Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be a subject that has been endlessly discussed, so, sorry to bring it up again, but I have not been able to tease out the information I'm looking for. I think I've read just about every thread on the subject including Gator Bite's shootout. Here's where I'm at.

I know this is a personal thing and I know that internet sound clips are not 100% accurate, BUT, I like the Remus sound the best. Unfortunately, there has been almost no comment on this form specifically about Remus. What I'm looking for is first hand experience/comment similar to what Gator Bite has published about Borla. OK, that's not likely to happen since Gator's stuff is about the best you will ever see anywhere, but some sort of assessment of quality, install difficulty, sound, resonnance (drone), company integrity and so on would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Do some searching. There's been a couple of threads by Remus owners on install and sound. I remember them from when I was going through the same debate.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . What I'm looking for is first hand experience/comment similar to what Gator Bite has published about Borla. OK, that's not likely to happen since Gator's stuff is about the best you will ever see anywhere, but some sort of assessment of quality, install difficulty, sound, resonnance (drone), company integrity and so on would be much appreciated.
Did you take a look at this Article by grrlsix? - definitely Gator Bite-worthy:

Remus Catback Exhaust (686006_1705) Installed by TRG - Articles

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love the Remus after a year's experience with it. Low speed burbles and growls sound really mean and nasty (that's good IMO). Higher speed - a bit of drone but I've never found it obnoxious unless you're a "lugger" in high gears. Superb workmanship.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Here is my thread (with different videos) on my Remus exhaust (with Fabspeed catted headers):
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/36781-clips-fabspeed-headers-remus-exhaust.html

I love my setup - nice rumble at idle and when driving around town, but builds to a nice exotic rasp at 3800 rpm - it will get attention when you decides to wind it out. Good thing is I can also take this car on a long roadtrip (with my fiancee) without her complaining about drone/loudness/etc. And to be honest, I have set my cruising speed at 65 and 70 in 6th gear and can't say there is much drone (check out the cruising in 6th gear clip).
Tips are ceramic coated black, along with the downpipe. BTW, the exhaust should be slightly louder since it's mated to high flow cat/header.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any sound clips you find will be of little use - they just don't do justice to the exhaust systems out there.

The exhaust that is right for you might not be right for someone else. I purchased KS-CS's Fabspeed unit that he did not like but I love it.

My point is that you need to find willing members near you that have exhausts you are interested in. Listen to the car in person. If possible, ride in the car to get a sense of volume, tone, & drone. This is the only reliable way to get what you want.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any sound clips you find will be of little use - they just don't do justice to the exhaust systems out there.

The exhaust that is right for you might not be right for someone else. I purchased KS-CS's Fabspeed unit that he did not like but I love it.

My point is that you need to find willing members near you that have exhausts you are interested in. Listen to the car in person. If possible, ride in the car to get a sense of volume, tone, & drone. This is the only reliable way to get what you want.

good luck!
I completely agree with your logic, but I also believe that the chances of finding someone with the exhaust I'm interested in to listen to are slim to none. I will likely pay my money and take my chances.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just installed my Remus cat back yesterday. Took me about 4 hours. but a lot of that time was wasted because I only had one jack and had to do one side at a time. (unrelated story how I came to have just the one jack) -- anyway, despite that, the Remus system bolted on perfect. No trouble at all getting things bolted in and lined up right. The large Remus tips look very aggressive and the entire system is very well constructed. nice materials, welds and such.

And the sound when I fired up the car was amazing. At idol, it isn't obnoxiously loud but you can tell there is a beast lurking in there and a few quick blips on the throttle put an exclamation point on it. Now if it wasn't for the pile of snow we got here, I'd report on how it sounds at speed but that will have to wait until the roads are more passable.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
O.k., I'm new to this but would you explain what a "cat back" is. Is this a setup which can use straight "catless" headers? I have a Fabspeed setup now with the stock headers and cats.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
bwiniarczyk

Well If you watch or participate in any of these ....
1.Porsche Supercup
2.Formula 3000
3.Rally
4.Motocross
5.Superbike
6.Endurance Races

Then you are most likely hearing a lot of Remus Exhausts.
along with being the World Market leader and the #1 Exhaust Manufacturer in the World .
Not to mention they are the OEM for Porsche AG Leipzig,Porsche AG Ludwigsburg,Poprsche Valmet http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...37myDQ&usg=AFQjCNHXlrgfMRbw40t_f7hpQoytaDmPag
also Mercedez AMG and Bently and the List goes on for quite a while .as well as many of the worlds Top Tuner co's .This is a Company with a huge resume and It all started with 5 people in 1990 .Pretty cool
Open the link above for the Valmet,Interesting The Cayman Is produced there :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
O.k., I'm new to this but would you explain what a "cat back" is. Is this a setup which can use straight "catless" headers? I have a Fabspeed setup now with the stock headers and cats.
Cat back means after the primary cat converter. When folks here talk about replacing cat back system, they are simply replacing everything after the primary cat. However, you still have a cat (because the cat on the boxster/cayman is an integral part of the header).

Your Fabspeed setup, because it retains the factory header and cat, is a cat-back system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
feedback I have received over here in the UK is that the Milltek is also a good option, quieter than the Remus and has no drone.

to quote Karel.....

"I Drive a Full Milltek System - 100 Cell Race Headers and No Secondary Cats in the Catback/Silencer Assembly.......... I Can Drive and Accelerate in 6 Gear from 30 mph to 170 mph with NO Drone..... Milltek is renowned for this performance - it is not Loud (Do I Want to Draw Attention with a Bright Yellow Car?) but gives performance (Flow) enhancements......"

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Thanks lithium, I get it now. I wonder why only some the the exhaust manufacturers use the cat-back term? It makes it a bit confusing.
:thanks:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Thanks lithium, I get it now. I wonder why only some the the exhaust manufacturers use the cat-back term? It makes it a bit confusing.
:thanks:
Cat-Back is an abbreviation of: catalytic converter(s) back.

Depending on the car setup, the actual catalyc converter(s) position will vary thus the size of the system.

Glad to see you like your system Bwiniarczyk;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just installed my Remus cat back yesterday. Took me about 4 hours. but a lot of that time was wasted because I only had one jack and had to do one side at a time. (unrelated story how I came to have just the one jack) -- anyway, despite that, the Remus system bolted on perfect. No trouble at all getting things bolted in and lined up right. The large Remus tips look very aggressive and the entire system is very well constructed. nice materials, welds and such.

And the sound when I fired up the car was amazing. At idol, it isn't obnoxiously loud but you can tell there is a beast lurking in there and a few quick blips on the throttle put an exclamation point on it. Now if it wasn't for the pile of snow we got here, I'd report on how it sounds at speed but that will have to wait until the roads are more passable.
Thanks for the comments on the install and sound. My systen should arrive this week but I don't plan to install till April, just too cold till then. Seems like you guys got all the snow this year, here in westery NY we have very little, just very cold.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the install and sound. My systen should arrive this week but I don't plan to install till April, just too cold till then. Seems like you guys got all the snow this year, here in westery NY we have very little, just very cold.
I used to live in Rochester, so I know what you have to put up with. And unless you have a heated garage, it'll be a bigger challenge. Just make sure you soak plenty of liquid wrench/PB blaster on all the the bolts. Esp. the bolts from your cat/header - nut is copper (take your time so you won't round the nut out), and the bolt is steel and permanently welded to the flange.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts