Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, "tuning".

I was just rewatching the Nick Murray BASE 981 review, it has sport chrono and he has the Sport Plus button that he shows activates rev matching!

I have a Cobb tune on my base model.

If Sport Chrono is roughly a tune... can't then an aftermarket tune provide rev matching?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would love this as well. I'm not sure if there are additional CPU's when you have Sport Chrono that allows it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agreed! I just think it's neat and probably useful on the occasions my wife drives - who certainly has no interest in learning to rev-match haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is highly likely the rev matching code is in there, just disabled and hidden. On the other hand, for the price Porsche charges for Sport Chrono, they could easily manage two software images for the ecu.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
The video only shows the least important Rev matching scenario. Heal toeing is when I need Rev Matching the most and I find that very difficult to do unless you drive the car like it is on a race track--braking real hard at the last minute before a turn. I kind of wish I got Sport Chrono just for the Rev Matching.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I checked in to this several years back and my dealer initially said, yep, we can do that for you. A half day later, they called and said, well, we found that it requires a call to Stuttgart with the VIN etc for a code of some sort to allow the PIWIS to enable it. Seems if your car didn't have it from birth, they will not give that code. Suncoast sells this for several models on the Parts site so I asked Ric. He said he is not aware if it ever being available for the 981.

I just gave up. Rev matching on a daily basis is why I wanted this option and I agree with MidLifeCrisis, trying to do it the old school way during regular driving is pretty hard IMO. I'm obviously no expert on heel and toe and perhaps I need to get educated and learn it from a pro.

EDIT: Just for the sake of saying, my 2008 VW R32 has it from birth, but, Porsche likes to charge for the German air in the tires from the factory so no surprise it's not standard. If it was, how could they get that extra $2500 for the stop watch and a plastic button?

Reactions: Samulis
1 - 7 of 7 Posts