Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I've tried to search online, the forum, youtube clips etc. and can't think of anything else better than to share my issue and videos here with you 987 owners.

I purchased this brand new Remus Cat-back for my car 3 weeks ago from Modbargains.com for about $1600, I opted in for the 98mm Black tip option.

Installed the system with a friend of mine who owns a local shop (that i've done a lot of work with with previous vehicles) and it was a pretty straight forward install, no real issues other than it would've been nice if Remus provided new flange gaskets but oh well.

Love the exhaust, no complaints at all except this one smell very minute detail that I am hearing, that bugs the hell out of me and is sometimes embarrassing when i'm driving around a shopping plaza or coming to a red light.

Coming to a stop, in gear, engine is under load, from a bout 2000 rpm down to 1000 rpm, the exhaust starts spitting out this horrid fluttering/rattling/spitting noise right before the RPM's drop back to resting idle.

Every..single..time. Whether engine is cold or I just drove 50 miles.

The other part where this happens is if I'm just at a stop with the car on and i rev the engine. Again.. It sputters/flutters/spits what almost sounds like an exhaust leak right before it drops back down to resting idle.

Someone please tell me you've had this, and you know what is needed to fix it, I very much would like to say I'm completely happy with my purchase but I cannot at the moment as it makes the car sound terrible in my day to day driving.

I currently have been in contact with Michael from the local Remus warehouse nearby me in Emeryville, CA and he has forwarded my findings/email to him/videos to their R&D department in Austria. He has also offered to swap out the tips for a new pair if I wanted.

1st clip I took when I started hearing the noise:

Rear View with the tips on still:

Rear View with the tips off and this strange noise is gone:

I hope the videos help and the noise I'm complaining about is easy to hear. But on the video where I removed the tips, definitely the noise is gone. So my theory is the tips are the culprit, or at least severely enhancing this odd noise. Even with the tips off I can hear a little bit of a noise but at least it sounds normal and bearable. I feel like like the exhaust air is being sucked back forward right before it hits idle. I went under there with my bare hands, soapy water spray bottle, and even an incense stick to make absolutely it's not just some humongous exhaust leak that I overlooked somewhere at a clamp or flange, etc.

I greatly appreciate any feedback or solutions in advance.

Thanks guys,
Shaun

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hard to tell from the vid, but to me it sounds like a rattle in the tips due to a resonate vibration. Any possibility something is loose in the tips, or maybe there's a crack in them?

The problem is obviously there, as you have proven. I would definitely take them up on their offer to swap the tips out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell from the vid, but to me it sounds like a rattle in the tips due to a resonate vibration. Any possibility something is loose in the tips, or maybe there's a crack in them?

The problem is obviously there, as you have proven. I would definitely take them up on their offer to swap the tips out.
Yeah it revs up, falls back down and right before it hits idle RPM it's like a rattlesnake rattling its tail. It lasts maybe half a second or so.

I hope it's as easy as Remus identifying the issue that maybe entails how I clamped the tips or how far in/out they are position-wise. Or best case scenario I just have defective tips.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds like a resonant vibration. I have the cat-back Remus and had a major issue with vibration, which was initially an issue of the tips being too close together so that they would rattle against each other at a certain engine speed. Solved it by adjusting the spacer bracket that ties the two tips together. That worked well, at least until one of the brackets broke, and then I got rattling of two broken bracket pieces hitting together, again only at certain engine speeds. Solved that by cutting one of the brackets away completely - the system seems to be secure enough without them. So as of now - no more rattling.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sounds like a resonant vibration. I have the cat-back Remus and had a major issue with vibration, which was initially an issue of the tips being too close together so that they would rattle against each other at a certain engine speed. Solved it by adjusting the spacer bracket that ties the two tips together. That worked well, at least until one of the brackets broke, and then I got rattling of two broken bracket pieces hitting together, again only at certain engine speeds. Solved that by cutting one of the brackets away completely - the system seems to be secure enough without them. So as of now - no more rattling.
I have had this exact same issue. One spacer bracket broke near the weld and was banging/rattling at certain RPM. Try pulling your exhaust tips apart and see if there is a break somewhere in those spacer brackets. Easy fix if there is. I fabricated a simple bridge between the two exhaust pipes since I think the two sides of the system need to be structurally tied together, or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.