Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When selling a modified 987s what kind if any value would you expect to get back? Im selling a 2005 S with fabspeed headers, bola exhaust, light weight flywheel, short shifter, intake manifold, tunning and custom wheels. Quite a bit of extra $$,$$$. Should i price the vehicle at base plus 50% of what the mods cost or less?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Honestly... they often don't add anything at all and sometimes even remove from the value. Many people want cars as intended from the factory, so you need to find a buyer that values what you've done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
^^ what he said.

Wheels are one thing... easily changeable even for someone without experience working on cars. Its pretty easy to tack an extra $1000+ on for custom wheels.

But when you dive into tuning and engine components.... you really need to find the right buyer. Also buyers get worried if YOU did the work yourself. Doesn't matter if you are some kind of certified Porsche mechanic... not having the work done at a shop starts to make them think twice about buying the car. Even with shop receipts, I'd say the best you can get back from upgrades is ~25%.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Your picture cannot be a 2005 CS because none were made that year. As to mods, they are a black hole. As the others have said, they are worthless on a Porsche. Several reasons come to mind

1. Most people who like modifications, do so as a hobby. They want to do it themselves, not what you chose to do.

2. There is the question of abuse. Second hand buyers might be leery of people who try to gain a few more HP, to what end?

3. The more valuable cars, particularly as they get older, are worth more money purely OEM.

The standard answer to this question is to remove the modifications, return the car to stock, and sell the parts separately as used parts.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
+1 on chows4us comment.

I recently "sold" my '07 base that had just a few suspension mods-- just coil-overs and sway bars which cost me about 5 large to buy, install and tune... never saw any of it in return and even encountered headwind with the sale.
D

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with most of the people here, unless you find a buyer who would've done exactly what you chose to do the car is worth less with the mods installed in that it will shrink your pool of interested buyers.

As suggested by others I'd consider removing the parts and replacing them with the oem ones if you still have them. The other option is to not offer up any details about the mods unless asked.

When I bought my 2010 CS it had an expensive Tubi exhaust on it. I thought it had an awful drone and more or less ruined normal low speed driving in the car (it sounded good at WOT). I removed the exhaust, cleaned it and sold it and was able to buy mods I wanted (near new stock exhaust, GT3 MC, Steel Braided Brake Lines, 997 SSK).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Don't expect to get anything back. Obviously depends on the mods too, as something like a plenum or ECU flash are out of sight. Coilovers and exhausts would be a bigger deal as those are generally personal. Body kit is another big one.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
My .02 cents is that non-OEM mods are a big negative at resale time, while adding Porsche gear (such as short-shifter, Sport Chrono without the wart, PSE, upgraded OEM seats and any tastefully done interior trim) won't hurt resale. Like new options, though, don't expect a return on the "investment" in OEM parts...with VERY rare exceptions, such as GT2 Sport Buckets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Truthfully, I'd just remove it, and sell them yourself.

Put the car back to stock, or as stock as you can, get some money back from the mods, and voila. Best of both worlds!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
When selling a modified 987s what kind if any value would you expect to get back? Im selling a 2005 S with fabspeed headers, bola exhaust, light weight flywheel, short shifter, intake manifold, tunning and custom wheels. Quite a bit of extra $$,$$$. Should i price the vehicle at base plus 50% of what the mods cost or less?

Thanks,
Is that Basalt Black? Where in Texas?

·
Registered
285 Posts
If your patient and willing to wait for the right buyer to come along you may get a few grand over book value. The best value in the mods is they may help you get high book faster. If someone is considering two cars in a similar price range they may choose the car with mods if they like the mods but to get more for the mods you have to find a buyer that wants those exact mods and knows how much they cost and how much they are saving by buying your car, that's a hard sell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went through this a few months back, with my previous car. I had tons of mods, around 20k worth. From past experience, I realized that mods actually reduced the value of the car. You will not get your money back, leaving them on the car. The exception seems to be the wheels. Most seem perfectly content with aftermarket wheels.

I posted all my mods for sale, and I got just over 75% of my money back from the original price. They sold very, very quickly (everything sold in less than 3days). Once my car was back to stock, it sold the second day at a price higher than KBB value.

Do as others have recommended. Sell off your parts. Put your car back to stock. Good luck!

(Beautiful car, by the way!!)

·
Registered
408 Posts
The best way to calculate the value of mods added to a car is the following:

Take the cost of all mods that you installed, retail.
Add up that total, and multiply by $0.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
304 Posts
Disclaimer - I bought a heavily modified car so I may be biased, or not biased against mods.

That car is a knockout! Those wheels set it apart from other cars you will be competing w/. And let's face it, it is an early car w/ probably a good no. of miles on it and won't sell for high dollar, so it may not appeal to the Porsche purist who wants one as from the showroom floor. I.e if it was a 987.2 w/ 15,000 miles on it, mods would be much more significant. The exterior mods will IMO appeal to almost anyone and the perf. mods are among the first people do, even if not meant for the track. The only one that may truly hurt is the LWFW if it has any chatter at all. The average 987 no longer turns heads; this one will.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a few mods and I've been kicking around the idea of selling. I don't expect the mods to add any value, I just hope that when the buyer sees and drives the car he/she enjoys them and it makes the asking price more appealing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One suggestion would be to spread the word about your car on forums that have a high percentage of people who do DEs or Autocross. That's how I found out about the CS I purchased a few years ago - a fellow member of the local Audi Car Club mentioned on a forum that many club members follow that he was thinking about selling it, that the car had Billstein PSS9's, a Remus exhaust, and a harness bar, and I jumped at it. It also helped that I knew the seller and had confidence in the quality of work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts