Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people here know the story of Diverdog... Basically he outran his engine and due to oiling issues it now needs a new heart.

Last fall at our open house I made sure that Bruce had the opportunity to ride in BMWalsh's old car and now he is hooked.

So here we have Bruce's Car...

Blown engine in need of life support.

New Engine from porsche... Note that we are using a 3.4L motor, not a 3.6 or 3.8L... Let it be known that we love the 3.4L motor. Yes a bigger motor would be another option but we LOVE THE 3.4L motor.

The list of modifications to bruce's car are quite extensive. I will let him fill you in with his plans.

A few more pictures!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Nice to see diverdog's ride on the mend. He is the Nor'Easter track animal.

We both had our first event together at Pocono 2 years ago. Talk about taking opposite "tracks" since then! :hilarious:

Can't wait to see him back on the track/road.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Casey, I'm curious. When an engine gets replaced at a dealer, I'm told that it's always a "rebuilt" one (not that it matters with a dealer warranty).

Does this hold true when a 3rd party shop gets an engine too?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Casey, I'm curious. When an engine gets replaced at a dealer, I'm told that it's always a "rebuilt" one (not that it matters with a dealer warranty).

Does this hold true when a 3rd party shop gets an engine too?
I honestly dont know. It could be a remanned engine.. looks so perfect I figured it was new!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
New Engine from porsche... Note that we are using a 3.4L motor, not a 3.6 or 3.8L... Let it be known that we love the 3.4L motor. Yes a bigger motor would be another option but we LOVE THE 3.4L motor.

QUOTE]

I wanted a 3.8L but Mike talked me into staying with the 3.4L. Anyway, I can only bring so many pairs of underwear to the track! LOL

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Ken, I'm going to write up the failure story. Short version is the car was equipped with a deep sump & AOS. #6 rod went.

This engine will have the TTP oilsafe kit, deep sump, stock AOS and the turbo oil return

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
May I ask Casey:
1) Did you send the old engine to Porsche?
2) How much did the new engine cost?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am pretty sure this was a Core exchange... IIRC, the msrp on a 3.4L motor is ~12,500-13,500 + core exchange.

I didnt price this one though, so not 100% sure.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
Mine cost me 1788 Euro with shipping, customs & bank fees. Not cheap but much cheaper than a new engine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Casey, can you do me a big favor: the engine uses timing chain, and I was wondering if you can use your digital camera's macro mode (close up) and shoot some pics of the chain? I market roller chains for a living and like to see what brand/type of chain goes into a Porsche (if it's not too late).

Thanks!!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
I hope it's too late, I want that puppy in the car! I haven't driven it since November 10th.

I'm hoping that Casey too some pix of the Oilsafe kit on the engine.

How about a progress report?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Whoa, what's all them red and blue tubes around the engine??? ;) I guess diverdog is over his GT3 hunting and set his sights on the Cup cars! :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Unfortunately not. I was there last year with a group. This year we're taking a group up to Lime Rock for the PCA Club Race.

Will you guys be at Lime Rock over Memorial Day weekend to support the BGB Cayman team?

:) are you going to the swap meet?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts