Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a screw in my left rear this weekend. Can't be plugged because the puncture is right where the tread and sidewall meet.

These are PZeros with about 5k miles of tread wear.

Think I can get away with just replacing one tire here?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Possibly. I'd suggest measure the current tread depth and compare to new. most tires for these cars are about 10/32. If your good tire has say 8/32, should be ok to replace just the punctured tire.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibly. I'd suggest measure the current tread depth and compare to new. most tires for these cars are about 10/32. If your good tire has say 8/32, should be ok to replace just the punctured tire.
Thanks for the input.

What's the danger if the difference in circumference is "too great"? Won't the rear diff account for this? Or will the traction control and ABS be all jacked up?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I wouldn't expect a few /32nds difference in diameter to have an effect on ABS/PSM/TC. The bigger concern I would have is difference in grip mainly in wet conditions. Still PSM should help. I had a similar situation with a set of sport cup 2s. Had 2 track days and a few hundred road miles and picked up a screw. I replaced the punctured tire and had no problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't expect a few /32nds difference in diameter to have an effect on ABS/PSM/TC. The bigger concern I would have is difference in grip mainly in wet conditions. Still PSM should help. I had a similar situation with a set of sport cup 2s. Had 2 track days and a few hundred road miles and picked up a screw. I replaced the punctured tire and had no problems.
Thanks for the background.

My remaining tire is at 7/32s, and the PZeros come with 10/32. Decided to have TireRack shave the new one to 7/32. Was only $30 to have them do it, and will avoid the cost of another tire or having to worry about any issues. Going to have the local dealership mount and balance it. ($60) Realize that's a little more than average, but I don't want PepBoys marking up my wheel.

Thanks again.

Reactions: gfspencer and RickH

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
That's what I wanted to suggest : tire rack and shaving. Looks like you don't need this forum at all :)

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Thanks for the background.

My remaining tire is at 7/32s, and the PZeros come with 10/32. Decided to have TireRack shave the new one to 7/32. Was only $30 to have them do it, and will avoid the cost of another tire or having to worry about any issues. Going to have the local dealership mount and balance it. ($60) Realize that's a little more than average, but I don't want PepBoys marking up my wheel.

Thanks again.
I had that done many years ago. It worked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Picked up a screw in my left rear this weekend. Can't be plugged because the puncture is right where the tread and sidewall meet.

These are PZeros with about 5k miles of tread wear.

Think I can get away with just replacing one tire here?
In a matter of a couple of months I ended up with three screws in three different tires on my RS5 with PZeros. At the time had about 5k on the tires. Replaced a single tire each time. No issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.