Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are heading out Saturday on a two week road trip. We are planning on spending two nights at the new Jimmy Buffett resort in Pigeon Forge, then taking the tail of the Dragon on our way to Myrtle Beach for a week. Just looking for any tips/points of interest etc. from anyone who has made the trip.

Preparation - 07 Boxster S with 51k - The car is in great condition, I sprayed the 3M temporary bra on yesterday, I have a new Kenwood 2 din head end with Navigation going in Wednesday and an oil change happening tomorrow. I have a spare HID bulb, a spare fan belt and will take a quart of oil. I have checked and the air compress or is working and I am picking up and extra tire repair kit.

Any suggestions on other maintenance items I may need for the trip?
How have you dealt with the heat from the leather seats on such a long hot trip?
Any great places to see/eat that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Been to the area a couple of times. Try Route 441 Gatlinburg to Cherokee through Great Smokey National Park.

If you look on a map, there is a scenic way to get from Pigeon Forge to US129 Tail of the Dragon. It heads south west into the National Park towards Cades Cove and then a road called Parsons Branch over to US 129. DO NOT go this way to the Dragon. Parsons Branch is a very rough gravel dirt road with many deep ruts. A Porsche would not make it, significant damage very possible. You need a pick up truck or a SUV with some ground clearance.

Have a nice trip ..... the area is very scenic

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, sounds like that road would make for a bad day! I'll cross it off the paper map.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! One nice route to the dragon from Pigeon Forge is thru Wears Valley on 321 to Townsend then take the Foothills Parkway to Happy Valley and 129 at the beginning of the Dragon in TN. After driving the Dragon I would return by taking 28 from Deals Gap and 74 to 441 at Cherokee and over Newfound Gap back to Gatlinburg. The side road up to Clingmans Dome and the hike to the top are nice. There are several nice hikes and beautiful scenery off 441 in the park. Watch for bears on the Dragon ( not the furry kind). The River Road from the Park Headquarters to Townsend is very nice too and you could return to Pigeon Forge via 321 through Wears Valley. Our favorite place to eat is The Park Grill in Gatlinburg.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a great trip! One nice route to the dragon from Pigeon Forge is thru Wears Valley on 321 to Townsend then take the Foothills Parkway to Happy Valley and 129 at the beginning of the Dragon in TN. After driving the Dragon I would return by taking 28 from Deals Gap and 74 to 441 at Cherokee and over Newfound Gap back to Gatlinburg. The side road up to Clingmans Dome and the hike to the top are nice. There are several nice hikes and beautiful scenery off 441 in the park. Watch for bears on the Dragon ( not the furry kind). The River Road from the Park Headquarters to Townsend is very nice too and you could return to Pigeon Forge via 321 through Wears Valley. Our favorite place to eat is The Park Grill in Gatlinburg.
I will get out the old trusty map tonight and mark this route on it, I looked up the Park Grill and it looks like my kind of place. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Dragon can get very crowded on the weekends, try to drive it on a weekday morning if you can. The Cerohala Skyway (hwy165/143) is also nice, not as tight as the Dragon.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Be careful in the Carolinas near the coast. The access towns to Myrtle Beach are small towns with low speed limits. 15 over is 30 day license suspension in NC. Let us know how things are at Myrtle Manor ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful in the Carolinas near the coast. The access towns to Myrtle Beach are small towns with low speed limits. 15 over is 30 day license suspension in NC. Let us know how things are at Myrtle Manor ;)

That might be the best piece of advice I have gotten, i assume you mean 15MPH over, I hope:drivingskid:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some people may hate me for this....
Spend a night in Myrtle Beach. Then head south to Charleston SC
downtown Charleston is a very happening place for young and old. The food is outstanding for Merica. Myrtle beach has some good local spots but for the most part it's Anytown USA. Your wife would love you if you took her. Then drive an hour and a bit south to Savannah. Very historic. Worth your time.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
downtown Charleston is a very happening place for young and old. The food is outstanding for Merica. Myrtle beach has some good local spots but for the most part it's Anytown USA. Your wife would love you if you took her. Then drive an hour and a bit south to Savannah. Very historic. Worth your time.

But Charlotte hasn't got a national icon like Myrtle Manor. Who can pass up those Pink Flamingos?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Couldn't agree more. We did Charleston in the spring. It is a great Southern city. The food is unparalleled and there are some very nice hotels. Read up on Trip Advisor if you are interested. My wife plans all that stuff and I pick the scenic roads. She is an expert.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I already have a condo booked in Myrtle Bach, so Charleston will have to wait for another trip. Looks like the plan is 3 days in the Pigeon Forge area travelling what sounds like some great roads, at least one dinner at the Park Grill, 5 days in Myrtle Beach (avoiding the trailer park), then up to NC to visit some friends that just moved there last week before making the trek home.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Road trips are always fun! That's what this cars were created for! If you'd make an approximate map of your trip on google maps - we could give you more ideas. As it is it's very vague where you'll be driving.

In any case, if you can - do the Blue Ridge parkway - one of the most beautiful road in the world. As for the tail of the Dragon it's (a little) overrated, overpopulated and therefore has too much attention from the cops. There are many equally great twisty roads in NC and other states too.

Reactions: j patterson

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure why you would be bringing Spare parts, unless you have had issues with the car. I just completed a trip in my 09 Cayman s from Brampton to California, on to Vegas and home, with no issues. We drove 10hrs per day at an average speed 85 miles/hr and often much higher. Crossing Death Valley was a 2 hr run up to 110 mph in 51 degree heat. No issues A/c kept everything cool. Leather seats no problem. Not sure if you have PASAM but really makes the car comfortable on long hi way drives. I did 8500km on the trip in 10 days and the car was perfect. You should have no worries. All I did was put new tires on prior to leaving. Have fun

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure why you would be bringing Spare parts, unless you have had issues with the car. I just completed a trip in my 09 Cayman s from Brampton to California, on to Vegas and home, with no issues. We drove 10hrs per day at an average speed 85 miles/hr and often much higher. Crossing Death Valley was a 2 hr run up to 110 mph in 51 degree heat. No issues A/c kept everything cool. Leather seats no problem. Not sure if you have PASAM but really makes the car comfortable on long hi way drives. I did 8500km on the trip in 10 days and the car was perfect. You should have no worries. All I did was put new tires on prior to leaving. Have fun
Sounds like you had a great trip, although a little hot for my taste, Unfortunately from what I am hearing I won't get to do 110 where I am going, but I intend to have a blast anyways. As to the question,
I have always found, when you prepare for the worst, the best happens:)

The car has been great, but a fan belt and spare headlight just make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Drive the Cherohala Skyway if you can. I like it better than Deal's Gap (The Dragon). Avoid Deal's Gap on Saturday and Sunday. You will get stuck in a Harley parade.

If you like seafood take a drive up to Calabash, N.C. or you can go to one of the Calabash Seafood Houses in Myrtle Beach.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
If you want to drive the dragon as it should be - stay nearby in Robinsville and wake up early. It'll probably be totally empty at 6 or 7am. You can drive it one way, see if there are any cops, then drive back as fast as you want. That's what I did

Reactions: speeddeacon

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have reworked my itinerary at everyone's suggestion,so that we will be driving the tail on Tuesday morning. I haven't had a chance to generate a Goggle map or further suggestions, my damn job keeps getting in the way.
I do appreciate all the suggestions and tips!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd love to be going on that trip. Myrtle Beach is a great place I visit yearly with a bunch of my local hackers. I'm not too far from you down near Niagara Falls. I'd love too see you new navigation system. Too bad London is so far away. Let me know how it works. There are just too many places in Myrtle to recommend. If I thing of any I'll post them later. My friend used to be employed in Myrtle as head of security on one of the local gambling ships. He took us to a great place outside of Myrtle where the ship was docked. I'll text him for the name of that place and others. Have a good trip.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts