Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a replacement mirror from Suncoast for my CGTS, its bigger than the standard one which has always bothered me b/c of the way it tapers-seems kind of wimpy. Anyway, I started removing the existing one today and got the plastic two piece cover off, twisted the mirror to release the mounting tabs, and pulled the one electrical connector off( I have the manual mirror, not self-dimming). There is a red nylon cord running up into the panel above the mirror which is all keeping the mirror from coming off. The new mirror also has a red cord with a knot in the end attached to it, and I wondered what it was for. I'm guessing this is to prevent the mirror from crashing down onto the console if the thing gets twisted somehow and the tabs release accidentally. Has anyone done this? I now will have to remove that overhead panel/shroud (a seam runs down the middle, I suppose it just pops off if something is inserted into the seam at the proper places) but I'm fearful of damaging it. The new mirror came with new replacement plastic shrouds surrounding the mirror itself, but this other panel mounts up against the headliner. Thanks for any help.

I'll contact Suncoast but they warned that dealer installation might be needed. That doesn't usually scare me and I'm sure I can get this fixed, but before I plunge ahead I just wanted to find out if anyone else is familiar with the install.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
When I was replacing mirror with the one with built-in display - I just cut that cord. World didn't end :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I did to get the old one off. I'm taking it off the new one, not necessary I think. Real sophisticated method for Porsche to provide a fail-safe device, huh?

It reminds me of the piece of plywood(unpainted) that covered the ECU in my 944. Lift up the carpet in the passenger footwell, there's the plywood. Unscrew the screws and pull it off to get to the computer. 1/2" if I recall.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the cord from the new mirror and installed it. The biggest problem I had was plugging the tiny wire connector back in, the female part was too loose and after crimping it down it was difficult to connect since there was so little room. Once I got it plugged in the rest was simple. I'm pleased.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Mitch48,

Could not get that number to work on the Suncoast site.
What is the narrative description of that mirror?
How much wider is it than the current 981S mirror?Any photos?

B

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the number on the box. I know Suncoast doesn't give out part numbers, but I would think it would come up. Under interior parts it is under accessories, "updated interior mirrot" or some such. If you can't find it I'll try to give you the link.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I suspect - one can just use any gentex mirror he likes. The mounts will be different, but the ball size will be the same, so just pop the old one out pop the new one in. Electrical connection will have to be winged then.

·
Registered
792 Posts
When I was replacing mirror with the one with built-in display - I just cut that cord. World didn't end :)
Given recent events, you might re-think that.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts