Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First time really looking at a rev report. Would you guys mind telling me what I'm looking at on this car? It has 40k miles? Is this a good report? Bad?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Great news. That's gotta be pretty rare right?
It's a good report, but most Porsches will have a similar report. If someone drives aggressively to red line and the rev limiter engages, there will be some ignitions in range 1. So nothing unusual. The small number of ignitions indicate that the rev limiter was rarely engaged. The 14 range 2 ignitions in the report are almost certainly a computer glitch, and the ignitions in ranges 3 to 5 are definitely a computer glitch. The dangerous overrevs occur in ranges 3 - 5 because of inadvertent gear selection when downshifting.

This report indicates that the engine was not abused.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Also, the alleged revs in ranges 3-5 occurred at hour 0.6, so very early in the car's life. I'd guess the range 2 revs at hour 1473 are probably real, but not cause for concern. Car is now at 1493 hrs. Bought my Cayman with 40k miles and had nothing above a handful in range 1 that occurred around 700 hours, so presumably the prior owner missed no downshifts.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Also, the alleged revs in ranges 3-5 occurred at hour 0.6, so very early in the car's life. I'd guess the range 2 revs at hour 1473 are probably real, but not cause for concern. Car is now at 1493 hrs. Bought my Cayman with 40k miles and had nothing above a handful in range 1 that occurred around 700 hours, so presumably the prior owner missed no downshifts.
It's very unlikely to have only 14 ignitions in range 2. I suppose that a spillover from range 1 is possible, but more than likely it is a computer glitch. Range 2 will occur in the 7800 RPM range which is 130 revs / sec or about 195 ignitions per sec. So 14 ignitions would take less than a tenth of a second. The ignitions mount up quickly which is why I'm skeptical when the number is low.

Rev ranges 987/2 + 997/2:

Rev range 1: 7,500 ... to 7,700
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage unlikely.

Rev range 2: 7,700 ... to 7,900
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 3: 7,900 ... to 8,100
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 4: 8,100 ... to 8,400
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded; engine damage probable.

Rev range 5: 8,400 ... to 8,900
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed very clearly exceeded; engine damage very probable.

Rev range 6: over 8,900
⇒ Engine damage has generally occurred..

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's very unlikely to have only 14 ignitions in range 2. I suppose that a spillover from range 1 is possible, but more than likely it is a computer glitch. Range 2 will occur in the 7800 RPM range which is 130 revs / sec or about 195 ignitions per sec. So 14 ignitions would take less than a tenth of a second. The ignitions mount up quickly which is why I'm skeptical when the number is low...
My guess is there was some spillover from R1 to R2 at 1473 hours. R1 over-revs at 1487 hours did not spill over. Just guessing since there is not a full log of what occurred when, just hours at last occurrence. In any case, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 2014 CS says it has 23,000 miles on it, but I guess it's really a 60,000 mile car: 104 Stage 4s! At the track yesterday I was passed only by a race-prepped Viper, a Ferrari 466, a GT3 and two Turbos, so if I'm ruining my engine at least I'm beating the rest of the field, but I guess that the ego-stroking comes at a cost.

Is there any way of decrypting/erasing a rev report?

·
Registered
514 Posts
My 2014 CS says it has 23,000 miles on it, but I guess it's really a 60,000 mile car: 104 Stage 4s! At the track yesterday I was passed only by a race-prepped Viper, a Ferrari 466, a GT3 and two Turbos, so if I'm ruining my engine at least I'm beating the rest of the field, but I guess that the ego-stroking comes at a cost.

Is there any way of decrypting/erasing a rev report?
If you read some of the articles on the Durametric site they mention checking the total miles and hours and see if makes sense. I think they say average speed should be something like 40 mph. From that I deduce there may be some way of screwing around with some of the values. Also, a couple times someone has posted an over rev report that seems somewhat wacky, like over-rev hours greater than total hours, or something like that. It left me with the feeling someone had attempted to clear the entries, but was only partially successful.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went to look at that car in the rev report today and man it's beautiful. I think I'm going to end up with it. The build is right and it's super clean. Let me know the your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Really nice options, those are my favorite wheels, if the price seems right you will not find much better, try to figure out the age of the battery, and tire life that is remaining, drive it and have fun.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
If you go by Autotrader pricing that is a bit high, I would tell this dealer I am also looking at other 2006-2008 CS cars and see what the lowest price I could get, I think 30K is on the High Side for this car only if it is one owner, the dealer did not pay more than 22K for this car. Link below of car that is not as nice, tell dealer the price is so good that you are going to take the day off of work to drive to go see it.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...earchRadius=0&makeCode1=POR&modelCode1=CAYMAN

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Does 34 sound about right for a super clean car like this one?
No, way too high.

If you go by Autotrader pricing that is a bit high, I would tell this dealer I am also looking at other 2006-2008 CS cars and see what the lowest price I could get, I think 30K is on the High Side for this car only if it is one owner, the dealer did not pay more than 22K for this car. Link below of car that is not as nice, tell dealer the price is so good that you are going to take the day off of work to drive to go see it.
Totally agree. They may not even have 22 in it. This one is nice, but not super low mi and it's a 2006. I just helped a friend sell his 2006 CS Launch Vehicle w/ 65K mi for $19.1. Worked my a$$ of getting that much for it. It was nice but needed some maintenance done to it, so it wasn't perfect but it was a clean, no accident car. Dealers can always ask a ridiculous price but that doesn't mean you have to pay it. Their price is on the high side for a 2008, let alone a 2006. If this car is in the Ohio area, sports car season is winding down and they should be willing to deal. If not, let them sit for a period of time (at least a week). See if they don't contact you (after telling them you're looking at other CSs and you're planning to buy one). You should be able to work them down to mid-$20s.
EDIT: oops, see you're in Cali. Got confused with your handle. Scratch the last part about Ohio.

On the other hand, I've never minded paying a bit more for something that is exactly what I want. Be it a special color or a set of options that are hard to find, the price paid will be long forgotten if it gives you the pleasure you desire. I've never regretted paying for what I want.

Just don't pay $34K.

Reactions: bucknutt76
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.