Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the intake covers with the porsche letter are removable? Or do you have to remove the intakes and covers as one? If so, what are the steps?

I want to paint mine for a little flare

thanks

-d

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to

·
Registered
172 Posts
They are not. You must remove the entire intake manifold. I did mine and was pleased with the results. Removing the manifold is a timely process that includes removal of the fuel rails. There are YouTube videos and tech articles describing how to do it. Just take your time and make sure you have the proper tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
They are not. You must remove the entire intake manifold. I did mine and was pleased with the results. Removing the manifold is a timely process that includes removal of the fuel rails. There are YouTube videos and tech articles describing how to do it. Just take your time and make sure you have the proper tools.

Nice clear cover! How's the sound insulation?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice clear cover! How's the sound insulation?
The engine sound inside the cabin is incredible and "acceptably loud". With that said, the car also has ceramic coated catless headers and a Borla exhaust. There is only a slight drone between 2,100 and 2,400 rpm otherwise it sounds like a muffled race engine and you can still carryon a normal conversation. The car is my wife's weekend toy and she loves it even during long highway runs.

Very nice presentation. How and what did you use to paint them? How is it holding up?
It is holding up very well. I did it almost six years ago and it looks like it was done yesterday. Granted, the car is not driven in the rain very often and I do a keep it clean. As for the process, here is a link to the thread from where I asked the same questions and received good direction.

Todd

·
Registered
172 Posts
Below are the specific steps I did when painting my intake manifold (IM). Please note that in the thread I attached above, one of the posts show the IM being painted while still in the car. Although that is an option, I would not recommend it as I don’t think the results would be satisfactory:

Removed IM using instruction from P9 DIY. Painted manifold by: Washing in Dawn detergent, Sanding using 400 grit sandpaper, wiping down with paint prep and tack cloth. Sprayed 3 coats of adhesive promoter, 3 coats of Dupilcolor white primer for plastics, sanded trapizoid with 600 grit sand paper, taped off all areas except area around PORSCHE lettering, Sprayed 3 coats of White VHT High Temp engine block paint, taped over PORSCHE lettering and sprayed with Duplicolor Cast Aluminum High Temp engine block paint, removed tape from trapizoid and filled PORSCHE lettering with liquid masking tape, masked all areas around Trapizoid and sprayed with mutiple coats of Red VHT High Temp engine block paint, removed mask and liquid masking tape and touched up areas around lettering with white and red paint using a tooth pick, reinstalled IM.

Hope this helps.

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts