Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post here so thanks in advance. I'm returning home after a long overseas assignment and looking to purchase a Boxster S as I've never forgiven myself for selling my 986.

I've found one that's exactly what I'm looking for but it has a rebuilt title due to a "minor rear driver quarter accident". According to the seller, the car runs perfectly except that the Sports and Sports Plus modes won't activate due to a faulty speed sensor in the transmission.

Obviously I'll do a full PPI, but is it possible that the root of the problem is really just the sensor? Also, has anyone had any experience replacing theirs? It's a PDK if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not an expert, but that sound's like a bunch of BS to me. I suspect the 'minor accident' is something a bit more significant. A faulty speed sensor in the transmission would allow it to drive in limp mode at best I suspect. If it is the speed sensor, the transmission needs to be removed and pulled apart to rectify. If you took the car to Porsche with this problem their response would be to replace the transmission. The only sensor that can be replaced on the transmission without it's removal is the gear oil temp sensor at the rear.

The only way to find out is to get a diagnostic readout from the car to find out exactly what is going on. Don't use a generic OBD tool. Use something that is specifically for a Porsche.

You sound like you are doing your research carefully. On the surface of it I would tread very carefully with this car. For someone to sell a car that has been 'fixed' but still has transmission problems (if that is the problem) would make me very cautious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts