Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved to Louisiana and had to get an inspection done. My tint failed inspection, too dark. I have to remove it and re-tint my two side windows.

A local shop quoted me $150 to remove the tint and then $200 for new tint. $324 for ceramic tint.

This seems alarmingly high, no? Am I getting Porsche taxed or is this just what it costs now?

Matt

·
Registered
237 Posts
Seems very high. Takes five minutes to remove with a steamer. I paid $25 for no-name replacement on the passenger window of the Jeep - maybe that's the beater discount? My BS was $225 including the rear window.

Either look for a different tint shop or a different inspection station - I'm sure there are many cars in LA with 20% or darker that "pass" inspections.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I paid $350 for all windows (except front of course) on my 981. It looks like they are not too far out on the re-tint just for the sides but gouging you on the removal price considering its not a hard or time consuming job

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m going to try another test station, top down and windows down, to see if I can pass. I’ll pay a ticket before I pay nearly $500 for two windows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had my 981 done in E.NC for $150. Drivers window tint replaced for $10. After cataract surgery, the reflection/glare from the sun was more noticeable, so he did amber on the windshied inside & replaced the dark 6" strip on top for $20. They saw your car & said this guy has the $$.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s what I’m thinking....Porsche tax. Eff them.

How hard is it to remove the tint myself? Is this something that I ought to attempt on my own? For $150 just to remove it...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That’s what I’m thinking....Porsche tax. Eff them.

How hard is it to remove the tint myself? Is this something that I ought to attempt on my own? For $150 just to remove it...
Just need a scraper blade, a heat gun or good steamer to get the glue softened up and then it will peep right off. Should be plenty of videos on You Tube

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had ceramic tint done on all 4 the windows of my Boxster, it was about $400. A month later something hit my windshield requiring replacement, in a way I was glad since the windshield tint was bothering me at dusk and dawn when it was neither dark nor bright outside.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
We are a tint shop on the East coast. (PA) If you came to our shop and wanted ceramic tint the cost would be $20.00 per window to remove and $200.000 to have the 2 front windows done. Keep in mind ceramic is considered a high line film since it has really good heat rejection qualities over standard tint. You could always ask for a Lower grade material rather than ceramic and it will bring the price down. You just won't have the heat rejection aspect as far as performance goes.

So I moved to Louisiana and had to get an inspection done. My tint failed inspection, too dark. I have to remove it and re-tint my two side windows.

A local shop quoted me $150 to remove the tint and then $200 for new tint. $324 for ceramic tint.

This seems alarmingly high, no? Am I getting Porsche taxed or is this just what it costs now?

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts