Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't like the "all black" look on my 981 from the rear....especially that black exhaust tip.
I think Dark Beauty is screaming "I need some chrome".

Has anyone considered these : https://flat6motorsports.com/collections/981-exhaust
Alternately, the single pipe in chrome would also be nice....but I can't find one.
Could I get the existing one chrome-plated ?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just get a new/used double T or X-type in chrome. It will improve the looks and exhaust flow

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Just a heads-up if you were thinking about this being an easy DIY job. The tips are WELDED (at least on my GTS), not held with a bolt, like most of us would assume. It might still be a DIY job if you're good at welding, but torching that area so close to plastic would scare me, so I'd definitely get the exhaust removed, making it a more complicated job that you might be thinking. And if you're going to remove the exhaust anyway, might be cheaper to just get it chromed. Hope this helps. And yes, I was initially outraged by the $650 charge for the factory chrome tips on my black GTS (should be cheaper than an S, not the same, since GTSs come with black-chrome tips already), but after seeing they were welded, wouldn't want to deal with a change. And yes, a black car looks infinitely better with chrome tips IMO too, even though I hate chrome anywhere else;). Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow ! Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't check it out in detail yet.
I've got to check with Flat6Motorsports to see exactly how they retrofit the replacement.
I wonder if I can saw-off the existing tip ? Hopefully, they have employed an extension in their tip to make it easier than removing the whole exhaust.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
186 Posts
With the chrome PSE tips I even left on the chrome dealer license plate frame, which I would never have done if the tips weren't chrome too. Also the badging on the back is chrome and I feel like it all works together pretty well. At night the led license plate lights really light up the chrome- I like the way it looks. (Sorry for the sideways pic) The chrome tips pop even more when the car is parked on blacktop rather than cement.

My car is jet black metallic, so plenty dark too. Adding some chrome makes a lot of sense to me. Go for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Where do you suggest I look ?
Check out these:
https://flat6motorsports.com/collections/987-exhaust/products/afe-dual-polished-tips-cayman-boxster-987-1

They are designed to avoid collision between exhaust gasses coming from opposite ends. A very innovative approach.

The tail pipes and tips are interchangeable between 987 and 981. I know since I have a 981 Spyder version on my 987.2

Warning about chrome tips: they get dirty quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Chrome tips definitely do need to have a quick wipe down after each drive. Thankfully a 3 second wipe with dry paper towel does the trick. Very unlike wheels, where darker colors save you time when it comes to keeping them looking nice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow ! Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't check it out in detail yet.
I've got to check with Flat6Motorsports to see exactly how they retrofit the replacement.
I wonder if I can saw-off the existing tip ? Hopefully, they have employed an extension in their tip to make it easier than removing the whole exhaust.
FabSpeed and other say it is a direct bolt on with no welding required. Has anybody else installed them? BCV, FabSpeed or others?

"These exhaust tips for the Porsche 981 Boxster and 981 Cayman are a quick bolt-on option for upgrading the look of the already aggressive rear-end. Available in polished or carbon fiber finishes, these exhaust tips are the extra flair that will set your Porsche 981 apart."

' The DREAM 1 and 2 are a bolt on replacement of the stock exhaust accumulator.
- The stock mufflers remain in place."

·
Registered
186 Posts
FabSpeed and other say it is a direct bolt on with no welding required. Has anybody else installed them? BCV, FabSpeed or others?

"These exhaust tips for the Porsche 981 Boxster and 981 Cayman are a quick bolt-on option for upgrading the look of the already aggressive rear-end. Available in polished or carbon fiber finishes, these exhaust tips are the extra flair that will set your Porsche 981 apart."

' The DREAM 1 and 2 are a bolt on replacement of the stock exhaust accumulator.
- The stock mufflers remain in place."
I don't have stock tips, I guess, since I have the PSE option, which was factory installed. But my tips are clearly welded on. IMG_8377.JPG

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have to remove the piece the tips are welded to from the exhaust. Requires loosing clamps, spreading mufflers, and possibly unbolting down pipe from header. Not saying it's a difficult job but I'd say it's not an easy one either.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I don't have stock tips, I guess, since I have the PSE option, which was factory installed. But my tips are clearly welded on. View attachment 167306
THEY ARE stock tips buddy, since they're factory installed. We don't know if the base exhaust also has the tips welded, but I suspect yes. Bottom line is with welded tips, it's far from a 'bolt-on' job;), since that really means bolt-off of original part and bolt-on of new one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can confirm that on a base 987.2 exhaust, the tip is not welded on. I know because I removed one by loosening the clamp that held it in place. This is the case with all Cayman/Boxster singe-T shaped tail pipes. As far as I know all double-T tail pipes have the tips welded to the pipes, so you have to replace the whole double T piece in order to get new tips.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Exactly, What I was trying to explain to ELP-Jc\C, but I guess I was not wording it correctly.. Thanks, I also have a '15 BGTS and can confirm the same!

·
Incurable Gearhead
953 Posts
Part looks like this, same setup, which is off of a 987.2 R...
5739FF54-9822-4F40-BEB6-9E44FB0F8EC5.jpg

Speaking of which, anyone know if these will also fit 981?

·
Registered
49 Posts
After reading some customer reviews on FabSPeed, this is the closest answer I can find. The car needs to be up on jack stands and the mufflers spread to allow removal. It is "bolt on" with a bit of a twist. And no we aren't talking about just the tips but the double t as well where "some" performance gain and power are made.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts