Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I got sick of being blinded by the aluminum trim piece in the center. I had the dealer order the $317 leather replacement one. Took all of 2 minutes to swap out. The trim piece pops out super easy.
https://youtu.be/Mh3cf4H7eNs
Thank you for this! Although I've yet to be blinded by the aluminum trim, I've always liked the look of the leather trim, as well as the carbon fiber. Given I've got the leather package interior which is black with stitched leather Bordeaux Red trim (seating surfaces, center and door armrests, instrument hood), I might consider a unique look using Bordeaux Red leather for the console trim. But $1200 for the cupholder cover trim plus whatever for the rest of the dash trim is on the excessive side. And I imagine carbon fiber is way more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I got sick of being blinded by the aluminum trim piece in the center. I had the dealer order the $317 leather replacement one. Took all of 2 minutes to swap out. The trim piece pops out super easy.
Did you previously have the brushed aluminum trim, or the standard shiny metal trim?

I ordered my 911 with brushed aluminum specifically to avoid glare, so I hope you're using the term "aluminum" loosely...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Did you previously have the brushed aluminum trim, or the standard shiny metal trim?

I ordered my 911 with brushed aluminum specifically to avoid glare, so I hope you're using the term "aluminum" loosely...
There's no glare from the optional brushed aluminum trim. No specular appearance at all. It's pricy but very classy. You won't regret it.

The standard trim is just silvered plastic.

Edit: always assuming they haven't changed anything in the last 4 years since I got it in my 981, of course. Maybe the standard trim got better and/or the optional trim got worse. Steve's hand is reflected clearly at 2:30, which could never happen with the brushed trim in my car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, i had the aluminium looking plastic bits. SUCH an improvement..... Now I am noticing the glare from the cup holder trim even more lol. $1200 bucks hurts though. But I'm sure i will bite that bullet eventually.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There's no glare from the optional brushed aluminum trim. No specular appearance at all. It's pricy but very classy. You won't regret it.

The standard trim is just silvered plastic.

Edit: always assuming they haven't changed anything in the last 4 years since I got it in my 981, of course. Maybe the standard trim got better and/or the optional trim got worse. Steve's hand is reflected clearly at 2:30, which could never happen with the brushed trim in my car.
Very good to hear. I spent a bunch of time going back and forth on whether or not to upgrade the trim. I'm pretty sensitive to glare, so it sounds like I'll be glad I got the brushed aluminum.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Very good to hear. I spent a bunch of time going back and forth on whether or not to upgrade the trim. I'm pretty sensitive to glare, so it sounds like I'll be glad I got the brushed aluminum.
It is stupidly expensive, but you'll thank yourself every time you go to the dealer and see the standard trim in other cars on the lot. A lot like full leather in that regard, although not quite that expensive.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I didn't have the pleasure of this experience until today, holy cow when the sun hits it just right it could be dangerous. And road noise at interstate speeds is rather enthusiastic.

On the plus side on a longer trip I did get nearly 30 mpg. And the seats are sooo good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually, i was thinking about getting the cup holder part Wrapped. It will probably look good just as good and be about $1000 dollars cheaper lol.
You should try Plasti Dip. Then post your experience, good or bad. ?

I actually like the look of the standard shiny silver trim, but really don't like anything shiny in my car when driving. I even truck the passenger seat belt latch behind the seat to keep it out of sight.

I have a tiny fiberglass brush for repairing the brushed finish on watch bands. I gave a little thought to trying to "brush" the standard trim myself. But pretty sure that would look awful.

·
Registered
607 Posts
At the prices Porsche wants for those trim pieces, and the ease of fitting, I'd be thinking about a can of good spray paint.
Almost any alternative will be more economical than the Porsche prices. Maybe a wrap could be done too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got a quote from a local place in Denver area. $100 bucks to wrap all of the trim pieces (minus the center which I already bought for $317). I am going to see what materials they have and either do a carbon fiber or leather(ish) type wrap. I will let you all know how it comes out

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just got a quote from a local place in Denver area. $100 bucks to wrap all of the trim pieces (minus the center which I already bought for $317). I am going to see what materials they have and either do a carbon fiber or leather(ish) type wrap. I will let you all know how it comes out
Now this will interest me. That sounds like a good deal.

I googled painting trim and wrapping trim, and it looks to me like wrapping is simpler, and, given that I'm reasonably handy it's a possibility I could do it myself.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.