Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A group of us from the Nor'Easter region are planning to head down to The Dragon in mid-May. For those of you who are not familiar with that the "Dragon" is, please refer to the following link.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Some of you may remember the Roc'n'Croc event staged by spindoc and others in the past. Unfortunately spindoc won't have the time to plan this years event so we have some big shoes to fill!

Right now we're in the early planning stages of this event.

Where:
Deals Gap, NC

When:
Tuesday May 18 - Thursday May 20

Who: (*maybe)

1. gonzo
2. Retired-Teach
3. schwabe
4. caymanthusiast
5. PistolPete *
6. BigGuy
7. BlancoCay
8. coal0101*
9. bretster
10. scwaters*
11. TheChad*
12. AJK*
13. advantyper*
14. Jeff in NE GA
15. ARCuhTEK
16. alan93rsa
17. golfguy11800*
18. TN 0208*
19. roadmaster*
20. smounic*
21. macscaymans
22. c6gowin
23. fab944*
24. racerboy*

The Nor'easters plan to leave for North Carolina on Sunday morning and spend the evening in the Blacksburg, Virginia area before arriving in the area Monday afternoon/evening. We hope to add people to our caravan as we make our way south. Those of you that live by Blacksburg and would like to meet the group for dinner, please let us know also.

If you are interested in joining us, send me an email to

[email protected]

Please use an email address that you check regularly. We're keeping our hotel information offline for now.

Let us know if you have any questions! I'll post more trip itinerary details as they become available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That will be a great ride ride I just live about 30 miles from Deals Gap it is a good ride. I would also suggest driving on the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville N.C. to Tellico Plains T.N. Also on the weekend there is a lot of sport bikes on Deals Gap. I would try to go during the week where there are a lot less traffic.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info TN 0208. We're doing this midweek. Hopefully you can join us for a day or more. Keep an eye on this thread.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We'll need to stop here to get some official stickers for our cars after running the Dragon. You can't order these online, so if you want one, join us!

Deals Gap Store

·
Registered
557 Posts
This is tempting... Are leaving on 5/18 and coming home on 5/20.. 3 days? That would be driving down, driving the tail and then coming home. Not much time to really enjoy the area..

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
3 days in the Deals Gap area.

For the Nor'easters, the plan is

Sun, 5/16: Leave the NY area and stop for the night in VA

Mon, 5/17: Head into North Carolina via Asheville

Tue - Wed: Drive the Dragon and surrounding roads

Thur, 5/20: Head east to Asheville and jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Spend the evening around Fancy Gap, VA right off the Parkway

Fri 5/21: Continue North of the Parkway until Skyline Drive. Take the Interstates and head for home.

Of course those that want to skip Thursday night and shoot straight home, that is an option also.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Sounds like a great trip BUT 6 days away. This may sounds weak but can't leave my wife that long as she isn't well. 2-3 days is the max on her own.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's understandable Augie.

You can always travel down on your own to the area and drive with us for one or two days out of the three. Just let us know and we'll coordinate meeting up with you.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I've done the Tail of the Dragon and the only thing I'd have to add, is that the roads around the actual Dragon are more fun and less dangerous. The Dragon is a 2nd gear road, you can't go any faster unless you're just surrendering to blind luck. I saw 3 crashes when I did it. And you'll have motorcyclists all over your rear bumper trying to get by. The roads around it are much more fun.

Just my 2 cents. Other's experiences may vary.

·
Registered
882 Posts
While you are down that way, I suggest the Wayah Gap Road between Andrews NC and Franklin NC. I think this is actually better than US129, very twisty and much less traffic. Drive smart, drive safe. Ed

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After some discussion with a few Nor'Easter members, the tentative plan right now is to return home via the Blue Ridge Parkway that we'll pick up in Asheville, NC.

This will be more of a scenic drive back vs. a high speed ride. A few of us took parts of the Parkway back from Atlanta after CroctoberFest and that road was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

We'll jump off the Parkway Thursday evening before making the final push home on Friday via Parkway and Skyline Drive in VA.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I'll be tempted to join you out there. I have to find a trailer to bring my car over, but that may be a possibility by May.

Have ya'll thought of renting a cabin in Gatlinburg while you are in the area? They have cabins with up to 14 bedrooms, with a common kitchen, theater room, etc, etc. I've done that on a family trip before which worked well. There is enough separation that it would likely work for everyone. The common areas would also be a great place to recap the days activities, play footage from the drives, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only issue with a cabin would be the deposits needed for a large group. There are bound to be last minute cancellations. Right now with individual hotel rooms, we have full flexibility for last minute changes.

Last year for our Lake Placid trip, we almost lost the group rate for our reservations due to the number of last minute cancellations.

The cabin idea is great for something like a family gathering when you're obligated to attend. Can you imagine having some of the folks here as your relatives??? :hilarious:

Thanks for the suggestion however. Send me your email so that we can keep you up to date on things.

-Pete

I'll be tempted to join you out there. I have to find a trailer to bring my car over, but that may be a possibility by May.

Have ya'll thought of renting a cabin in Gatlinburg while you are in the area? They have cabins with up to 14 bedrooms, with a common kitchen, theater room, etc, etc. I've done that on a family trip before which worked well. There is enough separation that it would likely work for everyone. The common areas would also be a great place to recap the days activities, play footage from the drives, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'll most likely go for meeting near the Dragon. Driving from Cincinnati to Blacksburg would double the time to get to the Dragon but it might be a fun drive on it's own merit.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.