Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a little record and history of my new to me 2014 Base Cayman. I was blessed enough to pick it up this weekend. This all coming after an interesting car journey to get to this point.

You could say it all began and ended at a Ford dealership of all places. A few years ago, after driving a 2005 STi for almost ten years and with a pending long term deployment coming my way, I decided it was time for a change. After watching and reading from afar about all the wonderful toys Ford brought to Europe I finally found out they were bringing the Fiesta ST to America. Laugh all you want, but the small and practical hot hatch was always something I lusted after. With that in mind I put in my order while deployed and waited for my chance to drive it once I got home. That little dream ended on an Atlanta freeway after just a few thousand miles. As we know now, the 1.6 turbo used in many Ford applications does a poor job of keeping its cool.

Not wanting to deal with the headache involved with that car I quickly swapped it for my plan 1B car, a Subaru BRZ. While not as practical as the Fiesta, I reasoned it still had a back seat and would be able to handle family duties in a pinch. The cherry on top was that it gave me some heavy nostalgia for the 944 we had while I was in high school and college. Of course once truly pressed into family duty the true nature of those rear seats became apparent. At 6'4" getting anyone behind me can be an adventure in any car, let alone a car whose rear seats are primarily there for insurance purposes. An unexpected promotion and a desire for a more appropriate family friendly vehicle led me to my next car, a VW Golf R.

Equipped with DSG that car always felt like a spaceship. Silly fast and amazingly competent yet somehow aloof and un-involving unless driven at 10/10ths. I spent less time than I wanted to with the car when out of necessity we traded it in for a practical daily driver, a 2014 Chevy Volt. This time, an actual spaceship.

As a daily driver, I love the Volt. It is perfect. Most days I don't use a drop of gas. I can usually 1000 miles between fill-ups. However, it is not a fun car. It does the daily drive thing perfectly, but not the go out on the weekend and drive thing.

This all brings me to this years "summer vacation." Stuck in San Antonio for training with more time on my hands than is good for my bank account I started to look around at cars. You know how it is, "Oh, I'll just stop in at Car Max and mess around with the cars, see what's out there." The next thing you know you are going down a YouTube rabbit hole covering every tasty piece of metal you can think of. Long story short, I wound up with a beautiful 987.1. Midnight Blue Metallic over a full leather interior. All the important options I was looking for; for less than the Miatas I was looking at! And at 32K miles over its twelve year life: it was in phenomenal shape.

However, since how we do test drives sucks, I kind of wasn't honest with myself about the fit of the car. Remember, I said I'm 6'4". That significantly cuts the list of cars I can realistically drive/own. S2000, nope. Pretty much all Miatas, not a chance. 996 Carreras, a no go. However, when you are only driving for 15 minutes before making a big decision to buy a car you have always dreamed about driving it's easy to talk yourself into the fit. When driving the car with a pair of Chucks or loafers on the fit was juuuuuust there. With boots on, my knees where pretty much welded to the bottom of the wheel. All this led to me really not wanting to drive the car anymore. I always enjoyed it while I was driving, but it was something I wasn't looking forward to. I tried the smaller steering wheel route with only frustration to show for it. That's a long story that I won't get into.

Luckily I managed to find a great deal for this beautiful Rhodium Silver on Yachting Blue 981. The changes Porsche made to the interior dimensions of the car in addition to a steering wheel that telescopes a bit further means I can now fit comfortably in a Cayman. And this time I purposely test drove the car with boots on to make sure everything fits. On top of that, I think I got the cheapest Cayman in American due to the mileage and the lack of options. Plus, the blue interior is not everyone's cup of tea.

So why target 100k in the title? With the 987 mileage and condition were so good that, on top of not fitting, I didn't want to drive it and increase the miles. I bought a garage queen telling myself I would drive it, when in reality it just became my own garage queen. This new one has 55k on the clock already. The previous owner drove it and I am going to do the same. So far I couldn't be happier. The car has zero options outside of metallic paint. Not one. I was worried I would miss PDLS, but the Halogen lights or good. Not Bi Xenon good, but good. The base stereo is okay, but I rarely have it on since the engine sounds so fantastic.

Tomorrow it goes to my mechanic to for a once over. Hopefully some new tires to follow shortly. My plan is to keep this thread updated with pics and any experiences I have as I drive this car on the regular. The Volt will still get driven regularly too since sometimes you just want to glide to work an a magic carpet.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats and nice write-up. I like the blue interior, but as you said it may not be for everyone. Glad it fits and enjoy!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Because of height I had to pass on a new Miata RF myself, although the current model may have a tiny bit more room. I didn't care for the 86 interior and was so lucky that someone mentioned "used Porsche" to me. You are only going to fall more in love with it while eventually thinking maybe an S or GTS or GT4 or... :)

It's nearly a perfect sports car. It elevates you, the driver, every time you sit behind the wheel. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. it's a blast and was worth moving up from the 987. I looked at Miatas hard as well, but decided to go with the 987.

I will say the BRZ is scary good on driving terms. If they could smooth out the power band they would have an all time classic on their hands. The steering is very close to the Cayman, and if memory serves the facelifted suspension with Sachs dampers rides a little bit better than the Cayman. It's a very compelling proposition for someone looking for a sports car without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the car by my local indy shop. Take a good once over and got to take a look underneath myself. Everything looked to be in great shape. The main reason I took it was the small oil leak found on the pre-purchase inspection. I figured it was that the Ford dealership, not taking their time, had just replaced the drain plug without installing a crush washer. Turns out they just hadn't tightened the drain plug! Everything snugged down and looking good now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very nice car.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Took the car by my local indy shop. Take a good once over and got to take a look underneath myself. Everything looked to be in great shape. The main reason I took it was the small oil leak found on the pre-purchase inspection. I figured it was that the Ford dealership, not taking their time, had just replaced the drain plug without installing a crush washer. Turns out they just hadn't tightened the drain plug! Everything snugged down and looking good now.
I helped out an older couple a few months ago that got an oil pressure warning and were stranded the day after taking their brand new Ford pickup into the dealership for its first oil change. Turns out the idiots at the dealer didn't tighten the oil filter. I took the guy to Walmart to buy some oil, tightened their filter, filled her up and sent them on their way. Just hoping that poor guy didn't burn up the engine in his brand new pickup because of a minimum wage oil change tech at the stealership. It's one of the reasons I DIY all my oil changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just installed a new set of Goodyear F-1s. The last set were over 4 years and all 4 were varying tread depth. Much better now. The tires felt greasy coming out of turns and exhibited really bad skipping on tight/slow turns. As much as I love the look of the 20 inch wheels on these cars, I like the look of the fat tire stance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This past week I had a chance for my first real road trip in the car. 750 miles out and back to San Antonio. While I was there I hit up one of my favorite roads, or set of roads, in the Texas Hill Country. The Twisted sisters are made up Ranch Roads 335, 336, and 337. They make up a hundred mile loop through some beautiful scenery, some hair raising river crossings, and some of the most enjoyable roads around. If you are in the area I highly recommend them.

It also gave me a chance to work on my photography and editing skills. More pics from this trip to come.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts