Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well... "for the year".

I imagine they might just put some stricter controls on the process and, ultimately, maybe even make more money from this. If they restrict them from running unless they rent the whole track for a day or something, it could be both safer and more lucrative.

They must know what a valuable asset they have control over...

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When someone tells you they will review a decision in a year, don't hold your breath.

This is also the 991.2 facelift year. No 991.2 times, No Z06 times, all carmakers are effected.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's a helluva coincidence... these "safety" speed limit restrictions going into place just a few days before the One:1 was going to likely destroy the 918 lap record for a production car.

German state protectionism?

Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
That's a helluva coincidence... these "safety" speed limit restrictions going into place just a few days before the One:1 was going to likely destroy the 918 lap record for a production car.

German state protectionism?

Just sayin'.
I agree on the suspicious timing, but based on the Car and Driver experience with the One:1, I believe they really were thinking of the One:1 driver's life vs. Porsche's reputation.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Re: What the hell, Green Hell?

Coming soon: the world's largest bicycle track! :hilarious:

Hey, don't knock it! I once rode my road bike around the F1 circuit in Melbourne the day before the race. You should have heard the engine roaring and gear shift RPMs going all out! Oh yeah, I was making those noises and felt every bit of 10 years old while doing it!!!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

Coming soon: the world's largest bicycle track! :hilarious:

Hey, don't knock it! I once rode my road bike around the F1 circuit in Melbourne the day before the race. You should have heard the engine roaring and gear shift RPMs going all out! Oh yeah, I was making those noises and felt every bit of 10 years old while doing it!!!
And I ran around Road America early one Sunday AM on a PCA DE weekend event there. But the owners of RA are not that stupid to ban fast driving, folks. If the Ring keeps it's posture, they have just faded intro history and now have no significance in the modern world. It just a piece of old asphalt, going forward, that I am no longer interested in seeing our driving on.

Farewell Nordschleife! We are sad to see u go and that u will no longer be relative in the automotive world. RIP!

·
Registered
507 Posts

don't worry, we will still get lap times but now they'll be more regulated and they will cost the manufacturers more money now. I honestly think its a great thing, more regulation = honest lap times.

·
Registered
40 Posts

It's kind of disappointing, but on the other hand, part of me is a little relieved that there might be one less silly way for us magazine racers to compare cars based on what they can do at limits that most of us will never [or at best, very rarely] see.

·
Registered
408 Posts

They aren't stupid and this is not a long-term solution... I would bet, rather than keep speed limits in place... they would eventually re-build the tack in those sections to slow down the top speeds.

And you know, if in the meantime for the next few years until that's done, the 918 keeps the record, well isn't that convenient.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Are people aware that there was a fatal accident in March when a Nissan GTR GT3 flipped and landed off the track, killing a spectator.
and that that had stopped racing (at least certain classes) there until this issue was addressed.
I presume this decision is an extension of that.

If they modify the track layout to slow down in these dangerous areas it will mean that lap times won't be comparable.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Nurburgring Has Banned Manufacturers From Setting Lap Records

Nurburgring Has Banned Manufacturers From Setting Lap Records

I'm almost positive that this has been posted, but my search found nothing. Sorry if its a re-post. * Ah. I did my searches under "Nurburgring" .. Not "Ring"! Curse U, Chow Dog! Hah!.

The Nurburgring lap time has been the go-to marketing tool for manufacturers of fast machinery for years now. Whether you make an exotic hypercar or pokey little hot hatch, the Green Hell has been seen as the perfect way to put a marketable figure on your car’s performance. It looks like that’s all set to change.

J.F. Musial, executive producer of the upcoming hypercar documentary ‘Apex’, has written a blog detailing how Koenigsegg’s attempts to set a lap time with the One:1 have had to be put on hold. Musial and his crew were preparing to fly to Germany to film the hypercar’s effort, however the Nurburgring’s management team “moved to ban manufacturers from attempting and publishing timed laps on the famed, 13-mile course.”

It’s a massive disappointment for Christian von Koenigsegg, who was confident of shaving “double-digits” off the Porsche 918’s 6m 57s time. The move is not out of the blue, though, and is hardly unexpected.

Back in March, Jann Mardenborough’s Nissan GT-R race car left the track at Flugplatz, clearing the catch fencing and killing a spectator. Since that moment, ‘Ring management has made moves to slow cars at certain sections of the track to minimize risk.

That could have been considered nothing more than a knee-jerk response to a horrifying incident, intended to buy time until a long-term solution could be found. This latest announcement, however, appears to show that Nurburgring bosses want to put an end to the potentially dangerous arms race that has grown between manufacturers at the circuit - every new car needs to be faster than its rival, and with faster speeds come bigger crashes, and with increased pressure to succeed comes bigger risks taken by drivers.

The Nurburgring is an ancient track that has long been considered one of the most dangerous circuits in the world, so it’s probably about time its management invested in seriously modernizing the circuit if it is to survive; it should be possible to redesign a few of the more dangerous sections of track without destroying the whole circuit’s character and allure. Unfortunately that would cost vast sums of money.

Would such drastic measures be such a bad thing? Not necessarily. As I mentioned, if the circuit’s owners want to invest heavily in resurfacing a few particularly dangerous sections, the circuit might lose a little character, but on the whole that’s a small price to pay for its survival.

The alternative could be that manufacturers only use the Nurburgring for testing purposes - the main appeal of the track is that it has all the bumps and yumps testers love to subject cars to in relatively controlled conditions.

Timed laps would be no more, but they’re not exactly representative of what you experience on the road. Just because a professional racing driver can lap the ‘Ring marginally faster in a Megane RS Trophy R, does that mean I’ll enjoy the car more than a Seat Leon Cupra 280? I’m not convinced.

Whatever the ultimate outcome, this could be a huge turning point in the world of the Nurburgring. We’ll watch this developing story with great interest…

http://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-nurburgring-has-banned-manufacturers-from-setting-lap-records/

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Re: Nurburgring Has Banned Manufacturers From Setting Lap Records

I think it was posted by the RSS Bot.

This seems a bit disingenuous on their part. I keep hearing the ring is in financial trouble. True or not I don't know. I'd think manufacturer testing and record runs would be a meaningful part of their income. Good advertising too.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Re: Nurburgring Has Banned Manufacturers From Setting Lap Records

Nordschleife.jpg

The Nordschleife has become THE standard of the sports car industry... And for many very good reasons. An occasional death in the sport has always been a part of the game, and will remain so as long as we drive sportscars. Deaths are not a result of driving fast at the Nurburgring, but as a result from driving sportscars fast. At least at the Nordschleife, driving fast has a quantitative value that most enthusiasts can relate to. Just keep the insurance premiums paid up.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
One of the issues is that cars are much faster today. Finishing a full lap under seven minutes with a road legal car is pretty insane. It wasn't that long ago when breaking 8-minute mark was a pretty daunting task.

As much as I would like to see lap times from manufacturers, I can see the concerns that the 'Ring's management has. The kind of speed modern cars could carry through everywhere on the track is pretty crazy. The track simply doesn't leave enough slack for even a small error if the drivers are going at full speeds. Of course no one sale motorsports is a low risk activity, but the crash from the GTR was clearly a wake up call -- even though that involved a spectator which timed laps often don't have from manufactures, and the GTR went airborne due to failed aerodynamics.

The rate that car manufacturers or magazines (Sport Auto's 7:42 lap on the GT4 was effectively the same type of activity) are testing these cars are pretty crazy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts