Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad the Cayman made that list.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
look at some of these cars - they are awesome. not everyone wants to drive an accord, camry or passat right?

E63S wagon - YES!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
IMHO, the Cayman is one of the few examples of poor Porsche marketing.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I guess we 2014 981 owners have potential collector cars (rare).

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
IMHO, the Cayman is one of the few examples of poor Porsche marketing.
Why's that? When is the last time you've seen a Boxster or Cayman commercial on TV? I can't remember. I see local 911 commercials lately and I've seen Cayenne, no 987/981 commercials. What's up with that?

I guess we 2014 981 owners have potential collector cars (rare).
2009 - 12 are much rarer, 2010 cars, in US, 39% of of 2014 sales. If you want a rare Cayman, buy a 2010. Unfortunately, in this case if no one wants them, that doesn't make them collector cars because no one will want to collect them. It makes them junkyard bait and in 20 years there might be few survivors. :(

·
Registered
537 Posts
2009 - 12 are much rarer, 2010 cars, in US, 39% of of 2014 sales. If you want a rare Cayman, buy a 2010. Unfortunately, in this case if no one wants them, that doesn't make them collector cars because no one will want to collect them. It makes them junkyard bait and in 20 years there might be few survivors. :(
Sold my 2011.

Few survivors = more value. Don't discount what collectors might value when the ownership opportunities are slim.

That said, I don't consider my 981 a collector car, and frankly I wish I hadn't made the statement.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Sold my 2011.

Few survivors = more value. Don't discount what collectors might value when the ownership opportunities are slim.

That said, I don't consider my 981 a collector car, and frankly I wish I hadn't made the statement.
Actually some Porsches that weren't collector cars 20 years ago are starting to be collectable now. You never know.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chow - split windows go way over $100K.....

old bodys esp microbuses go for alot, even if all rusted out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Actually some Porsches that weren't collector cars 20 years ago are starting to be collectable now. You never know.
Agreed. That was my point...but I pulled back from my statement after I decided I didn't want to debate the issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Outside of the air cooled 993 TT and 73 RS, which ones appreciate more than MSRP?

http://www.planet-9.com/club-911-general-discussion/107149-bj-carrera-3-2-a.html

Two pcars at BJ Palm Springs. 911 3.2 sold for 78% of MSRP, 98 Boxster for 37%. 356s appreciate. 930 Turbos rarely do well as many are modded. Non-OEM cars are worthless to collectors. Just curious, which ones appreciate? retaining 78% of MSRP is a survivor, not a collectible to me. Obviously some people will buy anything but those building collections surely want cars that appreciate.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Caymans are unicorns.

They're in the toughest price range of the market for sports cars. People usually want more of a GT car (focus is luxury, not performance) than a sports car in that price range, since they're still aspirational buyers. Again, hence why 2+2 sport coupes and sport sedans sell in much, much, much larger numbers. Mind you, Boxsters don't sell in much higher numbers either. The TT, Z4, and SLK sell better due to a combination of a larger dealer network (easier availability), lower pricing, and less sporting focus.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts