Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a few weeks of driving my 981 CS, loved everything about her, but knew I'd want to get a little more power mid-range from a tune...question is, which one? The options were dizzying as we all know. I also wasn't interested in headers as CA emissions are too strict.

Luckily I ran into @ICNU in my search, and he pointed me in the direction of Fabspeed + Cobb AP. It was great working with Fabspeed, the best customer service, very responsive, and did an awesome job with my tune. This process couldn't be simpler 1) install Cobb AP 2) datalog some runs 3) send files to tuning team 4) get tune, load Map, enjoy!
**note, drive 20ish miles hitting rev ranges in gears for the map to take full effect.

My car is stock, just a raw 981 CS / 6MT (vs. many reviews that are modded). A couple comparisons for reference:

Stock Map -> Cobb OTS Stage 1 Map
*This to me was obvious already, delivered more mid-range power, but still had some flat spots in the 2-4k rpm range, just less pronounced. Car felt livelier across revs. Sound wise, there was an added growl up top.

Cobb OTS Stage 1 Map -> Fabspeed Protune 91 OCT Stage 1 Map
*Good improvement with a snappier throttle, and all gears 2 - 4k rpms were more urgent going into the 5k+ revs. Smoother power delivery and my rev matches seemed easier to execute.

*1st - 3rd gears to redline are manic, esp. those last 6 - 7k revs. I generally feel like even in 3rd from 70mph, I can just tap the throttle and she'll surge forward unlike before.

*2nd gear - I can tap the throttle in lower revs now, and it's not as lazy as a transition from 2k - 4k revs.

Stock Map -> Fabspeed Protune 91 OCT Stage 1 Map
*Very evident increases, it's crazy how de-tuned the car is from factory. I recently did a back-to-back comparison for a smog check. The response is felt across all gears / RPMs. For example, 2nd gear @ 2.5k rpm - 4k rpm is a bog to flat spot, the ratio between throttle applied and tach response is off. With the tune, that waiting is gone, you snap the throttle, the car will surge / move with more urgency through redline.

*Sound wise, it gets even more growly across revs, and swear it seems the intake / induction sound is more pronounced just revving the engine. Vs. Stock Map, it convinces me I don't need another modded exhaust for a little while more.

For those wondering if it's worth doing on a stock car, I would say absolutely go for it - for $250 + any applicable discount on protune, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Did you have to wait between flashes or drive X miles for the car to "learn" or adapt to the new software each time? Or just load-n-go?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Did you have to wait between flashes or drive X miles for the car to "learn" or adapt to the new software each time? Or just load-n-go?
Good point, will add above, should do around 20-ish miles of hitting all rev ranges across gears for the map to take full effect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am interested to getting a Fabspeed Protune eventually and wondering if you did the 3rd gear redline run log with the Cobb OTS stage 1 tune or stage 0 (stock like) map? Also, what parameters were you logging for the run? Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am interested to getting a Fabspeed Protune eventually and wondering if you did the 3rd gear redline run log with the Cobb OTS stage 1 tune or stage 0 (stock like) map? Also, what parameters were you logging for the run? Thanks!
I asked the same question, and they ask you to run the log with stage 0 (stock map) so they can see all the flat spots and places to improve. Re: parameters, it defaults to all the main ones on the Cobb AP, unless you choose to remove some or add. Once you buy the Fabspeed Protune, they give you all the step by step instructions that are super clear.

·
Registered
80 Posts
After a few weeks of driving my 981 CS, loved everything about her, but knew I'd want to get a little more power mid-range from a tune...question is, which one? The options were dizzying as we all know. I also wasn't interested in headers as CA emissions are too strict.

Luckily I ran into @ICNU in my search, and he pointed me in the direction of Fabspeed + Cobb AP. It was great working with Fabspeed, the best customer service, very responsive, and did an awesome job with my tune. This process couldn't be simpler 1) install Cobb AP 2) datalog some runs 3) send files to tuning team 4) get tune, load Map, enjoy!
**note, drive 20ish miles hitting rev ranges in gears for the map to take full effect.

My car is stock, just a raw 981 CS / 6MT (vs. many reviews that are modded). A couple comparisons for reference:

*This to me was obvious already, delivered more mid-range power, but still had some flat spots in the 2-4k rpm range, just less pronounced. Car felt livelier across revs. Sound wise, there was an added growl up top.

*Good improvement with a snappier throttle, and all gears 2 - 4k rpms were more urgent going into the 5k+ revs. Smoother power delivery and my rev matches seemed easier to execute.

*1st - 3rd gears to redline are manic, esp. those last 6 - 7k revs. I generally feel like even in 3rd from 70mph, I can just tap the throttle and she'll surge forward unlike before.

*2nd gear - I can tap the throttle in lower revs now, and it's not as lazy as a transition from 2k - 4k revs.

*Sound wise, it gets even more growly across revs, and swear it seems the intake / induction sound is more pronounced just revving the engine. Vs. Stock Map, it convinces me I don't need another modded exhaust for a little while more.

For those wondering if it's worth doing on a stock car, I would say absolutely go for it - for $250 + any applicable discount on protune, you can't go wrong.
Have you run your logs through Virtual Dyno? When properly configured and data logs taken on flat road with little to no wind VDyno will produce HP and Tq #'s +/- a couple of actual dyno#'s.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts

Hi,
How you like your fabspeed protune? I'm new to tuning. i'm using Cobb stage II and seems i lost power, i had much better torque before installing cobb tune. i purchased the fabspeed protune two months ago. the email i got from them was to run on third gear and then email them the files, i emailed back that my 981BS is a PDK what exactly do i need to do. should i run it on sport or sport plus got the same email that said run the car on 3rd gear. so i never bothered with it. I'm in Florida i called BGB. they are 3 hours away from me i may drive there and have them install my IPD plenum and then tune the car. i guess they charge $500

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi,
I'm using Cobb stage II and seems i lost power, i had much better torque before installing cobb tune.
Seems unlikely, given that all the OTS files are the same for everyone and your car would be the first. What I did notice back in the day when I first flashed the Cobb was that the rather sudden increase in power around 4500 RPM or so in the stock map had been smoothed out somewhat. It was actually a little faster but the absence of a stronger "kick" made it not feel that way. Anyway, this is not hard to test. Run your car with the stage 0 map, time it, then repeat the exercise with the stage 2 map and see what the stopwatch says. What are your current mods, since you don't mention them? Headers? You mentioned the plenum is not on the car yet so I'm curious what mods there are that warrant using that particular map.

i purchased the fabspeed protune two months ago. the email i got from them was to run on third gear and then email them the files, i emailed back that my 981BS is a PDK what exactly do i need to do. should i run it on sport or sport plus got the same email that said run the car on 3rd gear. so i never bothered with it.
Okay... 3rd gear means 3rd gear and sport/sport+ does not matter. You use manual mode on the gearbox and take care not to push the gas pedal so deep that you activate the kickdown switch. Start somewhere around 2000 and let it go all the way until you run out of revs. A little weird that you'd pay for a tune and then forget about it when they present you with a relatively straight forward procedure. (Of course something that you can only do legally off-road)

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Seems unlikely, given that all the OTS files are the same for everyone and your car would be the first. What I did notice back in the day when I first flashed the Cobb was that the rather sudden increase in power around 4500 RPM or so in the stock map had been smoothed out somewhat. It was actually a little faster but the absence of a stronger "kick" made it not feel that way. Anyway, this is not hard to test. Run your car with the stage 0 map, time it, then repeat the exercise with the stage 2 map and see what the stopwatch says. What are your current mods, since you don't mention them? Headers? You mentioned the plenum is not on the car yet so I'm curious what mods there are that warrant using that particular map.

Okay... 3rd gear means 3rd gear and sport/sport+ does not matter. You use manual mode on the gearbox and take care not to push the gas pedal so deep that you activate the kickdown switch. Start somewhere around 2000 and let it go all the way until you run out of revs. A little weird that you'd pay for a tune and then forget about it when they present you with a relatively straight forward procedure. (Of course something that you can only do legally off-road)

I have
1. agency-power headers
2. fabspeed SuperCup
Race Exhaust

3. BMC Air Filters

·
Registered
525 Posts
I guess my previous experiences with the process aren't all that valid then. Their tuner Steve then sent me a file and told me to go out and do those runs and after each back and forth with logs he'd send me a slightly hotter file. I don't know if the same person or people are still doing the tunes for them, some staff that I was in touch with before appears to have left the company and their communications don't seem to have gone forward since then.

Anyway, you could send them a log so the next thing you'll get from them is a map of some sort that is different from the map you currently don't like.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
How you like your fabspeed protune? I'm new to tuning. i'm using Cobb stage II and seems i lost power, i had much better torque before installing cobb tune. i purchased the fabspeed protune two months ago. the email i got from them was to run on third gear and then email them the files, i emailed back that my 981BS is a PDK what exactly do i need to do. should i run it on sport or sport plus got the same email that said run the car on 3rd gear. so i never bothered with it. I'm in Florida i called BGB. they are 3 hours away from me i may drive there and have them install my IPD plenum and then tune the car. i guess they charge $500
The tune for me has been great, love the extra bit of power and the car doesn't feel lazy as stock in the lower RPMs.

Have you run your logs through Virtual Dyno? When properly configured and data logs taken on flat road with little to no wind VDyno will produce HP and Tq #'s +/- a couple of actual dyno#'s.
I have not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What are the odds I can get you guys to send me before/after (or at least "before") data logs of your 3rd gear passes?

Working out some issues with my 987.2, have a Cobb tuner + fabspeed headers. Noticed I'm getting some odd throttle plate behavior between 6200-6900 rpm - it closes slightly, then re-opens at 7000. I paid for the "pro tune" from Fabspeed but haven't heard/seen anything from them yet re: logs and I'm parking my car for the winter (supposed to be **** weather tomorrow so no driving/logging for me now until spring).

"Before" would tell me if this is normal. "After" would tell me if this is one of the things they address in their tune.

Would be super awesome... pretty please?

·
Registered
525 Posts
What are the odds I can get you guys to send me before/after (or at least "before") data logs of your 3rd gear passes?

Working out some issues with my 987.2, have a Cobb tuner + fabspeed headers. Noticed I'm getting some odd throttle plate behavior between 6200-6900 rpm - it closes slightly, then re-opens at 7000. I paid for the "pro tune" from Fabspeed but haven't heard/seen anything from them yet re: logs and I'm parking my car for the winter (supposed to be **** weather tomorrow so no driving/logging for me now until spring).

"Before" would tell me if this is normal. "After" would tell me if this is one of the things they address in their tune.

Don't think my GTS logs would be useful for you, I know I looked through them and my throttle was open all the way without interruptions. I know all models below the CGTS close the throttle plate a little from a certain amount of revs (between 5 and 6K I believe) to restrict power but on those it stays restricted all the way to redline without re-opening.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

I will be glad to send you my 981 CS before run if you think it would help you, but keep in mind it was done using the OTS Cobb stage 2 map and not from a stock car. This was my "pre pro tune" file they used, but I dont have a another run file after the pro tune at this point. Just an FYI, the "throttle angle" which I assumed is degrees maxes out at 85 on my pre run when the "throttle pedal" position is at 99.9 and stays there until I let off, once again this is with the OTS stage 2 and not a bone stock run.

PM your email info if you would like the file

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.