Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Reset service light?

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BlueNorther 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am seriously looking at 2011 cayman, and will be doing my own servicing on the vehicle. Unlike BMW's I can't reset the service light from the instrument stock, and need it plugged into a device. Is this available and reasonable to purchase? How much if I take it to a shop will they usually charge to reset the light?

Thanks

Ken

#2 ·
1. Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric. You have to purchase this cable. It works on up to 3 VINs. I've seen them on ebay between $100 - $300

2. I recall some dealers doing this work for about $80. Some wont even do it because they want to do the oil change.

3. Another option is that you find someone close by who has one of these cables and go over and get them to do it while you share a beer. Check our your local PCA chapter, or query P-9ers or rennlisters in your area.

Reactions: Lime-Gold
#4 ·
I use the Cresetter tool that Rob linked to above. It works fine for resetting the oil service light. I think I paid like $65 or so.

#6 ·
So the Durametric Enthusiast costs basically $100/VIN, if you buy/sell on Ebay. I just bought one with 2 VINs left for $200 and will sell it for around $100 when I get rid of my Cayman. If you work on your car at all, I would think all the added features of Durametric well worth the added cost.

#9 ·
I am looking at the cheaper product, as I have been an Apple user since 1987. I could use my son's laptop from school if need be, but like the idea of just plugging in a device, and reseting codes there.

The reason I went Apple in 1987, is it was much simpler than DOS machines.

Cheers,

Ken

#10 ·
My lazy guy solution: I just flick the stalk after starting the car, oil change reminder goes away until next time I start car. Doesn't bother me. Done two oil changes on my own. I hope to not need a mechanic until my 40000 mile service, nearest P dealer 3-4 hours drive each way.

Reactions: Mudnut
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.