Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Autocar UK. The only reason it makes sens is that both Audi and Porsche are in the VW family and they wouldn't want one brand to denigrate the other if they were both in endurance racing.

I'll have to put my Kimi/ Lotus gear away if Porsche returns to the big stage. Unless, Kimi's car has one of their engines - Nirvana!
Porsche's shock F1 return plans | Autocar

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
From Autocar UK. The only reason it makes sens is that both Audi and Porsche are in the VW family and they wouldn't want one brand to denigrate the other if they were both in endurance racing.

I'll have to put my Kimi/ Lotus gear away if Porsche returns to the big stage. Unless, Kimi's car has one of their engines - Nirvana!
Porsche's shock F1 return plans | Autocar
I would love to see Porsche in F1, the way it's planned, for now anyway, it's the use of different fuel categories, Piech wants Audi to stay with and develop diesel, while Porsche is to use gasoline and develop that technology. Which is ironic since the new 991 GT3 RSR doesn't get DFI which handicaps it against the 458, given the fierce competition in LMP it's most likely going to be on the LMP.

Porsche really doesn't have a budget to field prototypes and F1 cars, and realistically road racing has been their forte since the beginning. Ferrari did it the other way, they stuck with F1, it's only recently when they went back to road racing as a factory effort. An interesting point, the LMP program will be operated out of Weissach, it will be a "real" factory effort, unlike the GT effort which is managed by Manthey, even though the factory puts its name on it. Audi does the same with the e trons, they're factory through Team Joest.

Ironically, Team Joest till 1998 had been associated with Porsche, fielding many P cars to victories.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
2014 will be a banner year for racing, new rules accross the board, new engines, new aero packs, fuel management. It will be different, much different, than what we're seeing today.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
2014 will be a banner year for racing, new rules accross the board, new engines, new aero packs, fuel management. It will be different, much different, than what we're seeing today.
I hope that you are right. I'm tired of watching these "races" where it's all about pit strategy. It would be refreshing to see leads change on the track.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I hope that you are right. I'm tired of watching these "races" where it's all about pit strategy. It would be refreshing to see leads change on the track.
+1 I'm a little sick of "Vettelmania" it gets old, just like Schumacher's reign while at Ferrari.
I'm glad teams like Lotus and Force India have moved closer to the top, it use to be a three dog show before, RB, Mc and Ferrari.......at least for now things are headed in the right direction. The tire issue? $64K question.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I was fortunate enough to see F1 racing in the golden years in the 60s, at least they were to me. Competitive F1 cars would actually pass each other on the track back then. They were absolutely beautiful cars without huge wheels and hideous spoilers. My fondest memories were watching Jim Clark win some F1 races where he didn't have the best car. It was also great to see him go to Indy in 1965 and win the 500. He also won the F1 championship the same year.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I was fortunate enough to see F1 racing in the golden years in the 60s, at least they were to me. Competitive F1 cars would actually pass each other on the track back then. They were absolutely beautiful cars without huge wheels and hideous spoilers. My fondest memories were watching Jim Clark win some F1 races where he didn't have the best car. It was also great to see him go to Indy in 1965 and win the 500. He also won the F1 championship the same year.
You're one lucky man! I was too young, I did witness Porsche's golden age of road racing, 70s-80s, IMSA, GTPs and GTOs..............I agree the old F1 cars were works of art, ditto for the road racing prototypes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts