Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first I would Like to introduce myself. I recently purchased a Used 2007 cayman 2.7. I truly enjoy the car should have bought one a year ago. Instead I spent a year in a STI.

Now the real reason for the post.
I am intrested in putting 18's on my car to replace the 17's.
Has anyone had experience with the Rad Art 5 spoke Cayman style replica wheels / Rims on EBay?

They are a economical replacement but I am not intrested in wasting my money. They claim they are made to fit the Cayman. Any opinions appreciated.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to the swamp! :cheers:

Can you provide a link to the wheels in question? I bought a set of replicas for my winter tires, but they were from a reputable dealer (WheelEnhancement.com - a sponsor). I personally would be a little more wary buying replicas from an ebay vendor, without doing a little research into their background and reputation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you plan to DE the car at all stay with OEM or a true track rated rim ("OZ, BBS, etc.) I have seen a "replica" rim shear at the hub at a DE.

·
Registered
100 Posts
..........Ooouch!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have seen the Italian made wheels - replicas to be of high quality. Often the same factory that makes OEM makes the replicas. Chinese products have been inconsistent depending on the factory, there I would be more careful.

Tomasz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I will have to save until I get to BBS money. Or OEM just can't take the chance of a failure. Now to start watching the classifides.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
262 Posts
what the classifieds, but if you're not going to race/track this car, i think the ebay wheels are OK. i've got a set for my winter tires and it's been great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wow, those Forgestars are beautiful in the Karbon finish. Then I got to the price adder: "Karbon finish: $1000 per set". :eek:

There are lots of aftermarket wheel options out there, and enough people change out wheels that you can find a set of factory takeoffs pretty easily if you're patient. Watch the classifieds and wait for something you like to come up -- just picked up a second set for track tires myself.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I've purchased the Italian aftermarket wheels many times for various Porsche. They cheap, weight more than factory wheels and unless you have a very high HP car will hold up fine.
Even the factory (many made by BBS) ones which are cast alum. will break and bend easily so that no sure thing. But they are better than aftermarket and weight less.
If you want better than factory cast wheels the Forgestars look good, are forged and very reasonable price. I don't have any direct experience with them.
TireRack has I think they are TR Motorsports forged wheels which about $2500. I got them awhile back. If Forgestars were around then I would have gotten them and saved some money.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
^

Thanx. But forgestars doesn't have anything that strikes my fancy, neither does tirerack.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I've purchased the Italian aftermarket wheels many times for various Porsche. They cheap, weight more than factory wheels and unless you have a very high HP car will hold up fine.
Even the factory (many made by BBS) ones which are cast alum. will break and bend easily so that no sure thing. But they are better than aftermarket and weight less.
If you want better than factory cast wheels the Forgestars look good, are forged and very reasonable price. I don't have any direct experience with them.
TireRack has I think they are TR Motorsports forged wheels which about $2500. I got them awhile back. If Forgestars were around then I would have gotten them and saved some money.
Forgestar wheels are not forged. They are cast. Also they require wheel rings in the center. Make sure you get them with the wheels and make sure whoever puts on your tires and wheels inserts these rings in the centers of the wheels. They are critical for safety. Also, know that Forgestars are "one size fits all" sort of things. They require non-porshe lug bolts. I got a set and was not made aware that they required the use of rings and required other than OEM bolts. In fact, the trusted vendor posted that the stock bolts would work.

Another fact is that the vendor has offered no satisfaction for my having mounted track tires on their wheels, then unmounted them then remounted my track tires on my Boxster S take-off rims so I could get to the track this weekend.

The deceptively almost-fitting, non-fitting stock bolts and the lack of rings are "my problem" according to the trusted vendor. I should have somehow known about this. I was actually 10 miles out of town with the car packed for the track weekend and riding on my new wheels and track tires when I noticed that something didn't feel right and turned around. Had I continued I might have lost a wheel.

Just a head's up for those considering Forgestar wheels from the trusted vendor. They are not high on my list at the moment.

The quality of the wheels appears to be good, but they are not like buying OEM OR BBS and they are not forged. They are cast using a new casting process that promises to be stronger and lighter than normal cast wheels but not as strong and light as forged.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
WOW
That's what makes this site so valuable; sixisenuff took one for the planet. Thanks so much for that feedback and heads-up to all.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
WOW
That's what makes this site so valuable; sixisenuff took one for the planet. Thanks so much for that feedback and heads-up to all.
I think the wheels are a good value...strong and light, just go in with both eyes open because this vendor seems to be made of Teflon if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
565 Posts
sixisenuff, I'm really sorry to hear about the troubles you had. However, I don't think you'd be quite as upset if the timing wasn't right at your "deadline" to make it to the track. I see no reason for the vendor to have to reimburse you for YOUR timing and schedule. Had you not had a track day the next day, you more than likely would've kept the tires mounted and just waited for the parts that were likely with your shipment and lost. Bein' upset is understandable, because as you said before, you plan things carefully, and in this case, the plans kinda fell apart at the last minute. Remember, the timing, planning, and schedule were on you, not the vendor. I saw the vendor offered to ship the parts to you. You just were not satisfied with the offer, because it didn't conform to your schedule and the money you spent to adhere to your schedule. I believe the vendor acted as they should. Again, I can understand you bein' upset about the situation, however, to hold the vendor completely responsible and expect them reimburse you is not fair. Bashin' the vendor on the internet because things didn't fall into place for you and caused you stress because of your schedule is not fair either. Especially since the vendor offered to send you the parts to make things right. It seems that the timing of everythign was the biggest issue that has upset you, and you're takin' it out on the vendor, which can hurt their reputation. That's just my thoughts....

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
sixisenuff, I'm really sorry to hear about the troubles you had. However, I don't think you'd be quite as upset if the timing wasn't right at your "deadline" to make it to the track. I see no reason for the vendor to have to reimburse you for YOUR timing and schedule. Had you not had a track day the next day, you more than likely would've kept the tires mounted and just waited for the parts that were likely with your shipment and lost. Bein' upset is understandable, because as you said before, you plan things carefully, and in this case, the plans kinda fell apart at the last minute. Remember, the timing, planning, and schedule were on you, not the vendor. I saw the vendor offered to ship the parts to you. You just were not satisfied with the offer, because it didn't conform to your schedule and the money you spent to adhere to your schedule. I believe the vendor acted as they should. Again, I can understand you bein' upset about the situation, however, to hold the vendor completely responsible and expect them reimburse you is not fair. Bashin' the vendor on the internet because things didn't fall into place for you and caused you stress because of your schedule is not fair either. Especially since the vendor offered to send you the parts to make things right. It seems that the timing of everythign was the biggest issue that has upset you, and you're takin' it out on the vendor, which can hurt their reputation. That's just my thoughts....
Flea:

This is hardly vendor bashing. If I'd have posted the half dozen messages I deleted prior to sending, THAT would be vendor bashing!

Don't know why you are speaking for Championshop. Do you have any connection with them?

Here's my problem with this vendor: They posted a message that the stock lug bolts fit their wheels and they didn't include rings and caps with my order. I really grilled the tire dealer and when I was told that the box with the rings and caps in it came in a box labled "rings and caps", I knew I didn't get them because I did handle all the boxes myself and there was no box like that. That's is the extent of the issues I have with them.

I went back to their original posting and it looks like they fully disclosed that the wheels required special bolts and center rings from the beginning. I APOLOGIZE if I claimed that they didn't disclose the need for bolts and rings. (I'm assuming that this was not edited later and that the post at the beginning of the thread is unaltered.)

Please remember that the first place I went when I knew the wheels were wrong was the dealer, not Matt. I really made triple sure that the rings were not there before my first post.

I read and believed the post that said stock bolts worked. That post was from Championshop. Also read other posts, but believed Championshop because they are the vendor. If I'd gone back to the original post, I'd have questioned the later one claiming stock bolts worked.

Fair is fair. These are nice wheels and I've been consistent in saying that. The price is not much more than a set of used stock wheels bought through classifieds. These are lighter and probably stronger than stock wheels.

Matt should not have posted that the stock lug bolts work. This is more a communication glitch, I'd say, than an attempt to deceive. It caused me a bit of pain.

Matt, please send me my rings and caps. I'll pay for a set of proper bolts by paypal or CC. PM me or email. I think you have my info. I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused you as I'm sure you are for any trouble caused me.

I'll live with the scratches in my wheels as these will be track wheels. If they won't balance or something, I'll let you know, but I think they'll be OK.

Again, I APOLOGIZE for any malfeasance in the heat of the moment. Reading your original offer again changed my perspective completely. Someone just copied it asking you about what "custom" meant and quoted the offer...made a huge difference in my attitude.

The combination of the missing rings and the ill fitting stock bolts was really a lot to deal with last Thursday.

Weigh the low price of these wheels against the strength and weight relative to standard cast wheels when you ask for the moon. Certainly BBS forged wheels made for Porsche bolts and hubs would be a sweet setup, but they'll cost you triple what these wheels cost. Forgestar is saving mfg cost and still offering value to the customer with admittedly small fuss of buying a set of bolts and putting a plastic ring in each wheel. Good trade-off so long as you know up front what you're getting.

If I were doing it over, I'd get a different finish, maybe something dark. The standard pewter finish looks almost chrome and looks a little on the pimpy side next to Arctic Silver. Might play better in LA than here in Chicago. I had fantasies of using these on the street, but not after I saw them on the car. I'll just use them for track as I originally intended. When they get covered in brake dust, they'll look fine. I just won't clean them.

The M3 I saw them on was pearl effect grey with lots of other colors in it. They looked good on that car.

Changing my tune a little bit. (It can happen.) I'll post something nice on the GB thread too and will help with damage control.

·
Registered
565 Posts
sixisenuff, I appologize if I came across strong. It's hard to communicate effectively sometimes on the internet.

I believe the vendor changed the original post after they were made aware the factory bolts would not fit. I don't think it was there from beginning, though. Seems like the vendor was also led to believe the factory bolts would fit, as I doubt they would knowingly misinform all potential customers.

I am not affiliated in any way with the vedor. I've just been followin' the threads about the Forgestars because I keep hopin' to see some gunmetal and/or titanium F14's on an Arctic Silver Cayman. As soon as I make up my mind about the color and size, I plan to get a set on order (with the necessary bolts).

Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts