Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I start looking a bit more seriously at what is currently available in a used Cayman, I've seen a couple of nice looking 987.2 cars that have had an R rear spoiler added. That's not my style, so I want to know - does the R spoiler leave holes in the deck lid when it is removed? Do I need to avoid cars with that upgrade?

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
773 Posts
Yes if you remove it that will have mounting holes in the hatch… I guess look for the S model with the electric wing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking at Rs, I'm looking at S models with the R wing retrofitted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm not looking at Rs, I'm looking at S models with the R wing retrofitted.
Ya I corrected before you saw it… yup I’d just find a regular S or base model without…unless you either fix the holes or just get another hatch without and keep both

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supply of spare hatch lids in these parts is slim-to-none. Having to ship a used one from somewhere seems both expensive, and unlikely to get it here w/o damage. Probably far cheaper to have the holes welded up and the hatch refinished. I'll just need to allow for that in negotiations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The lids are aluminum, though. Might be a bit more of a headache to find someone to fill the holes than it would be to find someone to weld steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lids are aluminum, though. Might be a bit more of a headache to find someone to fill the holes than it would be to find someone to weld steel.
Oh, I didn't know that. That means I'm back to the thought of having to replace the hatch to remove the added spoiler. I probably will want to not consider cars that have been updates with R spoilers.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The hatches are not aluminum… magnets stick to them like glue… they are steel. Besides there is a 10lb weight under the plastic trim on the hatch so you wouldn’t think Porsche would make a light hatch and attach a weight to it 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
24 Posts
My quite strong magnet gets zilch on the front and back lids of my 987.2 Boxster, consistent with many reports (e.g. “Thanks to careful weight control (among which is the introduction of aluminum boot lid and magnesium frame for hood cover), the [987] Boxster gains just 20kg.” Porsche Boxster 986 / 987. But if you’re lucky with the color, replacements may be cheaper than expected: https://www.redlineautoparts.com/po...trunk-lid-panel-arctic-silver-metallic-bc006/.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My quite strong magnet gets zilch on the front and back lids of my 987.2 Boxster, consistent with many reports (e.g. “Thanks to careful weight control (among which is the introduction of aluminum boot lid and magnesium frame for hood cover), the [987] Boxster gains just 20kg.” Porsche Boxster 986 / 987. But if you’re lucky with the color, replacements may be cheaper than expected: https://www.redlineautoparts.com/po...trunk-lid-panel-arctic-silver-metallic-bc006/.

No idea on a boxster… I was talking cayman which is what the OP was talking about.. yes the front boot lid is aluminum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts