Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in buying a 2014 Cayman S PDK and the only thing that came up on the pre purchase inspection report is that the car has repeatedly been at the low/min coolant mark every time it's been brought in for service. My last car went out with a head gasket leak and was eating coolant, so this makes me a bit cautious.

Some research I did it seems like this is something other 981 owners may have faced, but thought I would ask.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Mileage? It's unlikely someone could drive a car with a bad head gasket over an extended interval without evidence of such or discovery by a service technician. Additionally, there are a variety of other reasons the car could be losing coolant your mind simply skipped to an expensive one. To answer your question it should not use coolant on the regular. Lastly, what you typed is exactly why I'm skeptical of PPI inspections. Why isn't the mechanic checking the system for leaks? Cap, hoses, O rings, even the radiators; if they aren't going to follow up on the information they unearthed then the "inspection" has far less efficacy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage? It's unlikely someone could drive a car with a bad head gasket over an extended interval without evidence of such or discovery by a service technician. Additionally, there are a variety of other reasons the car could be losing coolant your mind simply skipped to an expensive one. To answer your question it should not use coolant on the regular. Lastly, what you typed is exactly why I'm skeptical of PPI inspections. Why isn't the mechanic checking the system for leaks? Cap, hoses, O rings, even the radiators; if they aren't going to follow up on the information they unearthed then the "inspection" has far less efficacy.
Forgot to post mileage, 29k miles. I may opt for another inspection on the cooling system itself. There were no obvious leaks which is why my mind jumped straight to a possible head gasket leak. My last car also went out with a gasket leak which is why I'm suspicious lol

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
There is no nexus from what happened to your last car and this car, I think conflating the two vehicles is doing you no good. It's likely something simple, seems to me the seller should be tracking it down not you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is no mistaking coolant in oil for a head gasket leak. When an oil change is done you can either see it if it’s bad (milky), or get a used oil analysis to detect a small leak. check for small leaks that dry up before a drop on the floor is observed. Different car but my 04 WRX leaked coolant from the bottom of the lower radiator hose, Never saw a drop anywhere, it did this for years, so I just filled the overfill every few months. When the radiator finally went , I saw the evidence , since then no issues. Definitely get the cooling system checked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 981 GTS with 28,000 miles generally needs a small spash of water every month. Seems to be better with a new cap as the quite fragile plastic tab that stops it being overtightend had broken off. The same I realise now had happened to my previous 981. If your cap doesn't stop with a definate feel, the tab might have suffered the same fate.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
934 Posts
I'd start with replacing the cap. If you see some crusty stuff around the fill area, or if the cap is difficult to remove or tighten, that's most likely the culprit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd agree with starting with cap replacement. My 981 Boxster S is 8 years old, 60K miles, daily driver year round, and has never had any coolant issues. I've added coolant 3-4 times over the years, but it only took ~2 ounces to make the silly float stick pop right back up. The technician who reported low coolant may have only added a few ounces, just like I did. I also did have to replace the cap around 40K - I was smelling coolant and there were no obvious leaks but some white crusty stuff around the cap. Cleaned it up and the new cap fixed it.

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well my 987 if it relates at all, had a coolant leaks when I bought it at 97k. Bills: Rad Cap $180, water distribution pipes etc $883, coolant valve plus etc $751 = $1814 three trips to my indy. Get a full inspection and have them take off all the plastic so they can look for leaks, there are a lot of radiators on these babies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd start with replacing the cap. If you see some crusty stuff around the fill area, or if the cap is difficult to remove or tighten, that's most likely the culprit.
I really want some track tires and like the look of the Nitto NT01's how do you like them? what else have you tried? R888R's? I just started and ran my street Michelin 4's which were "fine".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep. This happened once to me (2015 Cayman GTS) where I had to add about 3 pints of water while on a trip to the mountains. Had it checked out, with no "problems" reported, but the "cap" was a bit crusty and its "click" mechanism broke while trying to unscrew the cap. Replaced the cap (now 2 years or so later -- pre-COVID) and no warnings. I do check the level every year or so.. and maybe a few ounces of fluid to top up the "silly float" indicator.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 987.2 with the same engine as yours. At about 8 years old, but less milage than yours, I noticed a leak in the "O-ring" where the metal tubing from the water pump connects to the rubber tubing leading to the radiator in front. The coolant level had dropped to give a warning. I noticed a small puddle on the garage floor just behind where the driver seat would be located. When I took off the panel under the car I could see the tubing and pink crud had collected at the joint between the rubber hose and the metal tube from the water pump. I understand that this is not a unique problem and I learned of the fix from this forum. Although I could have probably just replaced the "O-ring", I also replaced the rubber hose. There has been no leak since.

·
Registered
2014 Porsche Boxster S PDK, 2009 Porsche Cayman S PDK
16 Posts
I have a 2014 Boxster S with 67k miles. Last month at a regular service the mechanic noticed indications of a coolant leak at the bleeder valve under the car. He replaced the valve but the problem really was a small hairline crack in the pipe that the bleeder valve is in. Cost to replace was approx $500. He said with the age of the car and the location of this plastic pipe he is beginning to see more of these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just "re-checked" my water level... after a year or so. I added a little over a "cup" of water to re-float the indicator thing. I do not see any leakage (puddling) on my garage floor.
I still think the major "alarm" was a leaking cap and driving at elevation during a club "tour" of Yosemite roads. Not sure if a cup (or about 300ml) of water after a year or so is an alarming amount, but I'm due for my "annual" check up in Jan. I'll make sure the mechanic does a good look at the bleeder valve and front radiator area. thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I really want some track tires and like the look of the Nitto NT01's how do you like them? what else have you tried? R888R's? I just started and ran my street Michelin 4's which were "fine".
For grip, I absolutely loved the NT01's. Huge step up from street tires.

My other preferences would be the new Continental Extreme Contact Force or the Bridgestone RE-71RS, if they're available in your size.

Hankook RS4's wear like iron, but the grip is a pretty significant dropoff from the NT01's.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a 2014 Boxster S with 67k miles. Last month at a regular service the mechanic noticed indications of a coolant leak at the bleeder valve under the car. He replaced the valve but the problem really was a small hairline crack in the pipe that the bleeder valve is in. Cost to replace was approx $500. He said with the age of the car and the location of this plastic pipe he is beginning to see more of these.
I replaced that same pipe. Same issue. I think the expansion of that plastic, especially with high temps and track use, makes those hairline fractures happen quite frequently. Pretty easy to DIY.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts