Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my OEM battery is no longer holding a full charge. Even after a 45 minute drive, if I stop, turn off the car, turn it back on, the "Sockets Deactivated" message pops up immediately, indicating low battery charge.

Could get it swapped under warranty, but think I'd rather go the aftermarket route as I loved the Optima Yellowtop battery I had in my last car.

But Optima doesn't have a direct swap for the 981. Question is, what do I need specs wise? Space doesn't appear to be an issue as there is plenty of clearance in the front truck where the OEM battery i. The Porsche OEM battery is 70Ah 760A.

This Yellowtop is 66Ah and 830A: OPTIMA® Batteries 8037-127 D27F YELLOWTOP® Starting and Deep-Cycle Battery | OPTIMABATTERIES

This one is 75Ah and 900A: OPTIMA® Batteries 8051-160 D31A YELLOWTOP® Starting & Deep-Cycle Battery | OPTIMABATTERIES

Is it better to go with more Ah or will 66 cut it?

Other question is: how much does the OEM battery weigh? I don't want to add weight. These 2 Yellowtop batteries are 53 and 60 lbs., respectively. Is the OEM battery anywhere near that weight?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
474 Posts
One other consideration is programming after new batter install. This was something I was surprised was real, not fiction, with my M3 and from some of the threads here indicate that without updating the cars software to recognize the charging characteristics of the new battery it won't function optimally. Or Optimally in this instance!

To your OP I'm not sure I understand why you'd be considering the yellowtop. As I understand it the starting characteristics aren't really different than red, they just have a better ability to recover from greater drain without loss in performance. Unless you are running some mammoth A/V system at shows, or have a trolling motor and livewell on board, why this choice?

BTW - I'm a big Optima fan and have had great results with reds in cars, blues in boats! I'm torn with the much more recent reports of declining durability and performance since they relocated all their production facilities. That actually swayed my toward a Duralast for truck a couple years ago, and of course it died after 18 months. Who knows!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have wondered about my battery as Auto Start/Stop will only remain stopped for about 30-40 seconds max before the system restarts the car. When lights around my home are 1.5 minutes in length, it does not save gas restarting the engine so quickly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's my understanding that the 981s went to AGM batteries much like the Optima.
If so, the aftermarket battery would have the same construction as o/e. I'd have the dealership replace the battery under warranty.
The conventional o/e battery in my 987.2 was extremely heavy when changed a while back (didn't put it on a scale).

BTW, the car computer issue is real in the 987.2s (shop had to use PIWIS to clear numerous computer codes after replacing the battery).
I would assume that the same is true of the 981, thus requiring someone with the proper equipment to reset all after the battery change.

Please update when all is done.

THX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts