Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My poor Boxster S has the blues. It's been confined to the crummy straight, flat roads of South Florida since I bought it 2 years ago and even its headlights seem to be giving me a sad, sad look. I'm ready to appease it with a proper road trip, and with air travel being iffy these days I think it's a great time to visit my folks up in Long Island, New York.

I won't be in any particular hurry in either direction and want to find some sweet curved hilly roads where I am hopeful this beautiful beast will shine. I have blue ridge parkway / skyline drive on my radar as well as Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina, but am open to all ideas and suggestions and know that the folks in our community may have some amazing experiences with roads perfectly suited to our 6cyl mid-engined babies.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anything but I95! From Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway if you have time. Alternative would be I26 to I81; stop at Marion VA and do the Back of the Dragon up to Tazewell, VA.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Anything but I95! From Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway if you have time. Alternative would be I26 to I81; stop at Marion VA and do the Back of the Dragon up to Tazewell, VA.
Absolutely Do Back of the dragon- ~ 30 miles of turn after turn.

see my post here regarding my trip from NJ to GA

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As someone more famous then me wrote (and I am paraphrasing, not verbatim), Florida seems to be unfit for more than just human inhabitation :) All kidding aside, I really LOVE to land on FL airport around the last week of December, but abhor the upcoming driving experience.

US-129 (Deal's Gap, Dragon) and Asheville will certainly add a day or even two to your journey, but it will be worth it. Stop for a night in Asheville, don't push it - it is a very cool place IMO and worth spending an evening in it. From there, in the morning, jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway and enjoy the scenery.

I will have to warn you ... if you have heard about that road (whichever that is), so did everybody else. Expect chaos on the Tail and good part of the Blue Ridge. I wish you a good luck and best driving conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts