Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to say I'm completely in love with this car and I think we're officially a Porsche family, meaning the next new car we purchase will be another Porsche (if it were today I'd get a 991 GTS but we'll see what MY2018 has in store). With 2000 miles on the odometer and a second long trip under my belt, I have a few subtle observations about the car. First and foremost, the mid engined chassis is completely brilliant and it really shows on a constant radius 3rd gear turn. Hold steady throttle and feel it rotate perfectly - it's like no front engined car. We have the standard suspension and I have to say it's quite sporty. I know it's not as low as an X73 suspension, but the dampers are excellent and the springs are among the stiffest you'll find on a factory car especially one this light. Honestly, I think she would have preferred we had gone with a PASM to smooth it out over bumpy roads. The short wheelbase does get tossed around more than a sports sedan would (I know, the penalty is the S4 can't change direction as readily).

Second, I'm beyond impressed with the PDK. The 2.7 motor packs a bit more punch than it may get credit for, perhaps because not many magazines or even blogs review it. This engine (sound/feel/powerband) actually reminds me a bit of the BMW N52 motor, which was in the 325i and 328i E90 chassis cars. Obviously it revs 1000 RPM higher and has a better transmission, that both does a 0-60 in about 5 seconds and delivers 33 MPG (!) on highway trips oscillating between 60 and 80 MPH as traffic allows. I just discovered the PDK "coasting" feature where it disengages the driveline and the revs drop to 600 RPM, during the high MPG run. Touch the gas and the revs jump back up. Perhaps I hadn't noticed it because I was using the "Sport" button and manual PDK shifting on all of my other trip segments. I discovered the two clicks at the bottom of the gas pedal that downshift. They're easy to find with your foot, and you can intuitively accelerate short of them if you don't want to downshift. The 7-to-3 right foot downshift is as great a joy as any perfectly executed manual shift. 6-to-2 is cool but the speeds are a lot lower. I also like with the multifunction wheel you can use your palm to shift, or you fingers. It's pretty easy to do the palm shift - just squeeze. Normally I have a light grip on the wheel at 9 and 3.

I saw a brand new M4 convertible at the hotel we were staying at with temporary tags on it, and I have to say it couldn't have looked more ordinary and I couldn't have been less impressed. I wouldn't be surprised if the 981 had more luggage room. I can fit as much luggage as we would take on any airplane for two people to travel for 4 nights. Even a full sized checked bag fits under the hood standing up.

I wouldn't drive this car in snow, though there were some 35 degree stretches of wet road in Yosemite. I did my best to warm the tires up with a few hard stops. I like to run it at 35 cold and 39 warm, on the 20x8.5 and 20x10 HRE's with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The ride is very comfortable and the turn in is sharp. Reaching the ABS threshold on those tires in that cold was pretty easy, so I didn't really get to test the Portersfield R4S pads we're using. They produce a very black brake dust. I hated the initial bite of the stock pads, but I feel the stock rotors are good for a street car at this weight, especially considering it's mid engined. On my S4 I have a 380mm BBK and I run Pagid RS29 on it full time, so I'm used to hit-a-brick-wall braking.

I'm still getting used to the PAS radar cruise option. Apparently the ACC (automatic cruise control system) needs to be engaged every time you drive in order for the crash safe features to be "active". I bought it to protect the car, mainly, figuring one careless rear end accident would blow my $2000 collision deductible. Today cruising about 75 MPH approaching the Bay Bridge from Oakland, a Prius was trying to get out of the left lane to exit the highway split and the PAS system dropped my speed to 55 MPH by braking. It was pretty incredible. In reality it's VERY conservative. Where I would leave one tractor trailer length between a car and myself on a highway cruise, the system will space you out by a double-walmart-tractor trailer length. It's long enough where it messes up the flow of American city traffic. It might work better in Germany where everyone stays in their lane. Basically if you're going 80 with another car and you use the middle lane when it's empty, and then another car enters the middle lane going 70 it will slow you to 70 very gradually. Then you inadvertently lose your leading position and the other car going 80 blows by you. The system really shines in stop and go traffic. Set it to a max of 25 MPH and let it do all of the driving. If the highway is straight you don't even need to turn. Full stops in traffic require you to touch the gas once to resume the autopilot. I think it's worth the $2k just for that.

boxster-sticker.jpg IMG_20141119_113338.jpg yosemite-box.jpg mpg.jpg

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Looking at your spec sheet I'd love to see some photographs of the interior of the car. Beautiful Boxster. Your opinions about the PDK and 2.7 were great to read. I see that you have ACC on the car. Would you mind sharing any experiences with that option?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at your spec sheet I'd love to see some photographs of the interior of the car. Beautiful Boxster. Your opinions about the PDK and 2.7 were great to read. I see that you have ACC on the car. Would you mind sharing any experiences with that option?
I added a paragraph about the ACC/PAS in the OP. I forgot to remark about the seats. I'm a pretty skinny guy and the standard seats fit pretty tight against my back. We opted for the two tone, but not the full leather two tone like most people post with here. This was the $600 option, and it's unbelievably nice.

leather.jpg

Reactions: swessels

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amazing fuel economy on a desert run in the rain with a passenger and 150 lbs of luggage (speed limit 70-75). Pilot Super Sports have incredible grip, confidence and traction in the wet especially, even in 20" size at 41 PSI hot.

Attachments

Reactions: Connecticut_Roy

·
Registered
613 Posts
Great pix. Nice to see such a happy owner. I am actually wondering if I should have gotten the base 981 with an MT rather than the S because the gearing is so long in the S that you can travel "too quickly" on public roads in 3rd gear. That is a fine looking car.

Reactions: sdj

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have very similar impressions from my boxster base. Interesting about the gas pedal. I am finding similar... I found the feel for it so I don't go to 1/2 gear from 6/7, but rather to 3/4.

I like the idea of adaptive cruise control, but in reality, if I am having to slow for traffic, I am going to try passing them anyway. In stop and go traffic, I wouldn't trust a computer. On a highway, I am in the left lane going around traffic rather than right lane following. Seems there is no way to turn it off and manually control speed which is bummer too.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I also got about 27.5 today driving around for about 60 miles.
On the highway was driving 70-80 mostly.
I do have some 100 octane fuel in there that I managed to get from King's Union 76 – Quality Gasoline, was mixed with 91 octane, though forgot the ratio.
I have stock pzero tires.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have very similar impressions from my boxster base. Interesting about the gas pedal. I am finding similar... I found the feel for it so I don't go to 1/2 gear from 6/7, but rather to 3/4.

I like the idea of adaptive cruise control, but in reality, if I am having to slow for traffic, I am going to try passing them anyway. In stop and go traffic, I wouldn't trust a computer. On a highway, I am in the left lane going around traffic rather than right lane following. Seems there is no way to turn it off and manually control speed which is bummer too.
On this trip I let the computer drive for about 450 of the 550 miles. The system is truly unflappable and well thought out. Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego are stop-and-go city. It made the drive a real pleasure and extended my effective range (as a human). In other words, I can drive for longer in a frustrating situation because a computer is doing some of the tedious work. It keeps far safer following distances. It can even handle motorcycles, when someone is on track to drift into your lane, etc. It reduces the speed in a consistent way that loads and unloads the suspension without upsetting the chassis, whereas humans get emotional (or use their reptilian brain) and stab the inputs.

If every car in the United States was equipped with PAS there would be far fewer avoidable accidents and deaths. Especially given that most people are susceptible to distractions like their kids, their phone, their entertainment system, the stress of their life, fatigue, etc.

Reactions: swessels

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Great review. I agree on all counts, and I love your wheels.

Reactions: westwest888

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Great review. Have you tried reducing the ACCs distance with the toggle switch on the stalk? Still too conservative for you?? Also, maybe I'm wrong, I thought PAS was active all the time unless you switch it off in the MFD settings?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great review. Have you tried reducing the ACCs distance with the toggle switch on the stalk? Still too conservative for you?? Also, maybe I'm wrong, I thought PAS was active all the time unless you switch it off in the MFD settings?
That's a game changer. I did notice the 3 orange bars in the ACC and was wondering why it never went to 1 bar when cars got closer. Let me try that. I should really read the manual on that section.

I do not believe ACC is active in any way unless you toggle the system on, where it will give you warnings and intervene only if an impact is imminent. The 2nd mode is ACC on and cruise engaged. When you override an input like use the throttle it will let you drive for a moment, and resume its control once you release the gas.

I have the base infotainment system w/o nav, so I don't have a special menu for it in the nav area. There are many situations in which you don't want it active, like a twisty road or on a track. The reason I even became aware of the system was when I was instructing a student in a track day in his RS5 and he basically stopped the car in Turn 2 at Laguna. It was the pre-crash system being a bit overzealous given the conditions. I saw the potential.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I saw a brand new M4 convertible at the hotel we were staying at with temporary tags on it, and I have to say it couldn't have looked more ordinary and I couldn't have been less impressed.

I've tracked the new M3 and it's remarkable how well it performs on the 3 series platform. Much to the consternation of a 991S owner, I was able to pass him on the track in the M3 and despite several attempts, he was unable to pass me. It amazes me that some people are willing to pay $120K for a car, but are unwilling to spend a couple thousand extra to learn how to drive the car. There was also a 991 GT3 on the same track, but that car had no problem blowing pass the M3.
Notwithstanding the couple styling additions and 20" wheels, I completely agree with your perspective regarding the M3's appearance: it's an ordinary looking car. But to some that's a plus, since not everyone wants a car that attracts attention.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a brand new M4 convertible at the hotel we were staying at with temporary tags on it, and I have to say it couldn't have looked more ordinary and I couldn't have been less impressed.

I've tracked the new M3 and it's remarkable how well it performs on the 3 series platform. Much to the consternation of a 991S owner, I was able to pass him on the track in the M3 and despite several attempts, he was unable to pass me. It amazes me that some people are willing to pay $120K for a car, but are unwilling to spend a couple thousand extra to learn how to drive the car. There was also a 991 GT3 on the same track, but that car had no problem blowing pass the M3.
Notwithstanding the couple styling additions and 20" wheels, I completely agree with your perspective regarding its appearance: it's an ordinary looking car. But to some that's a plus, since not everyone wants a car that attracts attention.
The M3 has a very quick engine, one of the quickest out there. The 991S is probably a bit easier to drive around a track than an F80, which might be a handful with its twitchy power and massive torque. The notion of a $75k 3 series offends me a bit, especially since the package isn't perfect (unusable iDrive, cheap incandescent bulbs everywhere there should be LED, etc.) The value engineering is too evident. I did see a white M4 coupe in Orange County that looked much more desirable than the gray convertible.

The Porsche is a different class of car in every subjective category. Every tactile bit of it feels different. Of course, if you want a turbocharged version of one it's $150k in 2014. That might change next year.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The 991S is probably a bit easier to drive around a track than an F80, which might be a handful with its twitchy power and massive torque.

Having driven a 991S on many occasions, you can take out your qualifier "probably". From my experience it would be suicidal for an inexperienced driver to push an M3 to its limits on the track. A performance driving school is mandatory. Actually the easiest car to drive around the track from my experience is the 981S. It's just unfortunate that it doesn't have another 30HP, especially since its suspension can easily accommodate the extra HP.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More than a handful of journalists wrecked their press cars. One of the reasons I like tracking my Audi is after a 50 hour week and a drive in traffic to the track, I can make a mistake and not ball up the car. Just keep your right foot in it and quattro pulls you out of your error, assuming there is space to go off line.

The 991S is so consistent and safe lap after lap it's almost boring (in a good way). Doesn't make your heart jump out of your chest.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
That's a game changer. I did notice the 3 orange bars in the ACC and was wondering why it never went to 1 bar when cars got closer. Let me try that. I should really read the manual on that section.

I do not believe ACC is active in any way unless you toggle the system on, where it will give you warnings and intervene only if an impact is imminent. The 2nd mode is ACC on and cruise engaged. When you override an input like use the throttle it will let you drive for a moment, and resume its control once you release the gas.

I have the base infotainment system w/o nav, so I don't have a special menu for it in the nav area. There are many situations in which you don't want it active, like a twisty road or on a track. The reason I even became aware of the system was when I was instructing a student in a track day in his RS5 and he basically stopped the car in Turn 2 at Laguna. It was the pre-crash system being a bit overzealous given the conditions. I saw the potential.
Good idea to read the manual, even though it's not written in the best style for us. The ACC is not instantly intuitive.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made that adjustment. The following distance is better but still conservative enough that even a timid driver can fill the gap between me and the car in front of me. I still love the system, though.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Made that adjustment. The following distance is better but still conservative enough that even a timid driver can fill the gap between me and the car in front of me. I still love the system, though.
Glad you tried it out. The traffic isn't as bad where/when I drive.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another point I didn't touch on is the quality of the soft top. It must be triple lined. I think there's two layers of thick canvas, and then another netting/headliner stretched over the understructure. It's remarkably quiet and insulated with the top down. 9 seconds to put the top down is incredible; even new BMW's take 20 seconds. It feels about as quick as putting the windows down in a sports sedan. All of that and it doesn't encroach on the luggage room like many other drop tops.

IMG_20141209_201444.jpg

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The larger engine of the "S" version gets most of the publicity - mostly due to the "bigger is better" mindset. But I read a few reviews of the 981 in which the author preferred the smaller engine; because it was more "rev happy" and the lower HP rating caused the author to use more of the RPM range.

Nice write-up. Enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts