Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys... As trivial as it sounds, the 5-speed shift pattern on my 2006 Boxster base shift knob has faded and I would like to restore it. The car is in very good condition inside and out. One of the only signs of age/wear is the faded shift pattern on the shifter but I'm having difficulty with the concept of coughing up $500+ for a new OEM leather shift knob. Really? Has anyone just replaced the top of the shift knob and if so where did you get the replacement top of the knob with the fresh shift pattern? I like the OEM leather shift knob and would like to restore it. Does anyone know anyone who has done this themselves or possibly a speciality shop that does this?

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just looked at mine on my '08 base Cayman 5-speed and not sure how you would go about restoring it. Fortunately mine is in good shape. Check out Pelican Parts or Suncoast. They both have pretty good prices depending on what you want. Search eBay for "Porsche Cayman 5 speed shift knob" and a type comes up for $13.40 that you may be able to pull out the center and use - maybe. Replace "Cayman" with "Boxster" in the eBay search and a few used OEM come up with the boot for reasonable prices. Otherwise call around to a car recycling place to see if they have any Boxster or Caymans with a 5-speed shift knob they would sell you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ottobon100... I found some dome 5-speed shift pattern decals I ordered to see if this can be placed on the knob and possibly then cover with a few coats of clear coat to ensure it lasts. They cost $10. Small investment to see if it works. I did check Pelican, Suncoast as well as a variety of salvage yards for a replacement OEM shift knob and didn't;t see anything for less than $200 which seemed like an extravagant amount to pay for such a small cosmetic improvement but I may go that route if the decal doesn't work. I'll get them next week and report back if it works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131567569427

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Ottobon100... I found some dome 5-speed shift pattern decals I ordered to see if this can be placed on the knob and possibly then cover with a few coats of clear coat to ensure it lasts. They cost $10. Small investment to see if it works. I did check Pelican, Suncoast as well as a variety of salvage yards for a replacement OEM shift knob and didn't;t see anything for less than $200 which seemed like an extravagant amount to pay for such a small cosmetic improvement but I may go that route if the decal doesn't work. I'll get them next week and report back if it works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131567569427
I know it's 4+ years since you posted this but, ..., did you come up with a solution? I have a 2006 Boxster with exactly the same problem and it's really overkill to replace everything when all I need is the shift pattern.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts