Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 Base Cayman. Fantastic car, very dated stereo. I consider built in navigation, Siri and music a safety feature - especially with a manual gearbox. This, along with winter tires are going to be my primary upgrades to the car.

I’m read this forum enough to get a sense to upgrading to PCM - sounds like a pain, but not impossible. Buy the stereo on eBay and get codes for it, take it to Porsche to install it. That sounds easy enough - but I’ve never read anyone describe upgrading the jack in the glove box to include USB.

The other option is CarPlay. There are very few posts here detailing CarPlay and a Bose system. From what I gather, it’s also a pain, mostly due to the BOSE amplifier. The signal from the head unit to is digital - meaning you can’t just replace the head unit and call it a day. I’ve got to either find a harness going for RCA to the BOSE, or add on the additional cost of an amplifier.

PCM will cost either $1600 or $4500, depending if you’re reusing one from eBay or a new one. You also have to debate the installation with Porsche. At the end of it, you don’t have CarPlay, just Bluetooth audio and Porsche’s dated Nav system.

A new CarPlay system, including rewiring XM and adding a backup camera is going to be between $2200 and $3500, depending on locating a Bose harness. The downside is it’s a very invasive installation in a car whose interior is near perfection. Also, you will lose the control of the central steering column.

Neither of these options sound great. Has anyone here done CarPlay and can answer more detailed questions?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I was hoping you really had a 918!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Ha! It was super late when I wrote this. ??*♀
Your subject caught me too but I figured you meant 981... I have the factory PCM with NAV and Bose, it all works but as you say it is a bit out of date with what you could have in an aftermarket head unit. I suppose that is the dilemma, integrations with the factory installed options or modern functionality, at east the newer Porsche PCM units have Carplay, for us Android followers no option is being offered by Porsche.

My daughter had a aftermarket unit installed into her GMC truck and it supports both Android and Apple, sounds great and provides full access to the phone and it's functions, to bad Porsche wouldn't just make a head unit that takes care of the car specific functions and radio tuner, but leav everything else to the attached phone.

Keep us posted!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.