Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4S' on my Cayman this spring and have loved them for about 12,000 km. I recently took a road trip to PEI in Canada and hit a hard thing on the road which blew out the sidewall on the left rear. It took two days to get a new tire from Montreal but all is good now. My question is: Should I worry about the difference in the tire circumference between the old and new rear tires? A friend has suggested to me that this could be hard on the rear differential. I haven't a clue about this.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There is definitely an allowable tolerance in circumference from left to right rear tires but unfortunately I can’t seem to locate that spec now.

I’d definitely suspect that your existing rear tire with 12,000 KM vs your new tire is definitely out of spec.

IMO you have 2 options:

- replace the the older of the 2 tires with another new tire so the circumferences match.

- have the new tire “ shaved “ to match the older tire.

I’d reach out to [email protected] for expert advice, he usually posts on the “981 Tire and Wheel “forum.

https://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-and-wheels/175649-pilot-sport-4s.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, just got a reply from my PCA mechanic, and he said, "Drive on, Man!" I trust the guy. He's been involved in Motorsport for years

1 - 3 of 3 Posts