Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Replaced the CDR-24

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SSearchVT 
#1 ·
After experiencing issues with the OEM CDR-24 head unit the past couple of years, finally got around to getting it replaced with a Pioneer AVH-X390BS. Didn't want to spend too much, but wanted hands free calling capabilities. Also added a Rockford Fosgate R150X2 amp to power the two woofers in the doors.

Car Vehicle Electronics Multimedia Center console
Technology Electronics Electronic device
Vehicle door Cable Technology Vehicle Car

See less See more
#3 ·
I had it professionally installed, consequently, I'm not aware of any installation issues (the installer did not indicate there were any problems). I supplied the head unit, amp, wiring harness from Euro Motorspeed, and the American International POR911S radio installation kit.

The installer removed the CDC-4 CD changer and mounted the Rockford Fosgate amp in the space adjacent to where the CD changer was mounted. The installer fabricated a base for the amp to keep it secure.

#5 ·
The Bose fiber optic system paints you into a corner... I went the route with the NAV Kit 210 ($600) and was able to keep all of the speakers working. All of my work was under the dash and it took about an hour above and beyond drawing up a schematic and soldering on my workbench. The other route is to replace the Bose amp with either a 6 channel or a 4 and a 2 and either chasing down a harness adapter for all of the speaker wires (about $50) or seriously cutting into the stock one... I'm very happy with the sound quality from the stock Bose system - noting, it's a noisy car to begin with...

#8 ·
The stock bose amp uses a fiber optic signal from the head unit - so no, you wouldn't be able to retain the stock one. This is where the NAV adapter comes in. It gets installed in the dash and converts the new head unit RCA signal into an optical signal to be fed to the bose amp.

If you want to ditch the bose amp and change everything - Take a look on ebay for a cayman bose amp bypass harness - it has the mating connector to let you unplug the Bose amp and plug into the stock harness. If you pull the amp cover off in the front trunk you'll see it. Keep in mind there are 6 front speakers (2 door, 1 dash - the mid and tweet have a crossover or series wiring), a center dash, 2 rear, and a subwoofer (passenger footwell). All the speakers have weird impedance's, some as low as 1 ohm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.