, but no photos. I did this yesterday and took some photos, so here's the how to.

Here's what the intake surround looks like from the back:

And here's a photo showing the location of clips and tabs. Clips have hooks that engage and retain, while tabs are simply there to locate the item. There are six clips (three on either side) and five tabs. Note the tabs are all on one side and the top.

The corresponding holes in the body are shown here:

To remove the surround you should pull from the inside, with your fingers underneath the surround. Start at the bottom of the outside edge as shown in the photo below. Move up that edge to the top. Pull the top tab out next. This will leave only the inside edge clips holding, and these are the hardest to remove. You will find it easiest to twist the surround outwards while pulling on the inside clips. They are tight but will come out.

Once you've done whatever you have to do to the surround (I cleaned the bodywork, and wrapped the surround in CF textured vinyl) you simply push the piece back into the body starting with the top tab, then the inside edge, then the outside edge (where you started the removal) last.
Mine looks like this:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice work doc, have you considered other parts like the front lip or the rear diffuser? I think it looks great.
I have done the splitter and the diffuser and will post those photos on another thread. I hope this thread is helpful whether you replace the surround with real CF, or paint it, or wrap it and reinstall!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not able to see the photos. Are they still there, or is there perhaps something amiss with my computer settings?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts