Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any problems yet?
Also since I think my oil leak may infact be the RMS, do they have to remove the engine, or the transmssion? This makes the 2nd time I've seen an oil leak on my car, but the first was front side @ the oil pump.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
It might be on one of the cam towers - that's happened to my motor... either way, the repair would call for the removal of the engine. Mine was taken out at 20k miles to fix that leak, and it has been fine for more than 22k more miles. Removal of the motor is not really a big deal, imo.

If it is an RMS leak, it would be rare - these are just not as prevalent with the M97 motors as in the M96 engines, which is why it leads me to believe it might be something esle.

brad

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope you are right Beez...No hits as of yet. I will try to spend some time under the car now that I've cleaned it. I've learned well that the only way to really tell where the oil is coming from is to start clean, then drive a few miles and find the starting point.

Another thought would be the transmission flange seal, it was covered in oily rez, not cosmoline. This is really more of seepage than a full blown leak.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
The good news is, if the car is still under warranty, and it is an RMS leak, they have a great fix for it, and will likely be fine after that - they will measure it if it's an RMS leak, and if it's within specs, they'll fix it... if not, you get a brand-new motor... the only down-side to that, is you have to break-in a new engine.

brad

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after spending quite a bit of time to clean up the engine! Here are a couple pics after just 30 miles of driving.

The pics show just a very small amount of oil, but know that it took over an hour to clean the caked up cosmoline, dirty, oily mess. The transmission heatsinks were completely covered, so much that I even thought it was a transmission leak.

So how soon should I visit the dealer?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow up; RMS replaced @ 19,000 miles. Also replaced the IMS shaft seal. All was done under warranty as expected. Only down side was that they installed all but "1" of the engine/transmission bolts, yes they apparently didn't think that putting all of the bolts back in was el-nessisito. So the bolt that was forgotten will get replaced when "I" DIY the next oil change, it's only like $5. Chipped one of the rear calipers when R&R the rear wheel too.

I'm not too happy that Porsche paid the dealer to do a half @ss job.

Light weight mod of the day, remove some un-needed hardware..:banana:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Well after spending quite a bit of time to clean up the engine! Here are a couple pics after just 30 miles of driving.

The pics show just a very small amount of oil, but know that it took over an hour to clean the caked up cosmoline, dirty, oily mess. The transmission heatsinks were completely covered, so much that I even thought it was a transmission leak.

So how soon should I visit the dealer?
Sorry to hijack this thread, but what is that cable for? I think this was explained before, but I've forgotten

·
Registered
1 Posts
RMS: Tales of M96 Woe - September Excellence Mag. Note to Tech Editor Bruce Anderson
Bruce, correct me if I am wrong but I was very pleased to lean that the probability that my 06 Cayman will experience a RMS leak is much lower than I thought. Quoting from portions of the above article:

"The RMS was again up-dated in July 2005, this time to a Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene material (PTFE). ---- The issue with crankshaft being off center was actually a machining tolerance problem (associate with the locating dowel pins) as opposed to a component moving internally. --- The sever and well-know RMS issues that seemed to plague early 986 Boxsters and 996 Carreras now generally appear to be a thing of the past and the reliability of M97 engine seems to be holding. "

Previously, I had believed that the center crankshaft carrier could move off center as the miles piled on requiring the replacement of the complete engine.

Chuck B. -
Saratoga CA

·
Registered
307 Posts
Follow up; RMS replaced @ 19,000 miles. Also replaced the IMS shaft seal. All was done under warranty as expected.
My '07 2.7 Cayman was found to be "seeping" at the bellhousing in a prepurchase inspection. 27k miles.
Did they check your engine for the crank cradle alignment?
Did they remove only the g-box?
I was thinking it would be a good time to snag the gearbox while it's out and install a TBD. Judging by your job, do you think I would be able to take the gearbox for a day and get it back to them without holding up the job?
Thanks, C.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only way to know would be to ask the dealership doing the work. Might offer them a couple hours of labor on a different repair order. Look at it like this will occupy their equipment for more time while the transmission is out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they said no altogether. Keep us posted...:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts