Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone removed their rear spoiler motor completely? I had a body shop install my factory aerokit a while back, but they left the motor for raising/lowering the spoiler in there.

I'm itching to remove the motor out to save some weight. Just curious if anyone knows roughly how much that weighs, and whether it's hard to remove the motor once the rear bumper is out?

I'm not the best DIY kinda guy, so even removing the bumper will be somewhat of a challenge haha. But I guess the instructions on the net look good enough so far.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I removed mine when i went w a fixed wing. It weighs about 7# give or take. I took it out, because it was on the same fuse as the rear hatch, if i recall corectly. Not difficult, but it does require removal of the bumper cover

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi all,

Has anyone removed their rear spoiler motor completely? I had a body shop install my factory aerokit a while back, but they left the motor for raising/lowering the spoiler in there.

I'm itching to remove the motor out to save some weight. Just curious if anyone knows roughly how much that weighs, and whether it's hard to remove the motor once the rear bumper is out?

I'm not the best DIY kinda guy, so even removing the bumper will be somewhat of a challenge haha. But I guess the instructions on the net look good enough so far.

Thanks
I removed mine when i went w a fixed wing. It weighs about 7# give or take. I took it out, because it was on the same fuse as the rear hatch, if i recall corectly. Not difficult, but it does require removal of the bumper cover
7 lbs is spot on. Jhthornley not sure how you pulled it, but you do not have to take the rear bumper cover off (in fact I'm not how you would get it out from that direction....but whatever.) I just gutted my car in prep for a cage and took this out (cup wing in its place.) Simply remove the rear cover(s) in the hatch to get access to the tail lights and the motors. Its about 9 bolts, and two electrical connectors and the thing slides right out.

Good luck,
Mark

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Did not know you could get to the motor from the rear light housing openings. Will try that over the weekend then

·
Registered
864 Posts
My experience mirrors gt's. Remove interior carpet and unbolt from inside. Once the unit is removed you will want to use as Durametric Pro version to change coding to reflect a fixed wing. Otherwise you will get an audible warning every time you hit 70 mph. If you track the car, you will be amazed how many times this occurs per lap. Zinger, you must remove the vertical piece of carpet that is between the tail-light housings.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill. Not having to remove the bumper would be awesome for me already.

My car had the wing disabled when I had the OEM aerokit installed a while back. The bodyshop was just so lazy and didn't bother to remove the motor assembly out. I would love to remove the dead weight if it's not crazy difficult for someone who's rather slow/bad in removing stuff like bumpers. I mean I could manage simple oil and spark plug changes on a Honda with the right tools, but otherwise I generally haven't done a good job in installs etc for cars.

One last bit ... Do you just yank out the carpet between the headlights with your hands? Just wanna make sure I'm doing this properly. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
you guys are probably right. I've had the rear bumper cover off so many times, I figured I did for the wing motor removal. I think, like the other guys say, that you can just remove the vertical carpeted piece at the back of the trunk.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My experience mirrors gt's. Remove interior carpet and unbolt from inside. Once the unit is removed you will want to use as Durametric Pro version to change coding to reflect a fixed wing. Otherwise you will get an audible warning every time you hit 70 mph. If you track the car, you will be amazed how many times this occurs per lap. Zinger, you must remove the vertical piece of carpet that is between the tail-light housings.
Oh good point on the Durametric. I have access to a Pro and did a ton of stuff all at once (airbags, seat belts, etc.) You're 100% right though.....great catch.

Thanks Bill. Not having to remove the bumper would be awesome for me already.

My car had the wing disabled when I had the OEM aerokit installed a while back. The bodyshop was just so lazy and didn't bother to remove the motor assembly out. I would love to remove the dead weight if it's not crazy difficult for someone who's rather slow/bad in removing stuff like bumpers. I mean I could manage simple oil and spark plug changes on a Honda with the right tools, but otherwise I generally haven't done a good job in installs etc for cars.

One last bit ... Do you just yank out the carpet between the headlights with your hands? Just wanna make sure I'm doing this properly. Thanks
If memory serves - you have to take off a handful of trim pieces to pull the carpet. The plastic pieces generally hold the carpet in place - just use a flat head screw driver and pry underneath starting from the outside in. They are generally held by plastic retaining clips that just 'snap' into place. If you need pics I'll go dig out the pieces so you know what you are dealing with...

Good luck,
Mark

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If memory serves - you have to take off a handful of trim pieces to pull the carpet. The plastic pieces generally hold the carpet in place - just use a flat head screw driver and pry underneath starting from the outside in. They are generally held by plastic retaining clips that just 'snap' into place. If you need pics I'll go dig out the pieces so you know what you are dealing with...

Good luck,
Mark
Hi Mark,

That would be great if you have a moment to dig up those pics. Just to make sure I have an idea of what's out there. Not urgent of course. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
627 Posts
is Durametric Pro a must?
Enthusiast version won't do?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Over on the Cayman Register there is an article by Gatorbite about removing the carpet in the rear with some excellent photos.
Zinger take a look. I didn't get a chance to snap those pics & I'm traveling this week. If you still need them I can do it Friday.

is Durametric Pro a must?
Enthusiast version won't do?
You can't "code" the ECU with the Enthusiast. IE turn this off....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zinger take a look. I didn't get a chance to snap those pics & I'm traveling this week. If you still need them I can do it Friday.

No rush. Whenever you have them handy. really just something for me to work on when I get the time to spend some time on the car.

I don't have Cayman Register access (can't even sign up for PCA as i don't live in the US/Canada).

Thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts