Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I have a battery question that is a bit off topic but i think you guys can answer it... I'm planning to store my '15 CGTS over the winter and my storage area does not have electrical power. Can i remove the battery and keep it on a maintainer in my basement for several months? I think the battery will be fine; i'm wondering about the car...

Thanks
My concern would be for all of the various setting like steering stops, window positions etc, etc... With no power for 'months' I would believe all of these and possibly others may be lost. These cars have so many settings controlled and maintained by computer modules, I would suggest that you confirm this with the Porsche dealer service team.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have a battery question that is a bit off topic but i think you guys can answer it... I'm planning to store my '15 CGTS over the winter and my storage area does not have electrical power. Can i remove the battery and keep it on a maintainer in my basement for several months? I think the battery will be fine; i'm wondering about the car...

Thanks
I was in the same situation with my 16 CGTS two years ago. I just picked the warmest day every 3-4 weeks and went and started it up. I think it is good to not let the car sit too long without being started. I also rolled it back and forth in its storage space, rowed through the gears, checked the car over, wiped it down and also checked my mouse traps.

Car and battery are fine.

It’s great if you can keep your battery on a tender, but it will be fine for 3-4 weeks even if it gets down to -20c on many days. I was fully prepared to boost it, but never had to.

You can yank the battery out of the car too, but I would only do that if I was actually going to be away for a few months in that situation and couldn’t be there to check on it and start it up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am also worried about losing the settings if the car sits for weeks/months without a battery. I heard that starting the car and not being able to fully warm it up is more harmful than just letting it sit. I don't want to drive it because i usually drop the insurance way down during storage.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. I am also worried about losing the settings if the car sits for weeks/months without a battery. I heard that starting the car and not being able to fully warm it up is more harmful than just letting it sit. I don't want to drive it because i usually drop the insurance way down during storage.
So no way of getting an extension cord or something into the storage area? Not even a light socket near by?

·
Registered
935 Posts
You will hear people say that starting your car but not letting it warm up is harmful to it. There are two dangers and both have to do with moisture. When your car starts moisture starts to build up in your exhaust right away and if you don’t get your exhaust up to temp than that moisture condenses and corrodes your exhaust. How true this is now with a modern SS exhaust is a good question but the physics are true.

The second is moisture build up in your oil. When your oil warms up any moisture that has accumulated in it is boiled off. Obviously in order to maintain the integrity and viscosity of your oil you don’t want it to contain too much water.

I have started my car as I described to you previously, and I have also had every oil change (including its moisture content) analyzed by a lab. I can tell you categorically that running your car 20 minutes every three weeks does it no harm, no matter what the Internet armchair mechanics tell you.

Letting it sit for a lengthy period of time, however, is dangerous. When you pay to have your exotic or classic car professionally stored part of the service is starting your car regularly. Regular lubrication of parts are necessary or they dry out and are subject to increased friction before the fluids can reach them again when the vehicle is started.

Cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So no way of getting an extension cord or something into the storage area? Not even a light socket near by?
I am considering storing it one of those storage unit facilities and they purposefully do not have power. They told me that customers abuse that in all kinds of ways. Over the summer i will look for a storage place that has power.

canux, thanks for the great write-up. Those are encouraging words and i may just do as you describe.

I also considered two other options... Have a second battery and exchange it once every 3 weeks or so, recharging the "other" battery at home. Or using a second battery to power an inverter that would power the maintainer in the storage unit. Both seem rather cumbersome and probably not really necessary.

Obviously, the best option is to have power in my storage place and that search goes on!

Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Cayman sits in an non-a/c’d AZ garage for 3.5 months+, in temps around 90 to 100 24x7. Put Stabil in the gas tank and small trickle charger (Harbor Freight $6.00). Never any issues, no flat spots on tires etc. This will be 5th year I’ve done this leaving for the boat next weeek.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought on a 981 there was some magic mumbo-jumbo that required PIWIS. Hence the exorbitant price that dealers charge. This is different than the 987, whose battery could be replaced easily without the use of Voodoo chicken bones.
The only difference between the 987 and 981 charger leads Cheve Cruze battery current sensor.jpg is a sensor similar to pic attached to the negatve clamp of the starter battery. If you disconnect this sensor you will loose stop/start (which for many is good) and also loose smart charging which tends to leave the battery under charged at around 75-80%, the EMU uses this sensor mainly to check the SOC of the battery for stop/start and regeneration, anything else stated by manufacturer regarding this sensor is of even less benefit to the owner than the two systems already mentioned.

Once disconnected the 981 alternator will start charging the battery similar to the 987 at around 13.8 to 14.4 volts continuously, this is absolutely fine for any lead acid battery no matter what type of construction. With the sensor disconnected there are NO warning lights on dash other than (stop/start deactivated) see vid.
As there is now no stop/start or regeneration there is no need to use an AGM battery, any sealed lead acid battery will suffice. With sensor disconnected the EMU does not now know what type of battery is in the car therefor coding of the battery is no longer needed.

EFB or AGM batteies are only needed for the thousands of extra starts from stop start technology, standard lead acid cannot cope, they also cannot cope with the high voltage supplied by the alternator for any available regeneration.
Regeneration is the reason the battery is never fully charged under engine power, the EMU ensures the smart system cannot cram a high voltage into a fully charged battery.

If you were happy with the 987 charging regime and the life of that cars battery and you don`t like stop start just disconnect this sensor, unsure, plug it back in. The UK Merc has been running for over a year with sensor disconnected, Dec 2011 car with original battery.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the original battery today on my '14 Cayman. It was starting to get cranky (e.g. the seat would sometimes not move forward when the key was inserted, etc.) so it was time to replace it. I followed the steps in this thread (along with using my CTEK charger) and it was quick and easy with no issues.

I also got my new battery at Batteries Plus and, after a 20% off December promotion and a $10 rebate, the total cost was $175. Not bad at all! Big thanks to everyone for the steps & info!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Replaced the original battery today on my '14 Cayman. It was starting to get cranky (e.g. the seat would sometimes not move forward when the key was inserted, etc.) so it was time to replace it. I followed the steps in this thread (along with using my CTEK charger) and it was quick and easy with no issues.

I also got my new battery at Batteries Plus and, after a 20% off December promotion and a $10 rebate, the total cost was $175. Not bad at all! Big thanks to everyone for the steps & info!
Can you provide more details on the steps you took to replace your battery? Thanks.

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
73 Posts
I replaced the battery in my '07 'CS' today. Twice, over the past month, the battery had been drawn down to the point where it wouldn't start the car, and this morning, I couldn't even get the door(s) to unlock. Not sure exactly what caused the drain - and I did check the charging system last week, which was fine :unsure: Yep, time for a new battery

Luckily, there was just enough juice left to get the rear hatch unlocked, so I crawled into through back far enough to reach the driver's door handle. Next, I watched a video on Youtube that outlined how to access the front trunk (when the battery wouldn't open it) by clamping an adequate (+) 12v source to a red pull-out tab in the fuse box. I have one of those little portable battery banks that I used for that purpose, grounded the (-) clamp to a bolt on the door hinge. After about five minutes, I could operate the trunk solenoid.

Once I had access to the trunk, I connected an Odyssey PC925 to the battery terminals with jumper cables and disconnected the terminals from the old battery ... then installed the new battery, reconnected the terminals (including application of some terminal grease) then disconnected the jumper cables.

The battery I purchased was a Duralast 94R-H7-AGM from the local Autozone for $222. including tax.

I started the car and a warning indicator (a green triangle and the letters 'PSM') illuminated in the dash cluster. I shifted into first gear, drove forward about ten feet and the warning indicator extinguished. Shifted into reverse, rolled back to it's parking spot and shut it off. My wife and I will take it out for a short drive tonight. We put 225 miles on it over the past two nights, taking drives up & down Highway 1 along the coast ;)

121 - 131 of 131 Posts