Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the CDR 31 in my 981 S and quite frankly it is appalling.
I've seen the Alpine iLX 700 unit that looks great and also has CarPlay. Has anybody fitted this unit or knows what the best alternative?
Thanks Guys
:)

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info re harness etc.
I'd ideally like a multimedia unit that has CarPlay installed, something like the Alpine iLX-700 but it's shape is totally different to the CDR 31! :-(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've now found double din conversion to allow me to install the Alpine unit :)
I'm off to Wigan this morning to K&M Acoustcs, if they can't do it then nobody can.
I remember going there in the 90's with my BMW for an Alpine unit. Time flys just like my 981 S :)
Cheers guys

·
Read Only
106 Posts
I've now found double din conversion to allow me to install the Alpine unit :)
I'm off to Wigan this morning to K&M Acoustcs, if they can't do it then nobody can.
I remember going there in the 90's with my BMW for an Alpine unit. Time flys just like my 981 S :)
Cheers guys
Please post pics after as I might do the same on mine. Cdr 31 drives me insane!! Also, could you ask how they would handle the existing park assist? Would we lose the screen?

Thanks mate
Uz

·
Registered
782 Posts
CarPlay is not very good as it only displays a few Apps at a standard screen resolution.
CarPlay will NOT' mirror' your iDevice.
I have CarPlay in my 2017 C4S and rarely use it.
Rather a T-Design iPhone Holder.
The iPhone display in my case, a '6' is smaller than a CarPlay display but at least it does display everything.
Better to get a T-Design holder for an iPad Mini.-Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Park assist works with the unit and hopefully Maps should do therefore giving us the display of the route in the right hand side screen in the dash :)
Also the iLX 700 has now been replaced wth the iLX -702. It is a massive improvement over the old one with DAB included to name but a few options.

Please post pics after as I might do the same on mine. Cdr 31 drives me insane!! Also, could you ask how they would handle the existing park assist? Would we lose the screen?

Thanks mate
Uz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Park assist works with the unit and hopefully Maps should do therefore giving us the display of the route in the right hand side screen in the dash :)
Also the iLX 700 has now been replaced wth the iLX -702. It is a massive improvement over the old one with DAB included to name but a few options.
Park Assist works with your Alpine? Really? I wonder how.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Park assist works with the unit
I'd be really, really interested as well in how park assist works with this aftermarket replacement. Do you actually still get the visual "sensor view" (seen here), or do you only have the audible beeps?

I always suspected that the sensor view might just be a video signal fed into the PCM, so it might not be impossible to keep it with an aftermarket unit, but the MOST HUR manufacturers claim that you lose that visual: https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT835/most-hur31.html

Speaking of which, did you use that MOST HUR for your Alpine, or how did you do it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't yet installed the unit but my installer said that the reversing aid should work.
What does interest me is that will the 'Maps' directions appear on the right cluster of the dash when required like it does when the car has OEM Sat Nav.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Unless you have factory NAV nothing will display in the instrument cluster, there's no wiring for it and no way to make it work.
This is one of the reasons I still went with the factory PCM with NAV on the last car, integration to the cluster display is nice to have.

The other thing about (I could be wrong), is that the actual apps that are mirrored from the phone to the large screen is limited, correct me if I am wrong but Car Play and Android Auto don't fully screen mirror in such a way that you can access every app that is on your phone on the cars display?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This is one of the reasons I still went with the factory PCM with NAV on the last car, integration to the cluster display is nice to have.

The other thing about (I could be wrong), is that the actual apps that are mirrored from the phone to the large screen is limited, correct me if I am wrong but Car Play and Android Auto don't fully screen mirror in such a way that you can access every app that is on your phone on the cars display?
That is correct. Only certain CarPlay-enabled and approved apps will show up in the vehicle’s display. CarPlay is not really a “mirroring” technology.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Even getting WAZE and Pandora would be a huge improvement over the base CDR31. I have Bluetooth and can get/make calls, but It won't stream audio. What good is that?

I don't understand why Porsche doesn't get involved directly with supporting aftermarket add on's for their cars? Why should the 2nd owner of a vehicle be penalized for the poor choices of the original owner? I should be able to upgrade the vehicle through Porsche once ownership changes. Don't you think that would be an additional income stream for them?

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Even getting WAZE and Pandora would be a huge improvement over the base CDR31. I have Bluetooth and can get/make calls, but It won't stream audio. What good is that?

I don't understand why Porsche doesn't get involved directly with supporting aftermarket add on's for their cars? Why should the 2nd owner of a vehicle be penalized for the poor choices of the original owner? I should be able to upgrade the vehicle through Porsche once ownership changes. Don't you think that would be an additional income stream for them?
You can easily add BT music to 981, in seconds, for 20 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC6LYCM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also get an extrashort AUX cable, you only need like 2 inches or so.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I haven't yet installed the unit but my installer said that the reversing aid should work.
What does interest me is that will the 'Maps' directions appear on the right cluster of the dash when required like it does when the car has OEM Sat Nav.
Cheers :)
Did you ever have this install done? What were the results?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never did get around to it. One thing I wanted was Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone X. I achieved this by purchasing a Griffin iTrip. Perfect. I’ll save my pennies and get it in my new car. ☺

·
Porschiste
1,445 Posts

Soon to be released iOS 12 will expand the 3rd party apps that CarPlay supports - these will include Waze and Google Maps.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17416932/apple-carplay-third-party-maps-wwdc-2018

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.