Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every one of my cars has this thing going on with the rubber around the windshields and doors. I can't tell if the rubber is savable or if there is jus a contaminant on the rubber. I can't scratch it off so it'd have to be a chemical thing to remove it I would figure. Anyone have a pointer as I just ordered $150 in detailing stuff and forgot about his

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't have a definite answer for you, but you might try a little Goo Gone in an inconspicuous spot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used rubbing alcohol and it came off, but it did make the finish dull. My question is how do I restore the the semi-gloss finish?

Every one of my cars has this thing going on with the rubber around the windshields and doors. I can't tell if the rubber is savable or if there is jus a contaminant on the rubber. I can't scratch it off so it'd have to be a chemical thing to remove it I would figure. Anyone have a pointer as I just ordered $150 in detailing stuff and forgot about his

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mineral spirits on a rag works great for taking off oxydation. Then maybe something like Back to Black

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
What you are seeing us oxidation. Very, very fine steel wool (0000) will remove it. Just be very, very careful and don't rub too hard. I would protect it with one of the Chemical Guys products. You can even use one of their tire products.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly my super VRT bottle cracked and leaked everywhere. I has tried a rubber protectant but it didn't clean. That one Chemical guys bottle wasn't on my list. I'm just now getting back into keeping my car clean with uber products. It appears so much has changed in the last 5 years. I used to spend countless hours with a PC and a box of Adams products. I think I'll shoot or the Chemical guys stuff. I need to clean the wax off the radiator grilles as well.

Thanks all for the input, I'll probably try out several on each car haha

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had luck with Back to Black when I apply it with a toothbrush and scrub it real good, just wiping on and wiping off didn't give me any results. But it splatters everywhere with this method.

·
Registered
317 Posts
To remove the film and oxidation on the rubber, I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I first wet the eraser with water, wrung out the excess, and then rubbed the rubber pieces with light to moderate pressure. This process resulted in the complete elimination of the film.

Next I applied several coats of Mothers Back to Black to the cleaned rubber. The rubber looked as good as new when first applied. The downside with Back to Black, however, is that it washes away quickly, say after a few washes or several days of rain. I found that a much longer lasting solution is to apply several coats of Back to Black, and then a final coat of ArmorAll Outlast Trim and Plastic Restorer. In applying the Outlast, I found it easier to apply it about 30 minutes before I was going to wash the car. This way I did not have to be so careful applying the product, seeing as the excess that ended up on the body was removed in the process of washing the car. My wife's 2008 Saab 9-3 had this treatment done a few months ago, and the trim looks as good as the day I treated it, and it sits outside 24/7 nowadays.

I recently ran across the following review article of several trim-treatment products: Trim Restorer Showdown - Round 2 *Updated 7/8/14 (6 months)(Long and Pic heavy) - Car Detailing Product Discussion - Autopia

There are several products in it that I had not heard of before. Some seem to do an especially good job, but cost substantially more than the "over-the-counter" products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts