Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered replacement adhesive plastic stone guards from Pelican - these are the clear plastic bits that mount just ahead of the rear wheels. The original stone guards on my car are a bit yellowed, and one has a black streak across it that I cannot get out, and so felt it was time for a refresh. Any advice on how to get the old ones off? I was thining maybe a hairdryer, and applying "Goof Off" or similar product around the edges to get the adhesive loosened up, but I would appreciate any advice from others who have done this before. TIA.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I pulled stone guards off a 951 and it was not easy. You can use a heat gun but you have to be very, very careful about burning the paint. There's also eraser wheels but those can damage the paint also if you leave it in one spot too long. I'd also be very cautious with Goof-Off or Goo-Be-Gone. Those have compounds that can remove paint.

The safest method is probably a heat gun on low setting and plastic scraper. Take it slow and small bits at a time. I used lighter fluid to clean up the residue. Prepare to spend four hours and have back pain medication ready for that evening.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
I would definitely use a heat gun and have a low chair that will allow you to sit through the process.

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts
I've done this a couple times on mine - apply a little heat and peel them off. They don't really leave any residue and they come off easy. Don't use goof-off - it's too harsh and will damage black plastics. Use 3M adhesive remover if needed. To install new ones, wet all surfaces with mix of 50-50 water and rubbing alcohol plus a drop or two of baby shampoo (in the mix). Be sure to wet the exposed surface before squeegee'ing to avoid scratching the new piece. Also, cleanliness is important as any stray specs of dirt will create bumps or bubbles. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I too have done this on mine, and will do again this summer. Hair dryer is all the heat you need... old ones peal off very easy, just try to pull off 90 degrees from the surface of the car, that will keep any adhesive left behind to a minimum. My only problems were a little bit around the very edges which were easy to clean up after the peice was off.

To install new one... clean the area well with rubbing alchohol on a towel. Then spray with a mixture of water and baby shampoo as mentioned by prior poster. Also spray the sticky side of the new part before you put it on. This will allow it to slide around into place. Then you wet the outside of the new part to make the surface slick. This will allow you to use a small hard card or squeegee to remove the water from between the surface of the car and the adhesive. Keep the surface very wet so the squeegee moves without scratching the new film. Once all the water is out, it will dry and stick in place.

Very easy to DIY, takes about 30 minutes start to finish. If you have your car outside on a sunny day, you can even skip the hair dryer... the sun is enough. You will want to sit on the ground so your work surface is in front of you and easy to access. Plenty of videos on youtube about clear film installs on front bumpers etc. that you can watch to get an idea of what we are talking about with the spraying and use of the squeegee!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the good advice. I would have never though about adding baby shampoo to the water/alcohol mix.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thank you all for the good advice. I would have never though about adding baby shampoo to the water/alcohol mix.
just a few drops for a whole spray bottle... you do not want sudz, just enough to make it slippery!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again all - I replaced the stone guards today and with your advice it really was quite easy. The old ones came off readily using a hair dryer, and the water/alcohol/soap mix made it easy to correctly position the new ones. Used an old credit card as a squeegee. Worked like a champ, and the new stone guards really improve the looks of the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Thanks again all - I replaced the stone guards today and with your advice it really was quite easy. The old ones came off readily using a hair dryer, and the water/alcohol/soap mix made it easy to correctly position the new ones. Used an old credit card as a squeegee. Worked like a champ, and the new stone guards really improve the looks of the car.
Great!!!! Glad it worked for you!!!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Happy to hear! The only caution I would give if others attempt the same is to wrap the old credit card in a paper towel or something to make a little softer edge. Do not want to scratch new new stone guard surface.

Any before and after pics of your handy work?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
A bit late for the OP, but in any case, I would recommend having some 3M adhesive remover on hand, as it easily melts away anything left sticking to the car from pealing off the guard.

On the other hand, I started to put new ones on, and just gave up. You either end up with plastic pieces that get pitted and discolored, not to mentiion having the work around them when you polish or wax, or you have some additional pitting in the paint (which I already have plenty of on the front bumper and hood). In the end, I think it does / will look better without the plastic, and with a few more pits in the paint that add "patina"..................

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure what you mean by pitting of the plastic or paint. I simply cleaned up after removing the old stone guards using a paint cleanser so that there was no dirt, grease, or old adhesive left behind.

And sorry - I don't have before and after pics.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Not sure what you mean by pitting of the plastic or paint. I simply cleaned up after removing the old stone guards using a paint cleanser so that there was no dirt, grease, or old adhesive left behind.

And sorry - I don't have before and after pics.
Stone guards get to be a mess just like the paint............... yes, you can replace them, but given all the other boogers / chips you get all over the rest of the car, I think it just looks better leaving them off and having a few more chips in the paint.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,728 Posts
A bit late for the OP, but in any case, I would recommend having some 3M adhesive remover on hand, as it easily melts away anything left sticking to the car from pealing off the guard.

On the other hand, I started to put new ones on, and just gave up. You either end up with plastic pieces that get pitted and discolored, not to mentiion having the work around them when you polish or wax, or you have some additional pitting in the paint (which I already have plenty of on the front bumper and hood). In the end, I think it does / will look better without the plastic, and with a few more pits in the paint that add "patina"..................
I think that's a great idea, I'm going to give it a try. :cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
When i had the clear bra applied to my full hood and front bumper they also rplaced the factory stone guards with clear bra material. They covered a larger area and the clear bra is not visible. I would recommend using this material rather than the factory material.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts