Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I used to spend a fair amount of time on Planet-9 when I was contemplating and then purchased my Cayman S but it has been a few years now since I have posted here. The car has been essentially flawless in the time that I've owned it, which is approaching 6 years. But, having put about 15,000 miles on the car and given that it's been 6 years, it is time to replace the OEM tires.

Those tires are Pirelli P-Zeros (265/35 ZR-20 on the rears). I have "zero" complaints (bad pun!) with the tire performance. In fact, I am surprised they've lasted this long. But, my one longstanding issue (right from Day One of ownership) is that they are noisy. In hindsight I should have gone for 19" and not 20" rims but I love the matte grey finish of the 20s on my Racing Yellow car. So, the new tires need to fit the existing rims. But the noise needs to be tamed!

What recommendations do people have regarding new tires that may be quieter than the Pirellis? I don't track the car, so a balance between performance, wear, and ride quality (especially noise) are the criteria.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2014 Boxster. Until this summer it had the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1s on 19" rims. I never cared much for the Goodyears, but really didn't know how much until I put on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Quieter, a bit stiffer sidewalls but definitely a superior tire. I don't track my car, but so far, the difference is quite noticeable after 4 months. I'm very happy with the Michelins.

·
Registered
107 Posts
on tire rack enter car info and look up by class like performance, all seasonal etc then once you down to top 2 to 3 tires click on the tire and see the details. they assign a number to each category. the one you want is called "noise and comfort" or something like that. Higher number (green color) is good. The rack does extensive tire testing so i normally piggy back on their research when purchasing tires for all my cars..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help. Checked Tire Rack and indeed the Michelin’s come up roses on all accounts, including ride quality. The P-Zeros, in comparison, rate quite poorly. I have the Pilot Sports on my 993 and I’ve ordered them for the Cayman so much appreciate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2015 Cayman S - Just ordered P 4S's all around to replace the OEM Eagle F1's (which performed admirably at 2 track days BTW). But they are toast at 27k now. The ratings on the new 4S are quite good and I have had either Michelins or BF Goodrich on my cars the past few years with excellent results.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I still have the original Pirelli PZ4 20" 235/265's they have much better performance in autocross than I expected but are super noisy and still are officially my street tires but only had them on for Parade as I ran S7 in autocross there.

Got Bridgestone RE-71R 255/35-18 & 285/30-18 for autocross Great for the that but noisy for street, quieter than PZ4's. Since used for 4 years probably 30 ax's needed to be replaced.

Dealer talked me into Michelin PS4S saying almost as good for ax but better on street. Can't really say yet as I've only driven home from dealer in heavy rain so couldn't tell noise factor. Did drive back to dealer yesterday am but had the top down and radio loud enough to hear so couldn't hear tires then either. They drove smoothly and did street performance fine. Picking the car up with new Alpine radio today so I'll try to pay attention to noise and handling if the traffic and conditions allow but forecast is 50% rain again today and tomorrow for Daytona autocross (hope not as I don't want to drive 2 1/4 hours there if raining, I will but won't like it).

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I put Conti Extreme Sports 2 1/2 years ago--11k miles--to replace P Zeros and have no complaint with them.
Quiet, excellent wet traction, very good dry traction very good wear--7/32 presently. Steering response is a little less than the PZeros but they are very good for street duty. Price delivered from TR was under $1k for the stock 19" sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
PS4S Nice street tire but just did autocross Saturday with them and grip not what I'm use to in either BS RE-71R or PZ4 Pirelli
It wasn't a course I'd ever seen before and didn't get to walk it.
Lost the rear twice even with 295/30's
I'll give them another autocross chance since I don't feel like changing back to stock PZ4's again and will be doing a lot of street driving anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a set of Michelin PS4S tires last December for my 2012 Cayman R. They are great on the street in wet and dry weather, seem to be very quiet. I've been on the track for four weekends so far this year, the Michelin PS4S tires are working well for me on the track too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What recommendations do people have regarding new tires that may be quieter than the Pirellis? I don't track the car, so a balance between performance, wear, and ride quality (especially noise) are the criteria.
I too have a '14 CS (purchased 8/2018) and put the PS4S tires on my car in June after frying Goodyears at a May DE event at WGI which were on the car when I bought it.

Can't say enough good things about the Michelins. Quiet on the freeway to track events, still have lots of tread even after eleven track days and one autox. Only issue is that the outside edge of both fronts is basically toast after the performance events. This, however, is the fault of the OEM alignment, not the tires. I plan to get a "performance" alignment for next season. My car is full stock and on the 20" OEM rims.

While I'm sure these tires aren't as sticky as RE-71Rs (300 tread wear vs. 200), they're no slouch either. At our last club autox I was off only 0.2 seconds for FTD from a fully street prepared Miata on RE-71Rs. I would have beaten the guy, but barely clipped one cone on a run that was a full 0.5 faster than his best time.

Great tires...

·
Registered
33 Posts
2015 Cayman S - Just ordered P 4S's all around to replace the OEM Eagle F1's (which performed admirably at 2 track days BTW). But they are toast at 27k now. The ratings on the new 4S are quite good and I have had either Michelins or BF Goodrich on my cars the past few years with excellent results.
Update - just had the Michelin PS 4's put on,,,, very nice, rubber feels a little harder which is not surprising since my old ones were beat up, but they look and feel great. Have not tested them at speed or high G yet, but I am pretty sure they will work perfectly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update - just had the Michelin PS 4's put on,,,, very nice, rubber feels a little harder which is not surprising since my old ones were beat up, but they look and feel great. Have not tested them at speed or high G yet, but I am pretty sure they will work perfectly.
One more comment - I got N0 spec from Costco of all places, out the door 1340.00......so I got them. Yes the Non-N spec is still cheaper at Costco but for this price,,, I figured why not

1 - 15 of 15 Posts