Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but I haven't found anything detailing what I am trying to determine. I have a fixed side mirror (no heating or auto dimming). I would like to replace it with a mirror that will automatically turn down when I put the car into reverse. So I was thinking all I would have to do is replace the mirror post with a motorized one - potentially have to replace the whole mirror - anyone tried this before? And my more important question is the wiring in place for this reverse turn down function or do I have to add that as well? It seems Porsche avoids putting in wiring harnesses for options that are not present. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You're confusing reverse tlit-down with power folding. ANY power mirror can do reverse tilt-down, but I think Porsche requires the memory function (ask a dealer to make sure). I have memory and tilt-down, but no power folding. I have it disabled, since I rarely use it, but when I need it, just tap one of the mirror buttons and it activates just once, so perfect for my needs. Othewise, mirrors would go down every single time you put car in reverse.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is only the passenger side that tilts in reverse, at least on mine it's only 1 that moves. I hadn't notice tap once to activate, going to try that tonight. thanks @ELP_JC

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
On my car both tilt down, just like on all other cars, prior and current... but maybe it's which button you tap while in reverse? Check that too. As a side comment, on all my other cars, the mirrors don't tilt down when selector is in the middle, so no need to have a menu option for that. But since Porsches don't have such selector, it's an option. And got the tapping tip from the owner's manual, so it's not like a 'secret' feature;).

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It is only the passenger side that tilts in reverse, at least on mine it's only 1 that moves. I hadn't notice tap once to activate, going to try that tonight. thanks @ELP_JC
You must have the memory option, and you must set this up if you want one or both to come down just like you set the memory for your seats. The option for it to be automatically done when in reverse or manually by tapping the button is also a choice you must set up.

To set it up, place the car in reverse and then manually adjust whichever mirror you want to tilt down (or both if you like) into the position you want in order to properly see the curb, then store this position using the memory button on the door panel.

Then, there is a "settings" menu option using the control stalk that allows you to choose if this will happen automatically when reversing. I can't recall the exact menu list name since I'm not near my car, but it's a simple checkbox once you find it.

If you leave it unchecked you will get no tilt when reversing unless you tap the button for the mirror to tilt down. I like ELP prefer for this to be manual function as I don't always want this to happen.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I wonder if this would work for those without the memory package. KP Technologies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.