Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked for quite a while and do not see any posts on how to remove the panel containing the cigarette lighter in the 981. Anyone know of a thread or links on how to do this? Based on what I can see and feel after removing a couple of attachment points on the left side, it seems like pulling it forward could remove it, but no joy. I don't want to break anything. I want to access the 12V wires for a dashcam to avoid the adapter sticking out towards the passenger's legs. I actually have two dash cams (one pointing backwards) so I am using the outlet in the glove box for the one looking forward.
pass-footwell.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know the answer to your exact question, but why don't you just add a fuse tap to the fuse panel on the opposite side of the passenger footwell (door side)? That is how I hardwired my radar detector. It seems a lot easier, cleaner and 100% reversible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does your car have an outlet in the compartment under the center armrest?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any luck with removing that panel? I had the same idea and got stopped by the same problem.
I ended up tapping power off the cig lighter in the glove box. I routed the 12v power source to the place where the console cigarette lighter goes (I did not get the smoking package because I didn't know what that meant at the time, so I have a small storage bin there). I put a small black button there that turns on power for two dash cams. It was funny there was already a hole exactly in the center of the small storage box once you remove the rubber piece. Here are a few images. Removing the console trim to route the power wire was easy.

Glove-box-finished.jpg
camera-pwr-button.JPG
View-of-cameras.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Grand-C. I'm putting in a powered sub-woofer under the seat, and also looking for power. I missed the smoking package for the same reason.
In the annoying (if not criminal?) absence of shop manuals for customers, I've been able to get a surprising amount of information from the Porsche parts catalog site:
Porsche Genuine Parts - Porsche USA
The picture they give for this panel indicates that if you pop off the long side cover from the console there's a screw exposed that releases the panel in question. And that all worked out.
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 11.51.15 PM.png

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...The picture they give for this panel indicates that if you pop off the long side cover from the console there's a screw exposed that releases the panel in question. And that all worked out.
Wow, ever since I posted this (> 1 year ago) I have had that trim piece out of whack as I got it removed from one of the clips or tracks and could only get one side back on. It is not all that obvious, but now I at least know how to fix it! I have the file you referenced on my computer, but never thought to look at it. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts