Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Porsche and 981 owner (only 700 miles on the car) and I'm planning a week long road-trip to Steamboat Springs and then onto Yellowstone. In planning for the trip I'm wondering what are the must have items to take for the car?
Tires- I've read about the nightmares of getting a flat during a trip and how tire plugs kits can save the day. I've never had a car without a spare tire, so a plug kit seems like a good idea and I'd welcome any specific recommendations.

Oil- Is one spare quart adequate?

Cleaning - What about cleaning the exterior paint while on the road? I have a full front Xpel bra, but the idea of letting bug guts bake in the August sun for a week seems wrong. I'm thinking a detail spray and a few microfiber cloths, but I'd love the hear the experience of others.

Sunscreen - Being an Irish lad in a convertible, sunscreen is necessary. I've had issues with sunscreen staining the leather on a Lexus steering wheel, and having full leather on the door panels it seems like a potential problem. Any particular brands that are leather 'friendly'?

What else should I be thinking about?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
A hat. One spare quart of oil is likely to be ok. Windshield cleaner and microfiber cloths for glass in addition to detail spray and body microfiber cloths. There's a cupholder that goes on the floor and hooks under the console: much better for larger drinks. Weather tech rubber floor mats. Cheetos and wipes for your hands. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
All the things you mentioned plus the Schnell Autosports luggage. I'm not affiliated but their luggage is great and is made to fit the car. We never leave home without it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I'm a new Porsche and 981 owner (only 700 miles on the car) and I'm planning a week long road-trip to Steamboat Springs and then onto Yellowstone. What else should I be thinking about?
DO NOT PLAN TO DRIVE HWY 9 FROM SILVERTHORNE TO STEAMBOAT!!! Drive up Berthod Pass and through Granby on Hwy 40 - 2 massive standstill construction stops for road washdays and repaving killed our trip up there 2 weeks ago. Trip back through Winter Park and up Berthod was awesome, though! :hilarious:

Jeff

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
With no spare, you need to know the number to call during warranty (1-800-POR-SCHE) if you get a flat. After warranty, you need AAA coverage or the something like it. One quart of Mobil 1 0-40 (plus a clean rag to wipe) should do it. I take a different rag and a squirt bottle of detailer in case a bird poops on the car and the sun is out. Of course check your tire pressure and oil level before you take off. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
And take a tire pressure gauge.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks all for the tips!

A hat. One spare quart of oil is likely to be ok. Windshield cleaner and microfiber cloths for glass in addition to detail spray and body microfiber cloths. There's a cupholder that goes on the floor and hooks under the console: much better for larger drinks. Weather tech rubber floor mats. Cheetos and wipes for your hands. ;)
There will be no Cheetos!

If you're a member of the Boxster Register, here's a post that speaks to your question based on a 3,500 mile road trip in a 981 Boxster.... PCA Boxster Register
Sounds like I need to sign up for that site.

Instead of a bottle of glass cleaner and cloths, I find these work great and are more convenient. Amazon.com: Stoner 90164 'Invisible Glass' Glass Cleaner Wipe: Automotive
Look for sunscreen that says non-greasy or non-oily, and wash your hands if possible after applying and before you touch things in the car.
Good tip. I discovered Adam's Glass Sealant recently and am going to give that a shot.

DO NOT PLAN TO DRIVE HWY 9 FROM SILVERTHORNE TO STEAMBOAT!!! Drive up Berthod Pass and through Granby on Hwy 40 - 2 massive standstill construction stops for road washdays and repaving killed our trip up there 2 weeks ago. Trip back through Winter Park and up Berthod was awesome, though! :hilarious:

Jeff
Thanks for the heads up. I too went through that a few weeks ago. 6hrs from Steamboat to Arvada but at least I was in the wife's SUV vs. peppering the new 981 with gravel. I'm starting in the Fort Collins area, so Poudre Canyon will be the first leg on this trip.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
No Cheetos?!? You'll starve to death:)
Seriously, suggest you get a set of Porsche trunk and frunk liners, and also Das Scheild front and rear to protect the floor of the trunks from spills and the lids from dents. I love them. And maybe grill guards to keep junk and stones away from the evaporators and radiators. I have Zumsports.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If you're going by yourself, I'd get some kind of organizer for the passenger seat. When I do long trips, after about 4 hours, there's a jumble of maps, CD's, water bottles, jacket, and God-only-knows what else in that seat (?Cheetos).

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
so a plug kit seems like a good idea and I'd welcome any specific recommendations.
I have a Safety Seal kit I bought for 44.95 + shipping. It is very sturdy and works good. You might also want to take something to lay on while you are plugging the tire and tools to remove what ever punctured the tire-screw,bolt,nail etc. My last puncture was a #8 phillips head screw. If you have never plugged a tire before watch a video about it just to be familiar with the process. A plug kit is something you might never use but if you ever need one it will be a lifesaver. I don't know what it is about these Porsche tires but I have picked up two screws in 1 1/2 years. I have also read on this forum that the Black Jack brand with metal handles is recommended too.

SSKAP1-291x300.jpg

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Instead of a bottle of glass cleaner and cloths, I find these work great and are more convenient. Amazon.com: Stoner 90164 'Invisible Glass' Glass Cleaner Wipe: Automotive
I could swear I saw a variation that are individually packed so you can take a few and not the whole canister. I intent to look around for those.

If you're going by yourself, I'd get some kind of organizer for the passenger seat. When I do long trips, after about 4 hours, there's a jumble of maps, CD's, water bottles, jacket, and God-only-knows what else in that seat (?Cheetos).
Recently on TV I saw an ad for a mesh organizer to fit in the space between a car's front seats; intended to hold a purse but whatever. As I usually have someone in the other seat on trips and she's disinclined to ride with all my cr*p in her lap, I wonder if this is worth exploring. Really cheesy (as opposed to Cheeto-ey) TV ad, however. EDIT: looked on line, here is that product: https://www.buypursepouch.com/

·
Registered
140 Posts
First Aid Kit
Fire Extinguisher
Flashlight
Dashcam

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I could swear I saw a variation that are individually packed so you can take a few and not the whole canister. I intent to look around for those.
That canister is only slightly fatter than a can of tennis balls and weighs practically nothing.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Last month, I took an 1100 mile 4-day trip across WA state via the Cascade Hwy, down thru Fidalgo & Whidbey Islands, ferry to Port Townsend, all the way around the Olympic Peninsula, to Mt Rainier Park, and then back home on the east side of the state. The only thing I had with me for the car was a spray bottle of Invisible Glass (to clean bugs off the windshield). The only stuff I had for me were a Garmin Navi, a radar detector, and a small Igloo cooler full of ice and water bottles. The car went to the beauty (detail) shop the day after I got back, and it looks brand new again.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Last month, I took an 1100 mile 4-day trip across WA state via the Cascade Hwy, down thru Fidalgo & Whidbey Islands, ferry to Port Townsend, all the way around the Olympic Peninsula, to Mt Rainier Park, and then back home on the east side of the state. The only thing I had with me for the car was a spray bottle of Invisible Glass (to clean bugs off the windshield). The only stuff I had for me were a Garmin Navi, a radar detector, and a small Igloo cooler full of ice and water bottles. The car went to the beauty (detail) shop the day after I got back, and it looks brand new again.
That's a lot of driving! Any impressions that only emerged after many hours?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts