Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I am planning to replace my accessory belt soon, wondering if there are other things I can replace as preventative maintenance while i am in there..

Thermostat, water pump was replaced at 128,000 (now 151,000)

Should I go ahead a replace all pulleys?

Replace tension-er or reuse it?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yes I would say pulleys would be the obvious choice. The tensioner for 987.1 is just spring-loaded, I would pull it off and look for corrosion or cracks in the spring. I would think the pulley bearings are pretty worn by now, so it might be smart to replace them all now if it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Replacing or pulling off the tensioner is easier said then done. At 60K I replaced the belt, pulley's, and tensioner. The screws holding the tensioner on are on the backside and you have to remove a lot of pieces from the top of the motor to get to them. Also, you need to remove the bolts for the P/S pump as well as A/C compressor and slide them over just enough to gain access. Make sure you have some long extensions as well as some swivel extensions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I would say pulleys would be the obvious choice. The tensioner for 987.1 is just spring-loaded, I would pull it off and look for corrosion or cracks in the spring. I would think the pulley bearings are pretty worn by now, so it might be smart to replace them all now if it's not too expensive.
Will do..

I think ECS sells a Belt + Pulley kit for under $400 that includes all parts. Pretty cheap insurance to avoid being stranded

Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.