Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really no way to reset service intervals without either going to a Porsche dealer or buying a $300 tool?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Find an indie with a tool. I have one three blocks away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Short answer is no, but you may be able to find a scanner that works for under $300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short answer is no, but you may be able to find a scanner that works for under $300.
Thanks, Zuch.

It boggles the imagination that virtually every other motor vehicle made in the past 15 years has a procedure for the owner to do this. And, with just button pushing, not tools. I bet the only other ones that don't let the owner do it are other krautburners. I wouldn't pay even $30 for a tool. I'll just continue to let the warning turn itself off shortly after start.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I prefer the Autel MD802. It works on just about every make and model I've ever heard of, and a lot I haven't. It does a lot more than the documentation indicates. In addition to reading vendor-specific codes, and resetting the service indicators, it can capture a lot of realtime sensor data from dozens of onboard sensors across each of the dozen-or-so computers in the car.

·
Premium Member
34,243 Posts
The Cresetter II's were going for $100 at one point. The iCarsoft POR V2 is also less than $300 and will reset the service intervals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last month I purchased a Foxwell NT530 Scanner. My particular model was set up for two different makes of car, Porsche and BMW, because I had some required service work on both my 987.1 Boxster and my e90. Getting the software installed and set up was a bit convoluted, but not too terrible. Foxwell customer service responded to a question I had within 2-3 days about downloading the additional software. On the Porsche, I used it to reset my service light after an oil change and to adjust my steering wheel settings after swapping in a 987.2 wheel. On the BMW I used it to reset my battery indicator after swapping in a new battery. Using it on both cars was self-explanatory, and there YouTube videos out there about using similar Foxwell products (NT520 and 510). The NT530 also has some other functions I may use in the future. So for roughly $200 it has already paid for itself. While it's definitely still annoying that it's even necessary in the first place, I'm not too agitated about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I prefer the Autel MD802. It works on just about every make and model I've ever heard of, and a lot I haven't. It does a lot more than the documentation indicates. In addition to reading vendor-specific codes, and resetting the service indicators, it can capture a lot of realtime sensor data from dozens of onboard sensors across each of the dozen-or-so computers in the car.
Do you have a link one could look at? Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Google Autel MD802 and you'll find several links at various price points.

They now have a lower-priced version on called the DiagLink for <$100. From my understanding, the functions are identical, but it provides only a single vehicle vs. the unlimited in the MD802. Additional vehicle types are $10. Pretty good deal given I paid about $200 for mine.

The product info/manuals are here:

The manuals are pretty sparse because the diagnostic functions vary significantly from model-to-model. They would need an 800-page volume. For the 981, you can view/monitor just about every sensor available. It's pretty darn impressive. I really wonder where they got all that information. Those vendor-specific CAN-bus codes are hard to obtain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cannot confirm with fist hand experience, but I have seen others post that the service reminder on a 987 (and other models... but not sure about 981) can be cleared using the "Launch X431 CReader VI OBD2 Scanner." It sells for about $45 US, on Amazon.com.
=> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXM9MJX/

Does anyone here have first hand experience with one of these devices?

-Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts