Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let alone the $
My 2015 Cayman is a 3.1 with software 4.75
Thoughts - and is this a dealer only ( so as to no issues and someone to blame if there are ) or take a chance and do it yourself

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Map updates can be done, but you have you have to buy the update disc, then pay Porsche to activate and install it. Like anything else Porsche, its ridiculously expensive for what should be a simple thing. Is it worth about $500 to you? Because that is about what you will be looking at when done.

· Registered
119 Posts
Yeah the stock navigation in my 14 cayman sucks compared to the phone. I have done a few experiments using it. Well it’s gotten me close to where I want to go, but not the whole way. I just use my phone for nav and music, podcasts, Sirius etc wired through the glove box. I have CarPlay in my daily and it’s great, but when I drive the cayman I don’t feel that I need it.

· Registered
187 Posts
I DO find the $ spent getting a carplay/android auto solution installed worth it. If you plan on using/keeping the car. You say "when I drive the car I don't feel I need it"... but the joys and benefits of having WAZE running... I'd say that alone justifies it :)

418 Posts
Personally, I'm way too cheap to bother with Android Auto or Car Play. I've played with AA a little on rental cars, and was not impressed. I just use a magnetic vent-mount on the Boxster to hold the phone and I'm happy. I can't stand car-integrated NAV systems, as the interfaces suck and they are often out of date... plus, with Waze, I get so much more info than the car-based ones do anyway.

I usually take the magnetic mount with me on trips so I can use it on rentals or such, as well...

· Registered
2,216 Posts
Just to clarify, this thread had nothing to do with installing CarPlay or modifying the head unit in anyway. The OP was talking about updating the software of the PCM.

You don’t magically get CarPlay by doing that, so no, updating the PCM software is not worth it, as you really get nothing in return on the stock set up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts