Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, car wouldn't start today. Drove it 4 days ago with no issues. I haven't been driving it much this winter and I am pretty bad at keeping the battery maintained; I've had it for almost three years and every year I basically end up letting the battery drain too long, have to throw it on the charger and then it seems to work fine.

Anyways, battery is from 2014 so it's probably time to replace it. It is a standard lead-acid Interstate 94R/H7 battery (CCA 790 and 80 AH). I am considering switching to an AGM but being significantly more expensive, are there any real benefits to it vs the lead-acid type? Or should I just stick with it?

If I type in my make, model and year into the various battery suppliers (batteriesplus, walmart, interstate, etc) they come up with other size options including H8 and H9 all having higher cold-cranking amps (850-975) and higher amp hour ratings (85-90+). I can find 94R/H7 (with similar specs to my current battery) at all of these places but is there any reason to stick with the H7 or should I upgrade? I did see somewhere on here that the H8 was a bit bigger and required a new nut or bolt to secure the bigger battery but that's it.

Will I need to have the car re-coded at all for the replacement battery (AGM, or even lead-acid H7, H8, H9)? I have an iCarsoft POR 2.0, not sure if that can take care of potential battery issues or not. I read on here that someone was able to switch the part number (via POR) from the stock 70 AH to the part number for the 80 AH sized battery. If that was necessary, does that mean switching to a battery with a higher AH rating (or even CCA) will require extra coding/calibration? Or is it more or less just a straight plug and play? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The battery tray should have 3x threaded holes for DIN H5 through H7 sized batteries, and I believe there is a hole for H8 sized batteries, but you'd need mounting hardware (read: a nut) in order to secure it.

My car came with an H8 AGM and it worked fine up until I stopped driving the car and let it go dead. I replaced it with an H5 to save weight.

I don't think Porsche did battery registration until the start-stop system on 981s but I could be mistaken. If the POR scan tool can do it, great, otherwise it is probably not needed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
When I changed mine, Interstate used a device to keep 12 volts flowing to the car during the swap, no issues, car is a 2011. I am going to get another new one, Costco has Interstate (now unfortunately Exide) anyhow their price is excellent so I'm going to see if they use that same device. As for AGM, no venting needed should eliminate any possibility for corrosion related to lead acid venting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had to change the AGM type Banner brand battery in my old 981 Cayman S and was told the world would end if I did not fit a Porsche OEM version which carries a serial number. This is scanned during the Porsche replacement procedure and is used via PIWIS to register the battery with the car's power management systems.

Anyway I just installed an exact same Banner battery (capacity and cold cranking amp rating) and off I went. No flashing lights, no failures; the battery was still going strong after 3 years

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it's a 987 it doesn't need battery coding.

I don't think an H9 will fit. I fitted an H8, which requires adding a nut under the battery tray (there's a hole in the tray for H8 but it's not threaded, so you need to secure the bolt with a nut underneath the tray).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool. I have a 2010 base cayman. I’ve heard of people leaving their battery tenders connected. But I’ve also disconnected and reconnected with no issues so we’ll see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
deI have a 987.2 Just replaced battery and went with an H8 per battery company cross check with Porsche VIN. Not what I had but this fits and I feel it is the correct one. You will need to add bolt as mentioned. All I had to do was drive a bit to get rid of the PSM code. Head Nav stock unit ( bose) kept all the info -stations ect..

·
Registered
526 Posts
When I changed mine, Interstate used a device to keep 12 volts flowing to the car during the swap, no issues, car is a 2011. I am going to get another new one, Costco has Interstate (now unfortunately Exide) anyhow their price is excellent so I'm going to see if they use that same device. As for AGM, no venting needed should eliminate any possibility for corrosion related to lead acid venting.
ABSOLUTELY wrong on no-venting. There is a vent hole at each end of the battery, one will have a plastic plug in it. Plug the vent line into one of them. Put the plug into the other one. These are not "sealed" batteries - they are vented batteries where the electrolyte is in suspension in a glass-mat between the lead plates. It won't leak out (even if you drill a hole in the battery), but there is hydrogen produced on charging and a vent is an absolute necessity.

And @gubi is absolutely correct. Not only is no coding needed on a 987, it's not possible on a 987. Coding started with stop/start capabilities to optimize the battery state when used in stop/start. No stop/start = no coding needed or possible.

Reactions: schwinn

·
Registered
504 Posts
If it has a place for a hose I'd have hooked it up no matter what. The "no venting" was passed along to me by a C3 Corvette owner whose battery lives in the cabin so I'll pass that along, thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If it has a place for a hose I'd have hooked it up no matter what. The "no venting" was passed along to me by a C3 Corvette owner whose battery lives in the cabin so I'll pass that along, thanks.
Please DO pass it along to the Corvette owner. Someplace there is a newspaper article about a family that died (poisoned) in their Cayenne due to noxious gases from an AGM battery that was over-charging. Cayenne batteries sit right under the driver. The battery in this case hadn't been installed correctly - the vent tube wasn't connected.

Scary. Hook up the vent. Sometimes it takes a bit of looking to find the holes, especially if both have caps in them.

Found the story: Florida officials say driver and daughter inhaled poison gas and died
and Hydrogen sulfide inhalation killed mother, toddler found on Florida's Turnpike in June

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my 987.2 battery with this:
Duralast Gold Battery H6-DLG Group Size 48 730 CCA
I had AAA come out and their battery was too wide. It "could" fit with the bolt approach mentioned previously. Autozone's website, also, had the same battery as AAA. A gentleman at Autozone knew that the aforementioned battery was correct based on his experience with Mercedes. It fit exactly as the OEM with vent etc. I recommend this one.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
When my original battery died 9 years ago at 26K miles, the dealer replaced the H6 (under warranty) with the OEM H8 used in the 911. I watched the tech move the brace over to the next hole and bolt it in. The H8 fit like it was made for it (because it was). I've been using H8 ever since. l'm now using an H8 AGM from Advanced Auto with 900 CCA.

Reactions: ELCID86
1 - 14 of 14 Posts