Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would welcome input for those who have gone down this path on a base suspension 981, what was the process like (how long at the dealer) and how much did it cost altogether?

and of course the $64000 dollar question, was it worth it (for a road car, assuming you don't track it)?

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Go drive one with it first. That'll tell you whether or not you can live with it, whether or not its worth it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Go drive one with it first. That'll tell you whether or not you can live with it, whether or not its worth it.
+1; there is no way to know for sure unless you find a car with the suspension and drive it on your typical route.
If you have ideas about tracking the car, I would recommend it. If not, the I'm not sure you be able to get full value from your upgrade because the base suspension is very good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i recently purchased a 2013 Base Boxster CPO with 10 K miles on the ODO. I had already been lurking here and knew i wanted the X73 suspension on my Boxster. i ordered the X73 package from Suncoast the first week i owned my car. i put approx 400 miles on the base suspension by the time i was able to get my car to the shop for the install. it's a terrific "bang for the buck" upgrade! i do not track this car even though i have tracked several other cars that i have owned. the ride is firmer but not harsh and it corners flatter. i have decent roads where i live ( Orlando, FL) so i can not speak for those that live in places with frost heaves and giant pot holes.

i really like the drop that the suspension gave the car. 3/4" drop front and 5/8" drop rear. perfect drop for my taste.

dealership quoted me $ 1600 installed plus $ 230 alignment. private German Porsche shop quoted $ 1000 installed plus alignment (they recommend dealership for alignment) i ended up letting a local shop do the install because they have done other suspension installs for me, $ 750.
I used the dealership for the alignment for $ 230. Dealer was even open to doing whatever type of alignment i wanted.

i have self installed suspension on some of my previous cars, so i was considering a self install. the things that made me change my mind about the self install were: you have to loosen the front subframe and lower it some to get the front sway bar out. you have to take the rear axles off at the tranny to get the rear lower control arms low enough to get the rear shock into the receiver. doing those two things on my back, while on a concrete floor with the car on jack stands.... no thanks! Photos below are 1 before and 2 after shots.

IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0134.JPG

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks RadioZero.

2 questions for you if you don't mind.

Dealer had no issues with another shop doing the install? warranty affected?

What size wheels are you sporting?

Thanks - drop looks good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks RadioZero.

2 questions for you if you don't mind.

Dealer had no issues with another shop doing the install? warranty affected?

What size wheels are you sporting?

Thanks - drop looks good.
dealer had no issues with another shop doing the work. These are OEM Porsche parts, so there shouldn't be any warranty issues.

The wheels are OEM base model 18"s. I am keeping my eye out for larger wheel tire combo. Car needs 20"s in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts