Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing a set of Cayman R springs (only) on an '07 Cayman S and would like to hear from persons whom have performed the same work, and what their experience was.

Ride quality, extra parts needed, best source for parts, ect

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Yes the dampers/struts are tuned to the springs, so they are different. It's best to use the factory setup. However some people will and do a mix and match with factory and aftermarket springs and seem to like the ride and handling.

Cman21

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
FWIW, I recently installed CR springs in my '06 CS with PASM. They work wonderfully and I'm quite pleased. No other parts were needed. They replaced H&R springs which are TUV approved for PASM and standard suspensions, but were too low and stiff for my usage.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
FWIW, I recently installed CR springs in my '06 CS with PASM. They work wonderfully and I'm quite pleased. No other parts were needed. They replaced H&R springs which are TUV approved for PASM and standard suspensions, but were too low and stiff for my usage.
STLPCA,

Thanks for the reply. This was the info I was looking for.......

I have a 2007 CS without PASM.

How does the ride of the CR springs compare to the stock CS springs?
Do I need any other parts besides the CR springs?
Best source to buy the Cyaman R springs?
Have you noticed adverse tire wear?

This will be my daily driver. I would like a little bit of a drop, but don't want it too firm (downtown Austin streets suck!)

Thanks!

CS with BS wheels.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Sorry for the delay responding.
I'm not sure how much my PASM experience will be transferable to your standard suspension CS. My present CS has PASM, TPC's DSC control module, and TPC's DSC 3 axis accelerometer, to which I added R springs making it far from an apples to apples comparison. It previously had H&Rs which I found objectionably low and stiff for my DD urban use. My prior CS also had PASM, but not the TPC mods.
The Rs are about 11%F & 7.5%R stiffer than yours, but are softer than the stock PASM springs. So although my "normal" ride has become more comfortable (but better managed by DSC) with the Rs, I would expect yours to become a bit stiffer and likely better planted. Of course, I've got 2 firmer shock maps I can select.
The R ride height (lower than PASM) is (IMO) perfect: low enough to eliminate fender gap for aesthetics, but high enough to prevent most scraping for me. The ride passes my wife's comfort test and handles my area's post winter, pot-holed streets surprisingly well. In sum, so far I'm thrilled with the package, but I won't have it on the track for another couple of weeks.
The install required no parts in addition to the springs, but an alignment is necessary and the job is labor intensive.
I bought the springs from another P-9er, but they are available from any of the discounting P dealers, e.g., Suncoast, Sunset, etc. (Part #s F: 987.343.531.40 / R: 987.333.531.96).
I can't imagine there will be any change in tire wear as a result of the R springs. The lowering will theoretically allow marginally more camber, but not enough to notice.
I hope some of this is helpful for you (or others).
:cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm not sure how much my PASM experience will be transferable to your standard suspension CS. My present CS has PASM, TPC's DSC control module, and TPC's DSC 3 axis accelerometer, to which I added R springs making it far from an apples to apples comparison. It previously had H&Rs which I found objectionably low and stiff for my DD urban use. My prior CS also had PASM, but not the TPC mods.
The Rs are about 11%F & 7.5%R stiffer than yours, but are softer than the stock PASM springs. So although my "normal" ride has become more comfortable (but better managed by DSC) with the Rs, I would expect yours to become a bit stiffer and likely better planted. Of course, I've got 2 firmer shock maps I can select.
The R ride height (lower than PASM) is (IMO) perfect: low enough to eliminate fender gap for aesthetics, but high enough to prevent most scraping for me. The ride passes my wife's comfort test and handles my area's post winter, pot-holed streets surprisingly well. In sum, so far I'm thrilled with the package, but I won't have it on the track for another couple of weeks.
The install required no parts in addition to the springs, but an alignment is necessary and the job is labor intensive.
I bought the springs from another P-9er, but they are available from any of the discounting P dealers, e.g., Suncoast, Sunset, etc. (Part #s F: 987.343.531.40 / R: 987.333.531.96).
I can't imagine there will be any change in tire wear as a result of the R springs. The lowering will theoretically allow marginally more camber, but not enough to notice.
I hope some of this is helpful for you (or others).
:cheers:
Thanks for the information. From what is sound's like these springs should be perfect.
Not going for the super track focused set up. I have downsized and just want to end up with a "planted" daily driver and weekend light track work.

I will order the parts tomorrow. I found out that to use the CR springs it requires me to purchase rear spring mounts as I do not have PASM.

Just installed a nice set of Boxster Spyder wheels with new rubber!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts